Joe Knows Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Knows Dolphins

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many people have seen this, but Joe Schad's (PB Post Beat Writer) blog for the Dolphins at the Palm Beach Post website is excellent. He actually gives you some real thoughts about the Dolphins.

Dolphins Blog

For anyone interested, Schad's all Davie team: QB Sage Rosenfels, RB Fred Russell, WR Chris Chambers, TE Donald Lee, DE Jason Taylor, DT Larry Chester, CB Sam Madison, S Yeremiah Bell.

Nice to see Madison doing well again, and I really like Bell. Schad also noted that Carey is looking like a Rookie.

I'm still not sold on that pick. But, it is early :cooldude:

It is really good. Kinda like if one of us were out there. He really enjoys what he does.

And he gave a shoutout to FinHeaven the other day. :)

The blog is like an insider's view of camp. I enjoy it very much and hoipe it continues all season.

I'm glad someone is enjoying it because I think it's lame.

Where did this guy come from anyway? All of a sudden he is writing about the Dolphins and putting a banner up of himself with Ricky behind him. I'd never heard of the guy. Then, he writes an article about Ricky calling someone his "sister" that is not. A week later he says he can't criticize Wanny's coaching because he doesn't know enough about the game.

I figured I'd try again after reading this thread and I find this:

The best bet here is that Miami WON'T reduce the salary offer to Wale on Tuesday and will then state it's a "good faith" move in what figures to be - we'll say it again - a lengthy contract negotiation.

WRONG! Glad I didn't place that bet. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1822893

Here's the point on Wale. Shaded by tinted windows, the kid didn't have to say hello. But this is the kind of kid Wale is: polite, respectful, intelligent and friendly.

The guy sounds more like a star struck fan than a reporter. He acts surprised that he is getting any scoop and he begs fans to e-mail him. He'd be a great "fan reporter".

The Sun-Sentinel still rules by a longshot IMO.

Well the truth of the matter is, he has access to the players much more than a fan does. So even if he doesn't know much, he will give us a fans view from the INSIDE.

Joe's work will be of much more use come T.C.

Can't argue with you there. Media credentials do give him a slight advantage over the rest of us :-). Of course he doesn't need them if guys are going to wave him down on the road :-).

phintastic said:
I'm glad someone is enjoying it because I think it's lame.

Where did this guy come from anyway? All of a sudden he is writing about the Dolphins and putting a banner up of himself with Ricky behind him. I'd never heard of the guy. Then, he writes an article about Ricky calling someone his "sister" that is not. A week later he says he can't criticize Wanny's coaching because he doesn't know enough about the game.

I figured I'd try again after reading this thread and I find this:

WRONG! Glad I didn't place that bet. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1822893

The guy sounds more like a star struck fan than a reporter. He acts surprised that he is getting any scoop and he begs fans to e-mail him. He'd be a great "fan reporter".

The Sun-Sentinel still rules by a longshot IMO.

I'm not sure I can disagree with anyone more. If you want to read the same by the book articles about how Fiedler is working harder or that 5 Dolphins are building a house for charity, than go read the Sentinel or the Post or the Herald, they are all pretty similar. Blah, blah, blah . . . .

The great thing about Schad's Blog is that it is very informal and he just talks to you like you would to anyone of your friends. You get things that he or anyone else would not print.

BTW, if you read the Palm Beach Post, Schad covered the Dolphins quite well last season. Unless you are in the business, the fact that you don't know Schad doesn't make him a lousy journalist. He is the beat writer for one of the top circulation papers in the state. You don't get that job off the street.

Calling him a "fan reporter" is a bit of a cheap shot just because he is trying to make a blog for fans who want more Dolphin news.

Personally, I find the blog great stuff, and I bet most other fans do as well.

Dude, Joe Schad is the Palm Beach Post miami dolphins staff writer. I think he's the only full time staff writer there too...although he recently said the Post plans to hire a second fulltime Dolphins cover guy. He's the Palm Beach Post equivalent of the Miami Herald's Jason Cole and the Sun Sentinel's Alex Marvez. I personally love what he's doing. One big beef I have with writers is they don't give us enough information. They are there around the Dolphins facility, get to interview players and coaches all the time, then all we see of it are like one fluff piece in the morning that might have a blurb at the end about any major events like Dave Wannstedt yelling. No observations, no nothing. I know why, its because they say that you have to know the difference between reporting facts and giving biased and perhaps incorrect observations...but nonetheless these guys are close enough to the action and have a good enough background that I would appreciate any more they could give us.

So in Schad's blogs he's come up with a forum to voice these observations to the finatics would crave it, the same people that populate message boards etc.

He's doing a great job too and I think his work will make him more popular than Marvez and Cole with the fans. Cole does something similar, or at least he use to, where he had a Q&A page and he'd answer something like 20 to 50 fan questions a day with short little answers that you can often glean his personal observations from camp out of.

ckparrothead said:
Dude, Joe Schad is the Palm Beach Post miami dolphins staff writer. I think he's the only full time staff writer there too...

Don't ask me how I know this, but let me clarify. Every major South Florida paper (Herald , Sentinel, Post) has a beat writer and a backup writer for every major sport. Some sports, like Football will garner more attention.

During the offseason, the beat writer will be there for any practices etc. If it is minor they may send a general assignment writer or the backup writer. If something is interesting (say Ricky failing a drug test), they may send a columnist as well.

Things are a bit different during the season. When the Dolphins have a home game, they will be covered by the beat writer to do the "gamer," a columnist, to do an opinion column, the backup writer and probably a general assignment writer(s) to do what is called a sidebar(s) or (an article relating to the game).

Away games will get the beat writer and a columnist typically, unless its the Jets or something very important.

That's pretty much true for all of the papers. You may like one writer better than another, but all of the papers put a lot of money and effort into the Dolphins.

Joe does a hell of a good job. It's a nice change from the usual off-season fodder.

I agree it's "informal" and it's something to read about in this long off-season, but quantity is not always equal to quality. Getting the facts right and using inside information to predict better would be nice.

Alex Marvez began at the PBP. He is now at the Sentinel. I believe Ethan used to work there too. A guy named Todd Archer used to write for the PBP about the Dolphins, but I haven't seen his stuff in a while.

Everybody's different. I'll take the SS anyday over PBP. The good thing is that we have options and can read whatever we want.

I'm not trying to wage a war here over which paper has the best reporters, but I just don't agree with the title of this thread. To each his own.

ckparrothead said:
No observations, no nothing. I know why, its because they say that you have to know the difference between reporting facts and giving biased and perhaps incorrect observations...

:roflmao: That's a good one. That "principle" never seems to enter into anything they actually DO write, so why should it preclude them from actually reporting FACTS about who's doing what at the TCs? Oh yeah, it benefits them in this instance because it would be too much work to actually sit out there and record what's going on.

Long Live the Blog!

But I don't think he's doing enough of them. Demand more Blog from Joe.

I'd like to see it every day.

That's the best way to keep him off the streets, and more importantly, out of the clubs.....

Ethan

By the way, Todd Archer is in Dallas, covering the Cowboys for the Dallas Morning News. Joe took his job... And PhinKev is right, all three papers now have two full-time writers covering the team, (the Post just made a promotion to back up Joe) plus columnists and takeout writers....

Back
Top Bottom