Just a interesting thought/ question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just a interesting thought/ question

RunTravisRun

Practice Squad
Reaction score
With all of the hating that has went on for Ricky Williams suddenly retiring, I got to thinking about it more. I think that, in most cases, people were upset at ricky for the timing at which he quit, how he didnt allow us enough time to find a replacement, more than the actual fact that he wanted to retire. I feel that way. If he would have retired 6 months ago, it wouldnt have bothered me. But, we all of the negative responces abound, I got to thinking about it. What if Bret Farve decided to retire in the exact same manner? I seriously doubt that he would recieve 1/10 of the criticism that ricky recieved. Fair or not, it just would not happen.

That opens up a even deeper issue. Are there players.....be it NFL/NBA/MLB.....that should recieve a "free pass" of sorts? Are there certain athletes that almost no matter what happens, you just cannot say negative things about? Currently active players I would consider for this include farve and e.smith in the NFL.....possibly Clemens or Randy Johnson in MLB.....maybe shaq in the nba..(i cant think of a good example currently in nba)

I believe in giving passes for certain people over others for a few reasons. When farve threw that "blind" pass up in the playoffs last year against the Eagles, which was INT and led to the packers loss.....he recieved a fair bit of criticism. But, he has threw that pass....in which he just lobs it up and lets his wr make a play.....countless times. I literally almost got in a fight with a guy in my sr. class who was dogging hard on farve. I think he is just above criticism, simple as that. And there may be others sure.....maybe even ray lewis. Guys that have dominated for so long, deserve something from us.

There are more cases, but especially farve. He is special. Others may feel differently, Im not sure. But, I was just wandering what everyone thought about this issue. There are many ways you can go, and many layers to it, so give it some thought before you reply.

RunTravisRun said:
With all of the hating that has went on for Ricky Williams suddenly retiring, I got to thinking about it more. I think that, in most cases, people were upset at ricky for the timing at which he quit, how he didnt allow us enough time to find a replacement, more than the actual fact that he wanted to retire. I feel that way. If he would have retired 6 months ago, it wouldnt have bothered me. But, we all of the negative responces abound, I got to thinking about it. What if Bret Farve decided to retire in the exact same manner? I seriously doubt that he would recieve 1/10 of the criticism that ricky recieved. Fair or not, it just would not happen. "
RunTravisRun said:
Do you really think Farve would do that ? Screw his team over because weed was more important. I understand if you want to walk away from the game, but have some respect for your team mates and your fans. If you see this as anything less than selfish you're way too soft. I respect Ricky's talent, but I dont respect Ricky. When people are counting on you. You are accountable. I hate my job sometimes but I would never quit and screw everyone else over in the process. I dont care if you make 20,000 or 10,000,000 you just dont do that. I tired of hearing about Ricky.

RunTravisRun said:
With all of the hating that has went on for Ricky Williams suddenly retiring, I got to thinking about it more. I think that, in most cases, people were upset at ricky for the timing at which he quit, how he didnt allow us enough time to find a replacement, more than the actual fact that he wanted to retire. I feel that way. If he would have retired 6 months ago, it wouldnt have bothered me. But, we all of the negative responces abound, I got to thinking about it. What if Bret Farve decided to retire in the exact same manner? I seriously doubt that he would recieve 1/10 of the criticism that ricky recieved. Fair or not, it just would not happen.

That opens up a even deeper issue. Are there players.....be it NFL/NBA/MLB.....that should recieve a "free pass" of sorts? Are there certain athletes that almost no matter what happens, you just cannot say negative things about? Currently active players I would consider for this include farve and e.smith in the NFL.....possibly Clemens or Randy Johnson in MLB.....maybe shaq in the nba..(i cant think of a good example currently in nba)

I believe in giving passes for certain people over others for a few reasons. When farve threw that "blind" pass up in the playoffs last year against the Eagles, which was INT and led to the packers loss.....he recieved a fair bit of criticism. But, he has threw that pass....in which he just lobs it up and lets his wr make a play.....countless times. I literally almost got in a fight with a guy in my sr. class who was dogging hard on farve. I think he is just above criticism, simple as that. And there may be others sure.....maybe even ray lewis. Guys that have dominated for so long, deserve something from us.

There are more cases, but especially farve. He is special. Others may feel differently, Im not sure. But, I was just wandering what everyone thought about this issue. There are many ways you can go, and many layers to it, so give it some thought before you reply.
I think there is a slight flaw in the people that you sight as excusable. For one Favre has been the most reliable QB in the NFL. He has started more straight games than any QB in the NFL. He has played with nothing BUT heart his entire career. We can also say the same about Emmit Smith, the man is a work horse who has given everything for the game.

Ricky on the other hand was given a second chance at life by a team and community that believed in him and supported him. Miami worked tirelessy with him to help him come to grips with his dissorder and help him become the athlete he was capable of. now I agree with Ricky on one point and one point only. That he was utilized too damn much. No back should have to take the pounding he did for no reason at all. But it still stands, he quit in his prime on a team that built an entire offense around him and was trying to make things better.

That's all I have to input.

I wasn't saying ricky should be excused. I was asking if anyone should be. I also didnt emply that farve ever would do that. I was just asking, IF he did.....what would happen. Thats why I said to think about it before you posted some random reply. At least read my post good before posting

RunTravisRun said:
I wasn't saying ricky should be excused. I was asking if anyone should be. I also didnt emply that farve ever would do that. I was just asking, IF he did.....what would happen. Thats why I said to think about it before you posted some random reply. At least read my post good before posting
I read your entire post, but I didn't see mention of Farve or Emmit Retiring at the age of 27. Now if that's the case and they did it in the same manor, then that's a whole new ballgame. Of course there would have been critisism. Especially if drugs and second chances were involved.

When you stated same circumstances and mentioned seasoned vertans, I didn't tie that in together, my bad. But if what I just stated as true, then heck yeah.. the critisim would have been damn near the same.

EDIT:
And to say that I replied with just some random post, is rather insulting. Seeing as I went into descriptive details as to why the comparisons were way off base. But each to their own I guess.

dEPENDS on why Favre would have quit. If it was for pot, he'd get his balls stapled to the ground like Ricky's should've

No one says anything bad about Clemmons? People all over are raving about what a jerk he was at his lil kids game.

I would give a "pass" to certain players for sure. Farve and Smith are two of the players that have earned such a pass. Not that i think either of them would walk out on their team a week prior to training camp....but if smith had done that...towards the end of his career in Dallas...Or Farve did that today...I think it would be ok. Once you play for a team for 10+ years, bringing that team multiple superbowls, rushing titles, mvps, etc....The fans and the team owe something to the player. When a team spends 2 first round picks on a player and that player only plays two seasons...the player owes the team and the fans. Had farve or smith retired one week prior to training camp after failing multiple drug tests at the age of 27.....Then no it wouldn't be ok...Just as if Ricky would've walked out at age 34 after winning a couple rushing titles, a superbowl or two, and possibly an MVP (not that i think he would've done all that) it would've been ok.

Back
Top Bottom