Jets sign both 1st rounders | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets sign both 1st rounders

Bjorn

Go Giants
Reaction score
Jets | Mangold agrees in principle on a contract
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:30:38 -0700
Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets have agreed in principle on a contract with first-round pick C Nick Mangold, according to an NFL source. The deal is expected to be completed late Wednesday, July 26 and Mangold is expected to report to training camp on time Thursday, July 27.

Jets | Team agrees with D. Ferguson
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:56:17 -0700
Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets and OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the fourth pick of the NFL Draft, have reached agreement in principle on a contract, according to NFL sources. Neither Jets officials nor Ferguson's agent, Don Yee, would comment, and terms of the deal were not available. Ferguson is expected to report to training camp along with the Jets' veterans Thursday, July 27, and to participate in the first practices of camp Friday, July 28, as the team's starting left tackle.

I wish we could get our guys signed. I think they will all sign on Friday.

Our FO has been excellent in getting all our picks in on time, we haven't had a holdout since 1997 and that was a 1 day holdout. We have 1 pick left to sign.

Straztheman said:
Good job jets but your still going to finish last in the east

No they won't the Bills will. The only way that the Jets do is if Clemens does get the job and suffers the rookie blues. If Pennington is able to play they will win 6-7 games.

b_hjelmeland123 said:
No they won't the Bills will. The only way that the Jets do is if Clemens does get the job and suffers the rookie blues. If Pennington is able to play they will win 6-7 games.

Truthfully I think the Bills will have a better record THIS year but the Jets will be better long term

The Bills still have a pretty solid core on defense and are getting Takeo back, Mcgahee and Lee Evans are weapons on offense even though JP sucks

Straztheman said:
Good job jets but your still going to finish last in the east

Thats' what's great(and bad) about today's NFL, you just never know. Last year everyone picked the Jets to challenge NE and picked Miami in last. Things change quickly, I am expecting 6-7 wins but we'll see.

If the Jets get any kind of stability at qb and Martin stay healthy i wouldn't be suprised by 7-9 or even 8-8 the Bills on the other hand with their o-line and qb shambles will do well to get 5 wins IMO

nyjunc said:
Thats' what's great(and bad) about today's NFL, you just never know. Last year everyone picked the Jets to challenge NE and picked Miami in last. Things change quickly, I am expecting 6-7 wins but we'll see.

yea many jet and bills fans refer to last years excitement and like to aware us finfans but in reality the situations are soo different.....chad pennington IMO was never good enough to get the jets anywhere and still isnt and another year obviously didnt help curtis martin, injuries plagued the team but many of the players that were hurt are no longer on the team and neither is their best Dline man john abraham...they jets had a decent draft and helped build their oline but they really didnt get any standouts at key positions, the whole qb situation is a mess and eric mangini is a bit of a risk taker IMO, hes too young and doesnt seem to have the ability to control the whole team like that certain spunk IMO...........as a dolphins fan i feel confident that things will go right this season and im not worried about what happened to the bills or jets last year

miaD5499 said:
yea many jet and bills fans refer to last years excitement and like to aware us finfans but in reality the situations are soo different.....

You were 4-12 in 2004 and had a new CS, we were 4-12 last year and have a new CS. Both of us had injuries or off the field stuff help derail us, the situations are quite similar.

miaD5499 said:
chad pennington IMO was never good enough to get the jets anywhere

But Daunte Culpepper is? In a MUCH tougher div in only 2 near full seasons Chad has led us to a div title(the only QB besids Brady to lead his team to an AFC East title since '01) and 2 trips to the div rd of the playoffs. daunte has made the playoffs twice in5 full years in a pathetic div and conf. Oh and Minny was 4 game sunder .500 when Daunte started and 4 games OVER .500 when he did not while the Jets were 5 games over w/ Chad and 11 games undre w/o him.

miaD5499 said:
and still isnt and another year obviously didnt help curtis martin, injuries plagued the team but many of the players that were hurt are no longer on the team and neither is their best Dline man john abraham...

Chad, Curtis, McCareins, Baker, ellis, robertson, barton,... are all still on the tam and were key players hurt a year ago.

Abe was a great talent BUT he was hurt alot himself(ironically he stayed healthy last year) and we were a kick away from the title game 2 years ago when Abe didn't play down the stretch or in the playoffs.

miaD5499 said:
they jets had a decent draft and helped build their oline but they really didnt get any standouts at key positions, the whole qb situation is a mess and eric mangini is a bit of a risk taker IMO, hes too young and doesnt seem to have the ability to control the whole team like that certain spunk IMO.

We drafted the 2 best OL prospects at the 2 most important positions on the OL and in alot of "ecperts" views we got a steal w/ Clemens in rd 2.

The QB situation is not a mess at all. We have an established top player when he was healthy, if he is healthy he starts if not we have a vet backup in Ramsey andnif we suck them the Clemens era will begin at some point this year.

How can you make a judgment like that on Mangini when he hasn't even coached a preseason game yet?

miaD5499 said:
as a dolphins fan i feel confident that things will go right this season and im not worried about what happened to the bills or jets last year

good luck w/ the vastly overrated Daunte, if you think he is leading you to a SB it's going to be a rough few years for you.

nyjunc said:
You were 4-12 in 2004 and had a new CS, we were 4-12 last year and have a new CS. Both of us had injuries or off the field stuff help derail us, the situations are quite similar.

But Daunte Culpepper is? In a MUCH tougher div in only 2 near full seasons Chad has led us to a div title(the only QB besids Brady to lead his team to an AFC East title since '01) and 2 trips to the div rd of the playoffs. daunte has made the playoffs twice in5 full years in a pathetic div and conf. Oh and Minny was 4 game sunder .500 when Daunte started and 4 games OVER .500 when he did not while the Jets were 5 games over w/ Chad and 11 games undre w/o him.

Chad, Curtis, McCareins, Baker, ellis, robertson, barton,... are all still on the tam and were key players hurt a year ago.

Abe was a great talent BUT he was hurt alot himself(ironically he stayed healthy last year) and we were a kick away from the title game 2 years ago when Abe didn't play down the stretch or in the playoffs.

We drafted the 2 best OL prospects at the 2 most important positions on the OL and in alot of "ecperts" views we got a steal w/ Clemens in rd 2.

The QB situation is not a mess at all. We have an established top player when he was healthy, if he is healthy he starts if not we have a vet backup in Ramsey andnif we suck them the Clemens era will begin at some point this year.

How can you make a judgment like that on Mangini when he hasn't even coached a preseason game yet?

good luck w/ the vastly overrated Daunte, if you think he is leading you to a SB it's going to be a rough few years for you.

hah so am i and other dolphins fans suppose to expect just because it happened to you its going to happen to us? keep dreaming not all scenarios end up like it did for the jets....say what you want but the scenarios were and are very different, first off how can you call you qb situation stable? you still have no idea who will be the #1 qb on your team so to me thats clearly unstable, and are you really willing to say you have confidence in chad pennington? please in his whole career he has never completed a full nfl season, the guys just not built to last and theres no such thing as a healthy chad pennington so i wouldnt look into that...and bad mouth culpepper all you want its not really going to have any affect on how he tears apart the jets, and not to mention that daunte has taken his team further into the playoffs than chad so i dont know where again you were going with all the chad playoff numbers...and not to mention at the time the nfc north was a pretty strong division with the packers and the vikings battling it out every year for the division title. And as for your draft you did a solid job at adressing the oline i never said you didnt but really it wont matter who the oline is protecting when you have no qb, and as for curtis martin your once again just kidding yourself if you dont think his career is over...the jets also didnt do enough in FA to even give them a slight glimpse of hope.....and for eric mangini i mean yea its still unproven what he can do but when nick saban joined the dolphins he had way more back round and history with success, eric mangini was the Dcoordinator for the pats for 1 year when not to mention they had a poor deffense....a lot of different scenarios and the situation for the dolphins was much different heading into the 05 season last year than for the jets this season. not to leave out another important fact but we drafted a RB with the second overall pick in the draft you draft a Oline with your 4th overall pick

Chad is Not as Good as Some Think He is!

nyjunc said:

OK Junc... tell me why is Chad 3-14 (or 18%)when his defense has allowed 20 points or more??? His great record as you say" the jets win with Chad" is because he has had a good defense playing with him...and you can check out the team records with this link... or any link that gives out players stats...
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187395/gamelogs/2002

Amazing, you gauge Daunte when he loses game where his D has given up over 20 ppg, but Chad has a worst winning % than Daunte (16-38 or 30%) in this area...again follow the stats link for Daunte just like you would for Chad, and add this one for Daunte in 2000, he played all 16 games...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min2000.htm ...

I agree with you that the Jets win with Chad, but not when Chad has to provide over 20 points to make up for the Defensive deficite to win games...

Point in case,
  1. The 2 years that Chad played in the Post Season, all 4 games. In 02 PS...Jets 41-Indi 0, and Jets 10- Pit 30. In 04 PS... Jets 20-SD 17, and Jets 17- Pit 20... See the trend, both loses to a team that scored more than 20 points...Now in 02 the jets won the "tie-breaker to win their Division, and lost to the AFC competitor in the SB.
  2. With Daunte's 2 year Post season showing, all 4 games. In 00 PS...Minny 34-NO 16, and Minny 0-NYG 41. In 04 PS...Minny 31- GB 17, and Minny 14- Phili 27... See the same trend? Now mind you Minny won their Division in 02 and also lost to the team from the NFC that played in the SB in 2004.
So to sum it up, both QBs:
  • Won 1 Division Championship...
  • Are 2-2 in the PS...
  • Lost one PS game to the team representing their Conference in the SB...
  • Have trouble beating opponets when their D gives up over 20 PPG...
In essence, sometimes the more we try to see things differently, the more they seem the same...:wink:

But Daunte Culpepper is? In a MUCH tougher div in only 2 near full seasons Chad has led us to a div title(the only QB besids Brady to lead his team to an AFC East title since '01) and 2 trips to the div rd of the playoffs.
Point is, it took a "tie-breaker" to win the Division in 02 with a tremendous 9-7 record...The Jets D kept opponents from scoring more than 17 points in 8 of the 12 games that Chad started. The outcome should not surprise you, unless Chad was playing Defense also...Of course you negleted to go all the way back to 00, when Miami won the AFC East...

Maybe this will give you a clearer picture... The Jets D have not given up more than 17 points in 19 of the 35 games (.54%) Chad has started...

Daunte's D has not given up less than 17 points in only 22 of the 73 games (.30%) Daunte has started...

daunte has made the playoffs twice in5 full years in a pathetic div and conf
You are absolutely right, but come back and re post after Chad has had 5 full seasons of playing... it might take him another 10 years...:wink:

Oh and Minny was 4 game sunder .500 when Daunte started and 4 games OVER .500 when he did not while the Jets were 5 games over w/ Chad and 11 games undre w/o him.

I don't know how good your math is but look at this equation from 00-04...
In 00 Daunte was 11-5...
In 01 Daunte was 4-7... His replacement was 1-4...
In 02 Daunte was 6-10...
In 03 Daunte was 7-7... His replacement was 2-0...
In 04 Daunte was 8-8...

My math tells me in five years Daunte started 73 games and was 36-37, 1 game below .500, and his replacements was 3-4, also 1 game below .500...

Of course I choose to neglect 05' because among other issues, DC was working with new OC, new WRs and a patch work of an OL, but of course you would choose only 05 in basing your case... but you know, you need more than 16 games to prove a point, I gave you 73 of them...

In closing, I have to say that Chad has performed well, nothing about his leadership, that I have seen, shows that he is weak at this point. Of course, we can look at stats and use the ones that can make our points. Now, he has not been able to take his team under his arm consistantly and bail his Defense out. The fact shows that he has done a poor job and only won 18% of those games, where Daunte has won 30% of them...

Of course "Chad wins games," specifically those that are tied with a great Defensive performance...

miaD5499 said:
yea many jet and bills fans refer to last years excitement and like to aware us finfans but in reality the situations are soo different.....chad pennington IMO was never good enough to get the jets anywhere and still isnt and another year obviously didnt help curtis martin, injuries plagued the team but many of the players that were hurt are no longer on the team and neither is their best Dline man john abraham...they jets had a decent draft and helped build their oline but they really didnt get any standouts at key positions, the whole qb situation is a mess and eric mangini is a bit of a risk taker IMO, hes too young and doesnt seem to have the ability to control the whole team like that certain spunk IMO...........as a dolphins fan i feel confident that things will go right this season and im not worried about what happened to the bills or jets last year
must disagree with your comment abot chad. if it were not for two missed field goals by doug brien in the playoffs two years ago, The jets are in the AFC title game against the Pats.

Back
Top Bottom