Ja'Wuan James | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ja'Wuan James

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
There has been alot of talk about James recently and I have my reservations. His up and down performance reminds me of John Jerry. Aguy with alot of ability, but someone you can not count on to give optimum effort on every down and that scares me.
Ja'Wuan James – Tackle

James is a fourth year senior and has started every game of his college career. On the hoof, he looks the part at about 6’6 – 320 with long arms. He lines up at right tackle for the Vols and flashes top talent. My concern is he is an up-and-down player. Not only from game to game but also from play to play.
He plays form both a 2-point and 3-point stance. He has good snap reaction and good initial quickness. He can have a tendency to get tall, and I don’t see him as a natural bender, but there are times when he plays with good bend. As a run blocker, he shows he can get movement when blocking an opponent head up. He can get to the block quickly and shows he can run his feet on contact. The problem is, he doesn’t consistently run his feet. There are times when he stops his feet on contact and then restarts. When making down blocks or when trying to block at the second level, he shows inconsistencies. He doesn’t always take good angles and doesn’t always get to the block on time. He can get a little lazy in his play. I looked at three tapes from this year (Florida, Missouri and Alabama), and he was inconsistent in most phases of the game against Missouri and Florida but played well against Alabama. When on the move, he can be inconsistent. He doesn’t play with good speed and can have trouble adjusting on the move to hit a moving a target.
In pass protection, he sets with adequate quickness and shows a good punch. He generally does a good job with bull rushes and is fairly good with outside speed. He struggles with counter moves. In numerous plays, an opponent starts outside and comes back across James' face, and James lacks the recovery quicks to stop the charge. He has the physical traits to be able to slide and recover. I just don’t think he anticipates that well.
James can be an enigma. He looks like a top round talent, at times, and a free agent at other times. He has the talent to be a starting right tackle or guard in the NFL, but he is going to have to play more consistently to be trusted to get the job done. I would want my line coach to spend a lot of time with this player before deciding to draft him. At this time, I see him as a mid-round player but don’t be surprised if he goes higher.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Tennessee-Offense.html

There is some truth to what he's saying, but it's overstated. Greg Gabriel is meh.. There is a reason why he's working for nationalfootballpost.com and not still with the Bears....................

I have James as the #24 overall prospect. He will be a top 8-10 right tackle.

I just listened to an interview that WINZ did with James and I was very impressed with what he had to say. He was very polite, articulate and he thanked the Dolphin's staff for the time they took to meet with him and get to know him. He seems like a high character guy and hard worker. He's from the Atlanta area and said he had good thoughts about the Phins. I can't say I have watched James play, but he seems like a guy who would be a nice fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just listened to an interview that WINZ did with James and I was very impressed with what he had to say. He was vwry polite, articulate and he thanked the Dolphin's staff for the time they took to meet with him and get to know him. He seems like a high character guy and hard worker. He's from the Atlanta area and said he had good thoughts about the Phins. I can't say I have watched James play, but he seems like a guy who would be a nice fit.

Team Captain. And started 49 games in the SEC.. usually I don't like overstating the SEC, but there are some grown men who play in the trenches in the SEC..

He's going to check out 10 out of 10 off the field as far as his character is concerned.

I've had my eye on the guy for years.

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...eniors&p=1064583006&viewfull=1-post1064583006

ckparrothead said:
I'll add to this.

Tennessee Volunteers - OT JaWuan James (#70)
Listed at 6'6" and 324 lbs

Reminds me of Vernon Carey or Orlando Franklin. Very heavy-boned, solid, technically sound and smooth. Powerful, engulfs even big players. Made Devin Taylor look undraftable, which was something All Star players at the Shrine Game couldn't do, nor Cornell Green of Florida. He's started 37 games at right tackle. Don't know if he'll move to left tackle in place of departing Dallas Thomas, but I think he ought to give it a try. Could pay off.

Going back to the 2012 tape and evaluating guys like Dallas Thomas, Zach Fulton, Antonio Richardson and JaWuan James it was always clear to me which of the four players had the brightest pro future.

He's big at 6'6" and usually runs in the 320 lbs range during the season I think. He's one of those naturally big guys too, has an 82 inch (6'10") wing span. Unusual agility for the kind of player.

I wish I'd gotten more chance to see him against the likes of Jadaveon Clowney. I'll have to settle for the likes of Devin Taylor, Jarvis Jones, Cornelius Washington, Dee Ford, Michael Sam and Dante Fowler. Most of those guys he absolutely shut down. Some of like like Devin Taylor, Dee Ford and Michael Sam looked borderline undraftable in the games they played against JaWuan James.

