Jets reject offer from Revis | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets reject offer from Revis

No matter how you do the signing bonus, because of the uncapped year, it gets pro-rated against the cap (when it returns) over the course of the contract. This is about a deal that isn't cap friendly.

Woody Johnson is a multi-billionaire.

and the cost of the stadium is billions

I cannot see Revis sitting out an entire season. Yeah his uncle may have, but I just can't see it with him. I could see a lengthy holdout. I vaguely remember he and his agent being very stubborn during negotiations after the draft.

With 3years left on his contract he should be in camp, and not acting like a baby.
if he was on his last year he would have his years and money by now, but 3years left come on man you should wait.
But there must be somthing up if they have said they will give you a long term deal and you have not taken it.........its all about the money[greed]

No matter how you do the signing bonus, because of the uncapped year, it gets pro-rated against the cap (when it returns) over the course of the contract. This is about a deal that isn't cap friendly.

Woody Johnson is a multi-billionaire.

Woody Johnson's net worth himself was only about $1.8 billion in 2008 when he took a big hit in the markets, and if he didn't 'ride it back', it's possible that his non-NY Jets liquid assets are only in the area of $500 Million - $750 mill range.

Woody doesn't exactly have much money to throw around. If he did, it's pretty obvious that your best player would not be holding out....for more money.

With 3years left on his contract he should be in camp, and not acting like a baby.
if he was on his last year he would have his years and money by now, but 3years left come on man you should wait.
But there must be somthing up if they have said they will give you a long term deal and you have not taken it.........its all about the money[greed]

Both camps are right and wrong at the same time. Revis has every right to hold out. The Jets came to him and told him they were going to sign him to a long term deal this off season and that has not happened yet. However Revis is demanding Aso money and Al Davis signed him to a ridiculous contract.

Today's date was meaningless, he has 3 years left on a contract and even losing this year he'd be eligibile for FA after his deal expires.

His contract will never be played out if Revis plays hardball. Suppose he sits the year. There's no way the Jets would try to force him to honor his contract again next year. They would have to trade him.

However, if you are correct about FA and his contract, Revis may feel like he has nothing to lose anyway. I like the odds of him getting his way in this one if he goes full retard and doesn't budge. When dealing with madness, it's the sane who have to give in.

I don't buy that Revis won't be playing in the regular season. I think something will get done before the season. I almost feel like this is being done to generate more interest in Hard Knocks...they'll probably get this done after the show is over right before the season starts. Drama draws ratings and the Jets want attention, and ESPN doesn't help. They love drama too. Just like with Favre.

I mean, I'd love it if he held out during the season, but I doubt it.

His contract will never be played out if Revis plays hardball. Suppose he sits the year. There's no way the Jets would try to force him to honor his contract again next year. They would have to trade him.

However, if you are correct about FA and his contract, Revis may feel like he has nothing to lose anyway. I like the odds of him getting his way in this one if he goes full retard and doesn't budge. When dealing with madness, it's the sane who have to give in.

If he sits out the year why would the Jets trade him? if he screws up our season then I think they'd make him sit the next 2 as well as he is under contract for 3 more years. They will come to an agreement at some point but FA has nothing to do w/ this b/c he has 3 years to go, if this was his final year then he would have reported by yesterday needing that year to get to FA.

If I understand the FA situation correctly, if he sits out this season and there's no holdout/lockout next season, he becomes a restricted FA. So the Jets can slap a 1st & 3rd round tender on him and let the market set the price. The Jets could then either match it or let him go.

If I understand the FA situation correctly, if he sits out this season and there's no holdout/lockout next season, he becomes a restricted FA. So the Jets can slap a 1st & 3rd round tender on him and let the market set the price. The Jets could then either match it or let him go.
I could easly see a team giving up two first rounders for Revis. But that is only if it comes to that. Which, like most agree, probably won't happen.

Both camps are right and wrong at the same time. Revis has every right to hold out. The Jets came to him and told him they were going to sign him to a long term deal this off season and that has not happened yet. However Revis is demanding Aso money and Al Davis signed him to a ridiculous contract.
There should be a league rule that bars Al Davis contracts from setting precedent due to insanity.

I forgot about the buyback option from revis, I know he needed to meet playing time incentives in order to do that. If he sits out '10 will he have reached those incentives?

There should be a league rule that bars Al Davis contracts from setting precedent due to insanity.

That contract was very high BUT it was only for 3 years, I think the Jets would be ok approaching those #s for 3 years but Revis wants it over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom