Jonathan Cyprien, S, FL Int'l | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonathan Cyprien, S, FL Int'l

Austin Tatious

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Kid looks like he has a nose for the ball and may fit the need for a playmaker in the back end. Has anyone gotten a good look at him?

I keep seeing him referred to as an in the box type and a strong safety. Free safety is a bigger need for Miami, and I'm not confident that Reshad could flip to free.

Does this kid match Miami's needs?

Reshad Jones was playing FS this past season. Chris Clemson was the SS.

cyprien showed very well at the senior bowl...explosive...forceful...found the ball...better in coverage than anticipated...i liked what i saw value in the 3rd round i'd say...3rd-4th round

No, Reshad took over Yeremiah Bell's strong safety spot, while Chris Clemons manned free safety. Reshad played closer to the line of scrimmage, covered tight ends, etc, whereas Clemons played deep and took deep coverage responsibilities.

Reshad is a closer to the line of scrimmage, in the box, type.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...ns-safety-reshad-jones-making-big-stri/nTXJr/

From the article:

A fifth-round pick out of Georgia in 2010, Jones battled Chris Clemons for the free safety job opposite Bell for his first two seasons, earning 12 starts last year when he finished fourth on the team with 62 tackles along with one interception and two sacks.

Clemons, the other starting safety, said he has seen Jones get a lot more serious about his profession over the past year.

“He’s watching a lot more film now, which is something you learn to do over time, and that makes the game easier,” Clemons said.

From the same article under the picture:

Miami Dolphins free safety Reshad Jones (20) causes a fumble by Buffalo Bills wide receiver Donald Jones (19) at Ralph Wilson Stadium

Profile on NFL.com listing Reshad Jones as....a free safety.

http://www.nfl.com/player/reshadjones/496739/profile

miami interchanged it's safeties a lot this season under coyle but when we went to a single high look the vast majority of it was with chris clemons the deep middle defender...jones was up near the los or floating in the intermediate level unless we were in 2 deep primarily...

imo jones played the more strong safety role...but again we play a pretty interchangeable safeties d with coyle

Clemons was deep a lot in the single high safety looks but Jones played back there as well. Truthfully I think they were trying to hide Clemons a bit cause early on he missed some tackles at the LOS so they moved him back in coverage and he either took bad angles or was late getting over (he's not very instinctive) so Jones moved up and back depending on what Coyle called but he's been listed as the Free Safety all year.

of course they were trying to hide clemons..his hips especially you better damn well hide em if you can...

jones took some ba angles at times also but for the most part if you got to him you were going down...clemons guys ran around a lot...all comes back to those awful hips

I watched as many clips of Cyprien last week as I could find, having seen how he did in practices.

VERY physical. You know when you've been hit by Cyprien. Seems to have good technique, wraps guys up well, rarely lets a player escape. Occasionally steams in too hard and gets beaten with a step. No sign that I've seen of him stripping the ball in the tackle. For a SS you don't see as much of him stopping the run as you'd expect, but he's effective when he does.

Against the pass, his man coverage is generally very good - though I've seen him let the DB get between him and the ball in the endzone.

He's quick, he takes good angles and is often FIU's last line of defense when other players have given up the chase. He's amazingly conditioned - I'd say he's in better shape than a good few NFL SS's. He's pretty fluid, above average for his position with good balance and smooth hips for direction change.

His play-reading skills aren't the best, imo. He finds himself on the wrong side of plays a lot where he has to seriously hustle to get into position - a lot of the time it's not quick enough even for him.

I know his stock has risen because of the Senior Bowl, but he's definitely a work in progress on the game-reading side of things. Out of the gate he wouldn't be an upgrade over Clemons but over time might develop into a force. I think he's probably better suited to FS or at least a Coyle-type scheme where they are interchanged.

I've seen him play in person. Doesn't really stand out to me. He'll probably be a second string/developmental project.

miami interchanged it's safeties a lot this season under coyle but when we went to a single high look the vast majority of it was with chris clemons the deep middle defender...jones was up near the los or floating in the intermediate level unless we were in 2 deep primarily...

imo jones played the more strong safety role...but again we play a pretty interchangeable safeties d with coyle

That's exactly right. I'm always surprised that people suggesting their FOTM safety favorites don't see this.

I like Cyprien, he's going to be a player. He reminds me a little of Louis Delmas. But, there are a lot of decent to good safeties in this draft. Amerson is probably going to end up a FS and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a good one. Bacarri Rambo is going to be good as well. Lots of big guys from big schools with real athletic ability as well, but those 3 are ones I'd really like to add.

The thing is, the NFL is becoming a nickel-first league, so anyone we add as a safety probably should be a cover guy, because I'm leaving Reshad Jones in even when we go single-safety. So, I'm really more interested in DB's that have good coverage and ballhawking skills. Speed to play the last line of defense, eyes and hands to make the INT's, mind to instantly keep up with the crazy formations, personnel groupings and audibles some of these offenses throw at us, and the sound tackling ability to prevent these running QB's from going to the house. Ideally, it would be nice if he were also a Thumper to dissuade those QB's from running at all, but this list of wants is already pretty dang long, so I'll let Jones set the tone in Thumperland. All of that is hard to find.

I'm not sure Cyprien's cover skills merit him over Clemons and a pick in rounds 1-3. I doubt he'll be available in round 4 or 5, but if he falls, I'm interested. Positionally, I don't see us taking a safety all that high.

cover skills are at a premium no doubt in todays nfl...and it's a big reason why kenny vaccaro will be the first safety off the board come april...he's the most proven commodity at it...

cover skills are at a premium no doubt in todays nfl...and it's a big reason why kenny vaccaro will be the first safety off the board come april...he's the most proven commodity at it...

Agreed. These all-star games are really the very best place to showcase your coverage skills too. They don't let the CB's press, so there's a lot of coverage downfield for these safeties to really differentiate themselves. I think guys like Cyprien and Rambo made themselves some money, whereas McDonald letting Manuel drop that TD in over his head probably lost him some.

Back
Top Bottom