He's not unbeatable. Markus Golden (whom I've got tabbed for watching closely for 2015) got him on a nice speed to power move, sacked the quarterback. I think Ronald Powell was able to cut inside of him one time though he didn't even end up hurrying the quarterback if I'm not mistaken. Dante Fowler got a sack but it wasn't exactly a fair fight as the play saw James down blocking initially before having to redirect back out to try and pick up Fowler who had blitzed from a linebacker position.

There's an added benefit with James that if for some reason you don't end up liking him at tackle he could still perhaps move inside to right guard and be viable. It's a chance, a projection, but what is on the tape that makes you think the projection worthwhile is enough to offer a little added slice of value onto JaWuan James draft stock. He has the makings of being a versatile player.

Right tackle is not a well understood position when it comes to the normal conventions of evaluation, in my opinion. If you were to regress PFF grades against draft position you will find that the correlation between draft position and grades is only half as strong among right tackles as it is left tackles. What does that mean? It means when it comes to a right tackle a guy drafted in the 6th round way too commonly outplays the guy drafted in the 3rd round...which means the NFL isn't getting it right. Left tackle is much more orderly.

This is the primary reason a right tackle is not considered a position you should be drafting high. It's not because the position itself lacks value. Try telling your coach the position lacks value when you just lost because Tyson Clabo couldn't come even close to blocking Mario Williams during a critical portion of the game. There's too much chaos to noise in the evaluation and so the 6th and 7th rounders often outperform the 2nd and 3rd rounders. That's the reason it's considered to be a position you don't need to draft in the 1st round. If the NFL actually were getting it right on the right tackles, and the talents were being sorted into a more orderly fashion, suddenly you'd need to draft one early to get one.

Knowing the conventions aren't getting it right, my gut tells me to reduce things down to basics. I want guys I've seen playing there. Guys I've seen play in a lot of games. Guys I've seen play talented players. Guys that have the standard physical measurements (i.e. fit the prototype). This is why if I have an immediate need at right tackle, to hell if I'll draft a Zack Martin and roll the dice that way. I want guys I've seen do it multiple years like Jake Matthews, Morgan Moses or JaWuan James.

Would I take JaWuan James at 19? Ultimately I intend to do better than filling immediate needs. But then, I wouldn't have walked into the draft NEEDING to think about forcing a JaWuan James pick, either. Ideally you want to have viable options at every position before the draft so that you're free to pick the best value.

If you truly believe Ryan Tannehill is a star in the making, that he and Mike Wallace are going to get their chemistry and that this team is on the right track...I think absolutely you go ahead and fill your immediate need with guys like Morgan Moses or JaWuan James at 19 overall. You do that because allowing a HOLE in the roster to persist can prevent your star players from being star players. One of the most commonly cited rules of roster building is that you don't have to be great or even good everywhere, but you can't be bad anywhere.

He's going to check out 10 out of 10 off the field as far as his character is concerned.

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...eniors&p=1064583006&viewfull=1-post1064583006

Going back to the 2012 tape and evaluating guys like Dallas Thomas, Zach Fulton, Antonio Richardson and JaWuan James it was always clear to me which of the four players had the brightest pro future.

He's big at 6'6" and usually runs in the 320 lbs range during the season I think. He's one of those naturally big guys too, has an 82 inch (6'10") wing span. Unusual agility for the kind of player.

I wish I'd gotten more chance to see him against the likes of Jadaveon Clowney. I'll have to settle for the likes of Devin Taylor, Jarvis Jones, Cornelius Washington, Dee Ford, Michael Sam and Dante Fowler. Most of those guys he absolutely shut down. Some of like like Devin Taylor, Dee Ford and Michael Sam looked borderline undraftable in the games they played against JaWuan James.

He's not unbeatable. Markus Golden (whom I've got tabbed for watching closely for 2015) got him on a nice speed to power move, sacked the quarterback. I think Ronald Powell was able to cut inside of him one time though he didn't even end up hurrying the quarterback if I'm not mistaken. Dante Fowler got a sack but it wasn't exactly a fair fight as the play saw James down blocking initially before having to redirect back out to try and pick up Fowler who had blitzed from a linebacker position.

There's an added benefit with James that if for some reason you don't end up liking him at tackle he could still perhaps move inside to right guard and be viable. It's a chance, a projection, but what is on the tape that makes you think the projection worthwhile is enough to offer a little added slice of value onto JaWuan James draft stock. He has the makings of being a versatile player.

Right tackle is not a well understood position when it comes to the normal conventions of evaluation, in my opinion. If you were to regress PFF grades against draft position you will find that the correlation between draft position and grades is only half as strong among right tackles as it is left tackles. What does that mean? It means when it comes to a right tackle a guy drafted in the 6th round way too commonly outplays the guy drafted in the 3rd round...which means the NFL isn't getting it right. Left tackle is much more orderly.

