Jay Fiedler The Quarterback | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Fiedler The Quarterback

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
People need to differentiate between Jay Fiedler the man, and Jay Fiedler the quarterback. Jay Fiedler the man is obviously a great person. He plays hard. He never blames anyone but himself regardless of the situation. He leads through example. And like his supporters always say, he has a great win percentage. But, that is not how you judge a player. If that were the case, Tim Ruddy, Todd Perry, and Brock Marion would still be starting. One cannot simply look at any players win percentage with a team, even the quarterback, and blindly say that he should remain the starter. There is every possibility that Miami has had such a high win percentage during his tenure as starting quarterback in spite of Jay Fiedler, not because of him.
It is obvious that you do not need a Michael Vick or Peyton Manning under center to win the Super Bowl, but you do need a few key strengths. The quarterback must be smart and fearless in the clutch. He must be accurate. And he must possess the "threat" of completing every NFL pass on the field.
Arguably, Jay Fiedler does not possess any of these assets. Although I would concede that he is fearless, he is not quarterback smart in the clutch despite his Dartmouth degree. His rating in the fourth quarter (23.0), on third downs (35.7), and when Miami is behind (60.9) are alarming. Secondly, Jay Fiedler is not an accurate quarterback. The best example I can give of this is that Chris Chambers, an elite talent at wide reciever, has been injured twice in the last three years because Jay hung him out to dry. Accurately placing the ball where the reciever can protect himself is something that Fiedler has not been able to do. Lastly, I think people overlook the fact that Jay can only complete the short slant and short out with regularity. Miami cannot run a deep out, or deep post, or even a flag for that matter. Jay does not provide the arm strength or accuracy to do those things. Because of his inability to make those requisite NFL throws, teams load eight men in the box, and only have to patrol the sidelines.

Jay Fiedler is an upstanding individual, but his skill warrant a backup status. I am not going to stand here and say that A.J. brings all these characteristics to the Dolphins. Nobody, including Rick Spielman can give a for sure answer in the affirmative. But, he may bring those skills. Jay on the other hand, I can confidently say does not bring those skills. He is a detriment to the offense when he enters the game, and Ricky and Chris deserve better. This team will not take the next step with Jay Fiedler under center.

Ghetti13 said:
People need to differentiate between Jay Fiedler the man, and Jay Fiedler the quarterback. Jay Fiedler the man is obviously a great person. He plays hard. He never blames anyone but himself regardless of the situation. He leads through example. And like his supporters always say, he has a great win percentage. But, that is not how you judge a player. If that were the case, Tim Ruddy, Todd Perry, and Brock Marion would still be starting. One cannot simply look at any players win percentage with a team, even the quarterback, and blindly say that he should remain the starter. There is every possibility that Miami has had such a high win percentage during his tenure as starting quarterback in spite of Jay Fiedler, not because of him.
It is obvious that you do not need a Michael Vick or Peyton Manning under center to win the Super Bowl, but you do need a few key strengths. The quarterback must be smart and fearless in the clutch. He must be accurate. And he must possess the "threat" of completing every NFL pass on the field.
Arguably, Jay Fiedler does not possess any of these assets. Although I would concede that he is fearless, he is not quarterback smart in the clutch despite his Dartmouth degree. His rating in the fourth quarter (23.0), on third downs (35.7), and when Miami is behind (60.9) are alarming. Secondly, Jay Fiedler is not an accurate quarterback. The best example I can give of this is that Chris Chambers, an elite talent at wide reciever, has been injured twice in the last three years because Jay hung him out to dry. Accurately placing the ball where the reciever can protect himself is something that Fiedler has not been able to do. Lastly, I think people overlook the fact that Jay can only complete the short slant and short out with regularity. Miami cannot run a deep out, or deep post, or even a flag for that matter. Jay does not provide the arm strength or accuracy to do those things. Because of his inability to make those requisite NFL throws, teams load eight men in the box, and only have to patrol the sidelines.

Jay Fiedler is an upstanding individual, but his skill warrant a backup status. I am not going to stand here and say that A.J. brings all these characteristics to the Dolphins. Nobody, including Rick Spielman can give a for sure answer in the affirmative. But, he may bring those skills. Jay on the other hand, I can confidently say does not bring those skills. He is a detriment to the offense when he enters the game, and Ricky and Chris deserve better. This team will not take the next step with Jay Fiedler under center.
Perfect. Just perfect. Could not have said it better.
Welcome to the board, man. :welcome:

AJ is here to push him outta the starting job, and one of the reasons they overspent/made the move too early is so Fiedler had competition(if he even was kept at the time) from the beginnin...i.e. feely was in the system from the start of the year and go through these growin pains durin mini camps and not during training camp. I remember visiting a broncos site last year and Plummer was horrible in the mini camps for the most part, but once the tc came along he improved leaps and bounds. Obviously thats a different situation and all but I'm sure thats what they envisioned when they made the move early.

Ghetti13 said:

You are right on with this one!

Ghetti13 said:
He is a detriment to the offense when he enters the game...

Can't say I agree with that.

He does have some talent & he can win games when the rest of the team is scuffling (see Oakland game a couple of years ago & the Redskins game in 2003)...he's just inconsistent. I actually like Fiedler (the person, as GHETTI summed up very well), and think he does have the ability to take us all the way ---- I'm just let down every season by the mistakes and inconsistencies that obscure that ability.

We have no way of knowing if Feely can be consistent either, so it's silly at this pont to "oohh" & "aahh" over his supposedly better strength & accuracy, but I guess that's what being a fan is all about ;)

Ghetti13 said:

Very well written agree 100%

I actually like Fiedler (the person, as GHETTI summed up very well), and think he does have the ability to take us all the way

DOnt agree here, he doesnt have enough skills to possess that starter ability. Hes very inconsistant and that why we lose those "must win games". I hopw that Jay can get togther and become a great Quaterback but Behind A.j on the Depth Chart.

Helluva first post!! It's like you scooped out all the crap I think of in my head when it comes to Jay and put it down in print. Welcome!

I love Jay Fielder. He is a Pro Bowl QB who would have taken us to the Super Bowl each year if the rest of th team pulled its weight. Poor Jay getting picked on all the time. He has overachieved and if those WRs would get up there and just snag those overthrown balls or if the team played better, he would not be getting so unjustly abused. If those team trainers did their job better he probably would not have missed so much time due to injury.

Jay, I love you man!!! Your the best ever!!

PLEASE DON'T GO!!!!

*sob* where is my Fiedler bobble head?

pigskinguy said:
Perfect. Just perfect. Could not have said it better.
Welcome to the board, man. :welcome:

I think that was an excellent post. I agree completely. I understand Dave Wannstedt is also a wonderful, warm, giving individual when he's not coaching. Can't coach though.

One thing for sure about Fiedler...1 out of 5 passes are on target and the rest you just hold your breath

Back
Top Bottom