jake long is not joe thomas | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

jake long is not joe thomas

no, they were talking about him being a franchise LT

Joe Thomas definitely had some question marks about him . . . regarding injury history and strength . . . and people were questioning him . . . don't buy into all of that nonsense . . . he is the best tackle in the draft, graded a top 5 prospect by almost everyone and fills the biggest need on this team. Not to mention he is a PROTOTYPE of the type of tackle that Parcells covets.

I mean its almost like a no brainer

And so do the experts..

That's why he won't be available at 32. Not EVEN CLOSE. He will be gone way before pick #20.

If we're stupid enough to pass on him at #1, there's no way he gets past KC at #5. Why do half of the members on these boards want to peg him as a RT? As mentioned by someone above, he is the prototypical LT - a huge man with super long arms and pretty much no fat on him. Vernon Carey did fairly well at LT last year and I don't think anyone would claim Carey is quicker or faster or Long. That being the case, how do people see him as a RT on our team???

If we're stupid enough to pass on him at #1, there's no way he gets past KC at #5. Why do half of the members on these boards want to peg him as a RT? As mentioned by someone above, he is the prototypical LT - a huge man with super long arms and pretty much no fat on him. Vernon Carey did fairly well at LT last year and I don't think anyone would claim Carey is quicker or faster or Long. That being the case, how do people see him as a RT on our team???

Go read alot of draft boards and see what scouts are saying he's great but might be better suited for RT in the nfl Due to his slower foot work.

I dont know if anyone knows this ,but Jake Long beat out Joe Thomas and Levi Brown last year for the Big 10 Offensive Lineman of the year award. Take it for what its worth but awards have to count for something. And commiting only 2 penalties his whole college career is pretty impressive.

you dont grade a player out by stats, how many rbs qbs had great stats and sucked in the pros. plus i dont think chris or jake are a number 1 pick either. there are always better players draft after the first round also.
if experts were experts, tom brady,terrel davis,zack,jt, and so on and so on.
would of been first rounders also. so you cant say there wont be any body there at 32 that cant be as good as jake long or even matt ryan when history proves otherwise. myself i like brandon albert i think he is a stud.

True

long is not as a good athlete as thomas is.
which is why some think he will have trouble with speed rushers
dont get me wrong, he may be a very good LT but may not be a great one.
if people think he can do what joe thomas did for the browns there's gonna be alot of fans upset because it may come from the right side.
and if thats the case do we really want to draft a rt with the first pick in
which we could find in the 2nd round.
no one knows for sure until they put the pads on.
just hope he is not robert gallery

Actually if you look at their combine resuls athleticly they are pretty close.

Long is a little strong and little more agile based on the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle.

Thomas is faster in a straight line, and has a better vertical and broad jumb.

Jake Long, DS #1 OT, Michigan
100822007-1.jpg
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Name: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Jake Long[/SIZE][/FONT]
College: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Michigan[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Number: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]77[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Height:[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 6-7[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Weight:[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 313[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Position: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]OT[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Pos2:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Class/Draft Year:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]rSr/2008[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 Time:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5.22[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 Low:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5.12[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 High:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]5.29[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Projected Round: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT] Stock:
same-1.gif

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Rated number [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT] out of 165 OT's[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4[/SIZE][/FONT] / 2540 TOTAL[/SIZE][/FONT]</STRONG>
33-1.jpg
Combine Results

Pro Day Results
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Combine Invite:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Yes[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Height:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6070[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Weight:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]313[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]40 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]5.22[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]2.97[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]1.75[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]225 Lb. Bench Reps:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]37[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Vertical Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]27 1/2[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Broad Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]08'06"[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Shuttle:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.73[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]3-Cone Drill:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]7.44[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Dates:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]03/13/08 03/14/08 [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Height:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6070[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Weight:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]313[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]40 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]225 Lb. Bench Reps:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Vertical Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Broad Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Shuttle:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]3-Cone Drill:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Before Combine: Hgt: 6070, Wgt: 315, 40YD: 4.96-5.08-5.17[/SIZE][/FONT]

VS
12696-1.jpg
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Name: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Joe Thomas
[/FONT] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
College: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Wisconsin
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Number: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]72[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Height:[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 6-7[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Weight:[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 311[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Position: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]OT[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Pos2:[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Class/Draft Year:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Sr/2007[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 Time:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4.92[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 Low:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4.90[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]40 High:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4.97[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Projected Round: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT] Stock:
same-1.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Rated number [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT] out of 170 OT's[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE][/FONT] / 2353 TOTAL[/SIZE][/FONT]
40-1.jpg
Combine Results

Pro Day Results
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Combine Invite:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Yes[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Height:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6065[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Weight:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]311[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]40 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.92[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]2.87[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]1.75[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]225 Lb. Bench Reps:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]28[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Vertical Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]33[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Broad Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]09'02"[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Shuttle:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.88[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]3-Cone Drill:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]7.95[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Dates:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]03/07/07 [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Height:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6065[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Weight:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]311[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]40 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]225 Lb. Bench Reps:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Vertical Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Broad Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Shuttle:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]3-Cone Drill:[/SIZE][/FONT]

</STRONG>

All I know is Jake Long only gave up ONE sack in his last two years and was not penalized a single time. Sounds to me like he will be a great offensive lineman. They were talking to Jake on the Jim Rome yesterday and he said he was left handed and would feel comfortable playing either the left or right side, but he would prefer the left side. He steam rolls guys like few others and I think he would be a great asset and worth the #1 overall pick. Who cares about Joe Thomas?

All I know is Jake Long only gave up ONE sack in his last two years and was not penalized a single time. Sounds to me like he will be a great offensive lineman. They were talking to Jake on the Jim Rome yesterday and he said he was left handed and would feel comfortable playing either the left or right side, but he would prefer the left side. He steam rolls guys like few others and I think he would be a great asset and worth the #1 overall pick. Who cares about Joe Thomas?

What Joe Thomas did for the Browns...along with Steinbach....seems J. Long and Smiley could do for the Dolphins.

That's the thing that really scares me about Jake Long. I think he will be a great, perennial pro-bowl Tackle. But I also have that uneasy feeling that he might be, like you said, the next Robert Gallery. Or worse yet, the next Tony Mandarich.

It is more likely that jake Long is no Robert Gallery by miles moreso than Jake Long is no Joe Thomas by miles.

yeah I would say this with complete certainty. Whatever Jake Long lacks in regards to athleticsm to Thomas, Thomas lacks the killer attitude of Jake Long.

If Jake Long tells BP and co. that he is ready to sign on the dotted line and Chris Long hesitates, then you can just chalk up Jake Long as our pick at #1. And i would be happy.

Go read alot of draft boards and see what scouts are saying he's great but might be better suited for RT in the nfl Due to his slower foot work.

Its assinine how people come to this conclusion. What difference does it make anyways when you have teams who move their best guy to both sides anyhow? Jason Taylor makes huge plays from both sides so you better have a good RT anyways.

Jake Long would be great on both sides and is sure as hell better at LT than Carey is so....get on with it already!

both are very very good prospects that had few questions against them after junior years, and then people began to overanalyze them as seniors.

And those comparing Long to Thomas and Gallery. Just cause they are all Big Ten OTs does not mean they're the same players. Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin don't have the same gameplans.

Back
Top Bottom