This is the primary reason a right tackle is not considered a position you should be drafting high. It's not because the position itself lacks value. Try telling your coach the position lacks value when you just lost because Tyson Clabo couldn't come even close to blocking Mario Williams during a critical portion of the game. There's too much chaos to noise in the evaluation and so the 6th and 7th rounders often outperform the 2nd and 3rd rounders. That's the reason it's considered to be a position you don't need to draft in the 1st round. If the NFL actually were getting it right on the right tackles, and the talents were being sorted into a more orderly fashion, suddenly you'd need to draft one early to get one.

Knowing the conventions aren't getting it right, my gut tells me to reduce things down to basics. I want guys I've seen playing there. Guys I've seen play in a lot of games. Guys I've seen play talented players. Guys that have the standard physical measurements (i.e. fit the prototype). This is why if I have an immediate need at right tackle, to hell if I'll draft a Zack Martin and roll the dice that way. I want guys I've seen do it multiple years like Jake Matthews, Morgan Moses or JaWuan James.

Would I take JaWuan James at 19? Ultimately I intend to do better than filling immediate needs. But then, I wouldn't have walked into the draft NEEDING to think about forcing a JaWuan James pick, either. Ideally you want to have viable options at every position before the draft so that you're free to pick the best value.

If you truly believe Ryan Tannehill is a star in the making, that he and Mike Wallace are going to get their chemistry and that this team is on the right track...I think absolutely you go ahead and fill your immediate need with guys like Morgan Moses or JaWuan James at 19 overall. You do that because allowing a HOLE in the roster to persist can prevent your star players from being star players. One of the most commonly cited rules of roster building is that you don't have to be great or even good everywhere, but you can't be bad anywhere.

I have Ja'Wuan in the late 1st, and you did a great job breaking him down. Such a great scheme fit for Miami. The problem is that you have to force 2 OL in the first 3 rounds now. I wouldn't have done that myself, so I agree with you on that 100% You never want to draft for need, but when your franchise QB got sacked 58 times, you fill that damn need any means possible. Don't want a David Carr 2.0 on your hands.

IMO the best 5 RT's are (order doesn't matter) Sebastian Vollmer, Phil Loadholt, Gosder Cherilus, Andre Smith, and Anthony Davis. (Coincidently 4/5 were free agents last year.. but with 50 M$ Ireland settled for Tyson Clabo.. but I digress)

Vollmer was taken #58 in 2009
Loadholt was taken #54 in 2009
Cherilus was taken #17 in 2008
Smith was taken #6 in 2009
Davis was taken #11 in 2010

So going by that trend, if you want a really good one, take him in first 2 rounds. Of the 5 I would say James compares most to Cherilus.

Articulated tremendously

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Miami can still sign a FA guard. Why don't hey have to draft a guard in the first three rounds?

Articulated tremendously

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Miami can still sign a FA guard. Why don't hey have to draft a guard in the first three rounds?

Davin Joseph is still out there.. not a long term answer at guard but can be a bridge starter for a year.. forgot he was still out there

I think the "who's the best" question at right tackle may be a bit loaded. It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Part of the reason those guys are considered the best is BECAUSE they were taken high. And so it's no wonder when you stack them up it looks like a trend that they were all taken high.

Meanwhile guys like Demar Dotson (UDFA) and Zach Strief (7th round) are playing as good or better than many of those guys. They're not as well regarded, and a big part of the reason is their draft position. Doug Free (4th round) and Tyler Polumbus (UDFA) also performed just as well as any of those guys. Joe Barksdale (3rd round) and LaAdrian Waddle (UDFA) also performed very well.

For years, until he got old and tried to switch teams and systems, Tyson Clabo (UDFA) was among the best performing RTs in the NFL. So were Eric Winston (3rd round) and David Stewart (4th round). Austin Howard (UDFA) collected a big paycheck in free agency this year as well.

Using statistical tools and trends to take lessons about roster management and football in general is an underrated avenue of exploration...however if it's a tool you're going to use, you have to have a firm grounding in it in order to make sure you're not running afoul of statistical traps.

I would rather trade up from 50 than reach at 19 and waste a shot at an explosive playmaker for the offense.

I think the "who's the best" question at right tackle may be a bit loaded. It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Part of the reason those guys are considered the best is BECAUSE they were taken high. And so it's no wonder when you stack them up it looks like a trend that they were all taken high.

Meanwhile guys like Demar Dotson (UDFA) and Zach Strief (7th round) are playing as good or better than many of those guys. They're not as well regarded, and a big part of the reason is their draft position. Doug Free (4th round) and Tyler Polumbus (UDFA) also performed just as well as any of those guys. Joe Barksdale (3rd round) and LaAdrian Waddle (UDFA) also performed very well.

