I've got a question? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I've got a question?

Mlapd

" Navy Chief" Hawaii in the House!
Reaction score
:confused: Say some of the players we had on the roster last year, " Gordon, Minor,
Lee, etc..." get cut and don't make the final roster. Do we still take a total hit against our cap with their salary, or is it a partial hit? Also, does it free up more money to maybe pick someone else up?

i dont think you free up money if you sign more people somehow

I think you misunderstood me. If we cut those players, how much money is free from the salary cap? Do we take the whole hit towards their salary or part of it? :nesucks:

When a player is released, usually, the team is not required to pay the salary and it will not count on the cap. However, vested veterans (those players with more than 4 yrs) who make the 53 man final roster are guaranteed their salary for that season even if they are later released by the team. Another case will be if a player has a partial guarantee. That is, say a player is scheduled to make $2 million but if released the team is required to pay $1 million of that salary because during negotiations they agreed to guarantee a portion of it.

thanks clump, man, its really complicated :hmmm:

It is just a bit more complicated and the simplification by the media is misleading. Can't blame Clump for this one.

A vested vet after the first game of the season can claim termination pay, the remainder of his salary for the year if cut, and is entitled to termination pay once for the life of his career.

Hey, Thanks clumpy! You made it pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom