Jags interview Shula! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jags interview Shula!

I don't buy it. If he can't get better in the NFL, he could surely get a head coaching job at I-AA or even II. I'd call that a better choice for him.

Now that, I think is true.

I don't know what qualifies him for better than a college position
after posting only one winning season at his level.

Now that, I think is true.

I don't know what qualifies him for better than a college position
after posting only one winning season at his level.

You are aware of the shape Alabama was in, right? By most accounts, he is at minimum a hell of a recruiter. That might not mean anything in the NFL, but it would in the college game.

You are aware of the shape Alabama was in, right? By most accounts, he is at minimum a hell of a recruiter. That might not mean anything in the NFL, but it would in the college game.

I'm not a huge follower of the college game, but, I do know Bama has
alot of seniors coming back.

That QB they have fit within the system, and, little else, though.

I watched some Bama games since the SEC has gotten that network deal, and, I was profoundly unimpressed with thier performance.

Hey, I really don't wish the guy ill. I figgure the guy was a HC at Bama, and,
should at least rate another HC job in college.

Shula is one of several people being interviewed by the Jags. He has not been hired as the thread title implied.

I changed the title to make it more accurate at this point in time. :wink:

I'm not a huge follower of the college game, but, I do know Bama has
alot of seniors coming back.

Yep. That's his first recruiting class (other than any 5th year players).

Alabama came off of the sort of head coaching carousel that reminds me of Miami's OC carousel in 2004. They were also on probation when he took over. Mike Shula can proudly say he left Alabama better than he found it.

Yep. That's his first recruiting class (other than any 5th year players).

Alabama came off of the sort of head coaching carousel that reminds me of Miami's OC carousel in 2004. They were also on probation when he took over. Mike Shula can proudly say he left Alabama better than he found it.

That's what Saban said too.

I wonder how many Bama fans would take exception to your post?

I'm not saying I disagree, mind you.

That's what Saban said too.

I wonder how many Bama fans would take exception to your post?

I'm actually an Alabama fan myself. From the discussions I have participated in, most of us believe he was a very good recruiter but that he was either in way over his head as coach or just wasn't very good at it. I think that talk is overblown. He made some hiring mistakes, and he did make a number of tactical mistakes as well. It's nothing that would really concern me too much because he is a young coach learning as he goes. The worst of it if you ask me was how he didn't pull his starters against Florida in 2005, resulting in the devastating injury to Prothro.

I'm actually an Alabama fan myself. From the discussions I have participated in, most of us believe he was a very good recruiter but that he was either in way over his head as coach or just wasn't very good at it. I think that talk is overblown. He made some hiring mistakes, and he did make a number of tactical mistakes as well. It's nothing that would really concern me too much because he is a young coach learning as he goes. The worst of it if you ask me was how he didn't pull his starters against Florida in 2005, resulting in the devastating injury to Prothro.

Well, then, I suppose you have a better perspective on it than I do.

What you said was pretty much what I've been hearing in general.

I don't think he was a good game day coach either. Bama seemed
outgunned and, just waiting for bad things to happen in the games
I saw here in TX.

For the things you mentioned, and, what I've seen, I dont' think he rates higher than a QB coach (Hey, I'm a big one on a Don Strock hire for that one on our Phins) or another college HC job...But that's about it.

I don't think he was a good game day coach either. Bama seemed
outgunned and, just waiting for bad things to happen in the games
I saw here in TX.

If your observations are based on the string of games starting with Mississippi State late in the season, the account of Saban's betrayal of the Dolphins seems to indicate that Saban's agent had already begun undermining Shula by that point, so it's possible that the problems were a result of the internal strife.

If your observations are based on the string of games starting with Mississippi State late in the season, the account of Saban's betrayal of the Dolphins seems to indicate that Saban's agent had already begun undermining Shula by that point, so it's possible that the problems were a result of the internal strife.

I wish I could remember the games I saw....Probably about 4 were televised here. Arkansas.....A few more.

That Kicker sealed Schula's fate I think....The one on Bama...Didn't he miss a buttload of FGs? I remember Bama having to go for it alot in FG range.

I wish I could remember the games I saw....Probably about 4 were televised here. Arkansas.....A few more.

That Kicker sealed Schula's fate I think....The one on Bama...Didn't he miss a buttload of FGs? I remember Bama having to go for it alot in FG range.

Most college kickers blow, so I can't blame him too much.

The Arkansas game was really early in the season, and I do recall it being a pretty shocking loss.

Back
Top Bottom