Jaws Ranks Matt Flynn's Arm Strength Rock Bottom (The Wisdom of Coach Joe) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaws Ranks Matt Flynn's Arm Strength Rock Bottom (The Wisdom of Coach Joe)

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Before Flynn even came out and left with the tepid offer, I didn't have warm fuzzy feelings about him on the basis of 2 performances for an offensive juggernaut and being drafted a lot closer to Mr Irrelevant than a 4th rounder. However I was philosophical that if Philbin, one of the guys that knew him best wanted him to hitch his head coaching wagon to, then I was all for it. Obviously, Joe didn't think enough of him to have Ireland make an enthusiastic offer and of course in hindsight, possibly being beaten out by 2 rookies named "Wislon," all's well that ended well for us. (well at least so far)

Now Jaws weighs in about negative arm strength and that Flynn can be successful, but only if shoe-horned into a specific scheme that minimizes his negatives. Just glad we've got a guy whose arm seemed to be a plus in the decision of our prize long ball receiver who can also zip it in on a dime. Whew

When the late Raiders owner Al Davis was calling the shots, a strong-armed quarterback was a necessity. So it’s a strong sign of the changing times in Oakland that the biggest question about this year’s presumed starter, Matt Flynn, is arm strength.
Flynn arrives in Oakland having started just two games in his NFL career, so there’s not a lot of film of him to study. But Ron Jaworski of ESPN has studied the film that’s available and ranked Flynn dead last among the NFL’s 32 starting quarterbacks. The reason is Flynn’s lack of arm strength.
“The more throws I watched, the more his arm strength limitations were evident,” Jaworski said on NFL Live while diagramming a touchdown pass Flynn threw with the Packers. “The fade, as you see here, is not an arm-strength throw. It’s more of a touch throw. In fact, I was concerned that his few deep balls lost energy at the back end. They had a tendency to die.”
Jaworski thinks Flynn can succeed in the NFL, but he’ll need an offense tailored to his accuracy, and not an offense relying on arm strength. That doesn’t sound like the kind of offense we’re accustomed to seeing in Silver and Black. Source: PFT

Maybe this Philbin guy knows a thing or two. Being the OC there he got to witness Flynn's cannon arm everyday in practice.

Me thinks he fainted interest just to help his former QB find a job :)

Maybe this Philbin guy knows a thing or two. Being the OC there he got to witness Flynn's cannon arm everyday in practice.

Me thinks he fainted interest just to help his former QB find a job :)

I think he liked Flynn some but I never understood why any team would pay him big money based on a couple of games. Of course I never saw the fascination with Matt Hasselback and was quite wrong

Yea Hasselback just won games.

I think we almost got him before he went to Seattle. Supposedly it was for a 2nd which was our modus operandi back in the Wanny days.

What could have been with Ricky running the ball and him as our QB :idk:

i didnt take a rocket scientist to realize matt flynn was no good.

the guys arm stinks, and just because he had 1 great game vs the lions in an exhibition game pretty much considering it meant nothing for the packers or the lions i believe, i felt it would have been insane to give flynn the money he was seeking, when we had matt moore on our team who is prob better than flynn.

so happy we never got him because i never really was a fan of him to begin with.

I think we almost got him before he went to Seattle. Supposedly it was for a 2nd which was our modus operandi back in the Wanny days.

Probably a superbowl appearance. IM still so angry we passed on Brees for Fletcher. I knew Matt Ryan would be good but Jake was still a good player to pick(just never believe LT is more important than QB) but Brees for a 3rd corner is plain stupid. I remember on Phinzone so many people saying well he is not an improvement over Fielder and was like huh

ha ha...i'd wait for him to actually fail this season before i started putting feathers in the cap...that said it's gonna be an uphill climb for any qb in oakland...

and you thought Quinn, Culpecker, Ms Cleo, Orton would be/were steps in the right direction. :idk: (but of course, if we had signed him, you would have agreed enthusiastically)

Yea but Im just an informed fan not some ex football player who is acting like an expert.
Im sure everybody on this board has had their fair of players they were wrong on.]
I remember how Ted Ginn and Lorenzo Booker were going to be to fast for NFL defenses or how Beck was better than Matt Ryan on this board.
Also on Quinn I was never a huge supporter of him but yes I feel we should have went Quinn over Ginn. At least instead of two busts we would have had one.
Boomer was the guy that was really high on Quinn. I liked Orton at a reasonable price and a third round pick. Hell we wasted a few first round picks and lets not act like the other contracts we signed were all awesome.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

ha ha...i'd wait for him to actually fail this season before i started putting feathers in the cap...that said it's gonna be an uphill climb for any qb in oakland...

Yea if we had no interest at all in Flynn we would not have wasted our time making any offer. Philben saw him for years so there was no need to bring him in if he felt he was that bad, he just didnt feel he was a great qb, more like a possible starter

Last edited by a moderator:

Well the question is how would Hassleback have done outside of the WCO. Holmgren drafted Matty in Green Bay, and then traded for him. Look at AJ Feely. He looked great in relief for McNabb, we traded for him and he became a pick-6 machine. He goes back to Philly as a backup and looks good.

As for Flynn, I'm sure he would've been okay here, but I was never a fan of giving him a hefty long term commitment. I think in Oakland's WCO he can look solid, but again, I wouldn't be shocked if a strong armed QB like Tyler Wilson impresses coaches a bit more a la Russell Wilson

And to think a lot of fans wanted to sign him.

d-1

if Philbin wasn't the one who saw him so up close and personal, distinct possibility it could have been us behind this expensive 8-Ball. Fortunately, things seem to be working out nicely:

per PFT:

After breaking down the obvious, that Matt Flynn didn’t play well, the Raiders also admitted how close Terrelle Pryor was to making him a moot point.
According to Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, Raiders coach Dennis Allen said they erred on the side of “extreme caution” with Pryor’s concussion.

“We were actually at a point where we were ready to go with Terrelle,” Allen said. “We visited with him one more time with the doctors, and we just didn’t feel good about letting him play. It just wasn’t the right thing to do, and we wanted to make sure we did right by him.”

Allen said he was “very hopeful,” that Pryor would be able to return next week against the Chargers.

“We were at the point where we were about ready to say, ‘He’s got it,’ but we just didn’t feel comfortable going ahead and letting him play,” Allen said.
While having so much staked to Terrelle Pryor speaks to the overall situation in Oakland, Flynn’s deficiencies made it clear how much they need him.

Back
Top Bottom