Jets trying to copy the phins/run wildcat with LT! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets trying to copy the phins/run wildcat with LT!

It is a gimmick, I hate it and I don't think it's real football. I am not a big fan of trick plays in general except on rare occasions and this is basically a trick play formation.

No, it's not. It's a formation. It's a POWER RUNNING formation that we run several times a game. Not a gimmick in the slightest.

No, it's not. It's a formation. It's a POWER RUNNING formation that we run several times a game. Not a gimmick in the slightest.

You guys are going to run it alot less now that you have better personnel. It was a gimmick for a less talented team that really only had elite level talent at RB.

Letting the facts get in the way huh. Here's a fact you purposely didn't allow to get in the way because you knew it would of ruined whatever point you're trying to make.

2009 LT 730 yds 12 Touchdowns / RB 648 yds 8 Touchdowns. LT: 292 attempts, 3.8 YPC / RB: 214 attempts, 4.3 YPC
2008 LT 1,110 yds 11 Touchdowns/ RB 916 yds 10 Touchdowns. LT: 223 attempts, 3.3 YPC / RB: 147 attempts, 4.4 YPC

No, Ronnie Brown doesn't suck. He's been splitting carries with another great back his whole career, including college. Which is a great thing. At age 31, Brown will still be a great back, while at age 31, LT is washed up, and a massive downgrade from Thomas Jones. But of course being a Jets fan, I don't expect you to realize that RB being able to split carries because of having another great back like Ricky Williams is a great thing. Better hope that injury prone Shonn Green can withstand a full season. Otherwise prepare to be a laughingstock with Mark Sanchez having to actually lead a team rather than ride the coattails of one.

I don't think you should be calling anyone injury prone, whne Ronnie Brown is constantly breaking down. I'm not too concerned about what LT averaged per carry the last 2 years. Shonn Greene is our feature back, and he'll carry that load. LT will be a change of pace guy ... getting a handful of carries, catching passes out of the backfield, and operating our wildcat with Brad Smith. The bottom line is scoring points ... and even in his "washed up" years, he scored more points than Ronnie Brown. If he gives us 12 TD's this year we'll happily take it.

I don't think you should be calling anyone injury prone, whne Ronnie Brown is constantly breaking down. I'm not too concerned about what LT averaged per carry the last 2 years. Shonn Greene is our feature back, and he'll carry that load. LT will be a change of pace guy ... getting a handful of carries, catching passes out of the backfield, and operating our wildcat with Brad Smith. The bottom line is scoring points ... and even in his "washed up" years, he scored more points than Ronnie Brown. If he gives us 12 TD's this year we'll happily take it.

Did he call Shonn Greene injury prone while pumping up Ronnie Brown?:lol:

Obviously LT isn
't a top flight back anymore but what people fail to realize about the Jones-LT comparison is that prior to all the OL changes in 2008 TJ averaged 3.6 YPC in 2007, after the changes he averaged 4.5 in 2008. Behind this OL and w/ less carries we are going to see that YPC be alot higher than the last 2 yeats for LT AND he can catch the ball out of the backfield- a threat we didn't have after Leon went down last year.

LT sucks, plain and simple. Keep trying to tell yourself otherwise. You'll just have to see for yourselves in the regular season.

It is a gimmick, I hate it and I don't think it's real football. I am not a big fan of trick plays in general except on rare occasions and this is basically a trick play formation.

Of course there is, you are giving a talented RB a triple option. It's a gimmick and it will last as a trcik play now and then but it wouldn't last as a primary offense.

You guys are going to run it alot less now that you have better personnel. It was a gimmick for a less talented team that really only had elite level talent at RB.

Why do you continue to repeat yourself like a broken record even when you're wrong?

Did he call Shonn Greene injury prone while pumping up Ronnie Brown?:lol:

Obviously LT isn
't a top flight back anymore but what people fail to realize about the Jones-LT comparison is that prior to all the OL changes in 2008 TJ averaged 3.6 YPC in 2007, after the changes he averaged 4.5 in 2008. Behind this OL and w/ less carries we are going to see that YPC be alot higher than the last 2 yeats for LT AND he can catch the ball out of the backfield- a threat we didn't have after Leon went down last year.

-Well we don't know how durable Shonn Greene will be in the NFL as a featured back because, well he wasn't the featured back last season for more then two games. It's a tough job. But what we do know is Shonn had injury issues in college that plagued him, and also battled ankle and rib problems throughout his rookie year with the Jets despite only carrying the ball ~150 times. And what cautions me even more is his running style. The guy is a bowling ball. One thing he has going for him (or against him) is the guy doesn't EVER catch passes out of the back field. So that will take away a few of those hits.

-Obviously LT isn't a 'top flight' back anymore. It doesn't take a football expert to see this. Anyone that watch football the last two seasons could watch first hand. LT's ability to accelerate and hit holes and get into space like we were so accustom to seeing from LT just wasn't there. He's not that blur of speed that use to be, and he doesn't bounce off would-be tacklers like he once used to. That said his vision I'm sure is still next to nobody's.

-Also when you mention how Thomas Jones rushing average went from 3.6 to 4.5 from 2007 to 2008 with the Jets. Well you forgot to mention how his rushing average before he ever arrived in NY was still a very respectable 4.1 and 4.3 from the two seasons previous with Chicago. So he was really just returning to form, for the most part.

And one more thing.

-The Jets ran 607 times last year, nearly 20% more than the second highest run team in the league. What exactly do you mean when you say LT won't get as many carries??

I realize Shonn Greene will presumably get the bulk of the carries. But what's the bulk? 70% of 600+ carries is an insanely high amount of touches. You realize that's more then 424 attempts over the course of the season?

Say the Jets come back down to a more reasonable 520 carries for the season... And they don't decide to kill Greene with 70% of the work load in his first year as a featured back and go with say 60% of the carries... that's just over 300 carries for him. Leaving Ladianian Tomlinson with roughly 220 attempts, putting him right around his total carries from last year. And this is considering the Jets DON'T run as much as they did last year.

And from the way your rookie has looked so far, I don't think McKnight will be getting much of the carries.

Dont think its real football? Im pretty sure that when football was first played, there was no forward pass, and all teams ran "wildcat" type formations.
I know that was like 100 years ago, but not real football? I think the wildcat is the most basic form of football.

Why do you continue to repeat yourself like a broken record even when you're wrong?

-Well we don't know how durable Shonn Greene will be in the NFL as a featured back because, well he wasn't the featured back last season for more then two games. It's a tough job. But what we do know is Shonn had injury issues in college that plagued him, and also battled ankle and rib problems throughout his rookie year with the Jets despite only carrying the ball ~150 times. And what cautions me even more is his running style. The guy is a bowling ball. One thing he has going for him (or against him) is the guy doesn't EVER catch passes out of the back field. So that will take away a few of those hits.

-Obviously LT isn't a 'top flight' back anymore. It doesn't take a football expert to see this. Anyone that watch football the last two seasons could watch first hand. LT's ability to accelerate and hit holes and get into space like we were so accustom to seeing from LT just wasn't there. He's not that blur of speed that use to be, and he doesn't bounce off would-be tacklers like he once used to. That said his vision I'm sure is still next to nobody's.

-Also when you mention how Thomas Jones rushing average went from 3.6 to 4.5 from 2007 to 2008 with the Jets. Well you forgot to mention how his rushing average before he ever arrived in NY was still a very respectable 4.1 and 4.3 from the two seasons previous with Chicago. So he was really just returning to form, for the most part.

And one more thing.

-The Jets ran 607 times last year, nearly 20% more than the second highest run team in the league. What exactly do you mean when you say LT won't get as many carries??

I realize Shonn Greene will presumably get the bulk of the carries. But what's the bulk? 70% of 600+ carries is an insanely high amount of touches. You realize that's more then 424 attempts over the course of the season?

Say the Jets come back down to a more reasonable 520 carries for the season... And they don't decide to kill Greene with 70% of the work load in his first year as a featured back and go with say 60% of the carries... that's just over 300 carries for him. Leaving Ladianian Tomlinson with roughly 220 attempts, putting him right around his total carries from last year. And this is considering the Jets DON'T run as much as they did last year.

And from the way your rookie has looked so far, I don't think McKnight will be getting much of the carries.

Different people respond to my posts so sometimes I have to repeat myself.

Obviously Shonn Greene has to prove he is durable but shouldn't we give himn that chance? We KNOW Brown isn't durable and we have Miami fans taking shots at Greene for his durability?

TJ played w/ excellent OLs in Chicago when he had those YPCs, LT hasn't played behind a good line and that is PART of the problem of the last 2 years. I expect he'll be around 4 YPC this year behind this OL.

LT is the 2nd option, he won't be getting feature back carries. We won't run nearly as much this year and our 2nd option last year had 108 carries while LT had 223.

Dont think its real football? Im pretty sure that when football was first played, there was no forward pass, and all teams ran "wildcat" type formations.
I know that was like 100 years ago, but not real football? I think the wildcat is the most basic form of football.

It's incredibly boring football to watch.

Yeah, kinda like having a defensive, power running ball control team with Dirty Sanchez that can barely manage the game.

Great defense is never boring but a run heavy offense certainly can be boring but mark kept things interesting w/ so many passes to the opposing team:D

I feel like I'm a pretty objective poster so don't assume my opinion is biased based on being a Phin fan.

The WildCat is not a gimmick. It's actually the farthest from a gimmick considering this is the traditional old school formation that basically all teams ran many years ago. Then comes the forward pass. At the time, that was certainly a gimmick until defenses started catching on and realizing how to defend against it. I won't go on with the timeline of football formations, but my point is that when you look at gimmick plays in the NFL today, they are primarily "the fake punt" or "the flea flicker" or "a reverse option pass". The wildcat was used by the Dolphins so often and there really weren't alot of plays run out of the formation. It was basically a handoff by Ronnie to Ricky and Ricky tries to find a hole or Ronnie just holds onto it and uses his instincts to find a hole. I just don't see how that is trickery. You defend up the middle and keep a couple of guys on the outside in case Ronnie decides to hand it off and if your defense is superior to the offensive line, they should be able to stop it no problem (see the Ravens in the wildcard playoff game). Unfortunately for most other teams, the Dolphins offensive line was superior which is what made it successful. It's just straight up "hat on hat" (I know, it's an annoying phrase that was overused last year, but that is truly what it is. If all of the O Lineman can block there man one on one the play should be successful in getting at least 6 or 7 yards which is what the Dolphins were getting in the first half of last season.

As for the "the wildcat is boring" comment, that's b/c your team is not very successful at it. If Shonne Greene or LT is taking a direct snap and picking up 6 or 7 yards a carry, believe me, you will not find it boring.

Back
Top Bottom