Jason Taylor: I tried everything to stay with Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Taylor: I tried everything to stay with Dolphins

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
A frustrated Jason Taylor said at his offices in Weston Tuesday night that he made every effort to re-sign with the Dolphins before finally concluding they weren’t interested, prompting his decision to agree to a two-year deal with the New York Jets that will be signed today.
“This was my one chance to play, and I did not want to let that bird get away,” Taylor said in a 35-minute question-and-answer session with the South Florida media at his Jason Taylor Foundation offices.
Taylor said he turned down an offer made to him in November 2009 to play next season for the same $1 million base salary he played for last year. He said that offer was off the table by December. No other offer came.
“I didn’t sign it for the same reason Dwayne Wade didn’t sign with the Heat last summer,” he said. “We’re going into an uncapped year.”
He had set up a meeting with coach Tony Sparano for last week only to have it canceled. He left for a weekend of vacation in Costa Rica and found when he got down there his cell phone didn’t work.
“When I got back I expected my phone to blow up with text messages,” he said. “There weren’t any. Just a couple of e-mails.”
He said his only contact with the Dolphins’ front office came over the past several months was with Sparano, and that he had no conversations with either Bill Parcells or GM Jeff Ireland since November. But when he heard only silence from the Miami end he had no choice but to accept the Jets’ offer.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed.../jt-i-tried-everything-to-stay-with-dolphins/

I would have done the same thing for that money. I hope it helps him and his children. It's just a damn shame he's not a Dolphin, and a worse shame that of all teams it's the Jets.

I think Rex Ryan is behind this ****... just trying to piss off Dolphin fans.

I don't know why he couldn't just wait like 5 more days to see where things stood with the Dolphins. They told him they would address it after the draft.
I think he jumped the gun and now finds himself on the outside looking in.

So long JT - it was fun while it lasted.

He tried to get them in a bidding war by negotiating through the media and it didn't work.

They were working on the Dansby Deal, the Marshall signing and the draft.

He is STILL basically negotiating through the media.

Parcells & Ireland seem to have been very fair, honest and direct with him, and in return JT has slimed them every step of the way. Basically exactly the same way he did 2 years ago.

What does he not understand about "after the draft" ?

But whatever. I wouldn't want to be plan B either. I'm still pissed at him for going to the Jets, but it's just whatever.

I'm a Jets fan and I'm keeping up with what the Jets are doing more than the Dolphins. It was mentioned why he didn't wait till after the draft. I believe he didn't wait because Rex and the Jets needed his decision before the draft so they could plan a strategy and get the BPA rather than get another pass rusher. it's possible that he was probably given an ultimatum by the Jets and it would expire 24hrs before the draft. Apparently he didn't feel the Dolphins would match what the Jets were offering, or that he would even be given an offer. They gave him an offer he couldn't refuse basically. Maybe the Dolphins thought JT was bluffing and didn't feel he'd sign with the enemy. For that money, I don't think you guys can blame him.

Never COMPARE YOURSELF TO DWAYNE WADE jason!!

Why should he wait till after the draft? I mean Pennington resigned, Ferguson resigned, and is suspened 8 games. Why should he wait?

Those guys signed the offers that were made to them because they WANTED to stay here.

JT turned down the offer they made him in november.

It's not the same.

Those guys signed the offers that were made to them because they WANTED to stay here.

JT turned down the offer they made him in november.

It's not the same.

Are you serious!? They didnt sign the contract in Nov now did they? They signed in March. Your telling me JT didnt want to stay here? He wait mad long for the Phins to just offer a contract! You think he wanted to go to the Jets? No but hes got to go where hes wanted and where theres work. Hes got kids, and a wife, he has a mouth to feed and a roof over their heads. I would have done the same thing. Screw Parcells

Ugh, I hate the fact that he is going to play for the Jets. But he is right, Dolphins never made him an offer.

Who cares? Jason is only about 70% of his former ability and we never won anything with him. I think he burned his bridge when he went dancing. Let's get younger and faster and let the Jets get older.

Back
Top Bottom