For years, until he got old and tried to switch teams and systems, Tyson Clabo (UDFA) was among the best performing RTs in the NFL. So were Eric Winston (3rd round) and David Stewart (4th round). Austin Howard (UDFA) collected a big paycheck in free agency this year as well.

Using statistical tools and trends to take lessons about roster management and football in general is an underrated avenue of exploration...however if it's a tool you're going to use, you have to have a firm grounding in it in order to make sure you're not running afoul of statistical traps.

Most of the guys you listed were drafted (or signed as college free agents) when fullbacks were still alive. Dotson and Waddle are exceptions to that. You could make the same argument that because Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Russell Wilson were picked in the 6th, 2nd, and 3rd round respectively that you can find elite quarterbacks outside of the first round. Or just because Arian Foster went undrafted, you shouldn't take Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch in the first round. The RT position is definitely on the rise in the league. It's a good point though. I don't think there is any arguing the 5 I listed are in the top 10. Also, I think Austin Howard and Joe Barksdale are "JAGs" and not up to par with the others you listed despite what PFF says. DJ Fluker was looking good at RT. Lane Johnson played really good as well, especially towards the end of the season. There will always be exceptions to every rule, but that doesn't mean you should change the rule. I think if you are looking for a good right tackle, you should now look in the first 2 rounds. It's a passing league, and that's the way the trend is going now.

But you made an excellent point in your last paragraph. For whatever reason my messaging was turned off on here but I'm going to change that. I've been working on some stuff in regards to that. I'll shoot you a message in the next couple days with some stuff I've been working on.

I just wanted to add, you made a great point about draft status and the way players are perceived. Especially when it comes to offensive lineman, the higher they are drafted, the better the casual fan thinks they are. That's not always the true, but I don't think you can deny that Vollmer, Loadholt, Cherilus, Smith, and Davis are among the best top 10 right tackles.

Articulated tremendously

Interesting and thought provoking theory, but there's no shortage of bust 1st rd LTs over the years, for the Fins that would go back to Daryl Carlton and the immortal Billy Milner, not to mention the plethora of 2-4th rd busts we've had on the OL in general. James might indeed be a solid RT candidate for us, but at #19? No way, not for me. All things being equal I'd take the superior talent and athlete Martin and plug him into the right side, but the question is value and the opportunity cost of spending the 19 pick on an OL. I keep going back to one player in particular in that regard, Brandin Cooks.

I don't see any reason that martin couldn't flourish on the right side, and from what I've seen he's simply a better football player than James, from strength at the LOS to quickness and overall athletic ability. James is a good, solid football player, but what I see is a solid but not great pass blocker and a solid but not great run blocker- a guy that you'd be happy getting in the 3rd round, maybe you reach for him at #50 if you go WR in the 1st rd. But #19? No, jmo.

Anyway, here's an interesting piece about the evolution of the OT position and how it's been aproached around the league:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/nfl-offensive-tackles-rethinking-the-blind-side-and-position-value/

If it's the case that Right Tackle is more of a lottery than LT in the draft, my theory on that is that too many guys who play on the right side are second- or third-tier college left tackles. This idea that you stash the guy on the right side until your incumbent LT gets cut sounds great but as often as not give you very patchy production on the right side. I don't believe it's as easy to play either side as people make out. Both from a physical and technique point of view there are subtle and not so subtle differences.

You'd be better picking a top RT for the right who might have some LT potential (and Ja'Wuan James is exactly that, imo), than a decent LT straight out of college who not only has to ascend the pro playing curve but has to do it as a square peg.

I've been posting about James since during the college season, but I would void my dinner if we took him at #19. I would rather we took ANY kind of tradedown offer than burn a 19 on him.

Interesting and thought provoking theory, but there's no shortage of bust 1st rd LTs over the years, for the Fins that would go back to Daryl Carlton and the immortal Billy Milner, not to mention the plethora of 2-4th rd busts we've had on the OL in general. James might indeed be a solid RT candidate for us, but at #19? No way, not for me. All things being equal I'd take the superior talent and athlete Martin and plug him into the right side, but the question is value and the opportunity cost of spending the 19 pick on an OL. I keep going back to one player in particular in that regard, Brandin Cooks.

I don't see any reason that martin couldn't flourish on the right side, and from what I've seen he's simply a better football player than James, from strength at the LOS to quickness and overall athletic ability. James is a good, solid football player, but what I see is a solid but not great pass blocker and a solid but not great run blocker- a guy that you'd be happy getting in the 3rd round, maybe you reach for him at #50 if you go WR in the 1st rd. But #19? No, jmo.

Anyway, here's an interesting piece about the evolution of the OT position and how it's been aproached around the league:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/30/nfl-offensive-tackles-rethinking-the-blind-side-and-position-value/

My response is simple…I just do not think Martin is there at 19.

Back
Top Bottom