Just great...another 2nd round defensive player who can help special teams

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by erralyn, Apr 23, 2005.

1. erralyn

erralyn Starter

Gee, I wonder who this reminds me of.

We spend a lot of money in free agency signing Defensive Ends, then we go out and draft one.

The Surtain trade was supposed to shift the team's emphasis from defense to offense, and we use that pick on a defensive player?

We had a glut at CB (with Surtain, Poole, Madison and Howard). Now we have a glut at DE.

Hmm, usings picks on RBs and defensive depth. Saban, you and WannspielJohnson are peas in a pod, as far as drafting is concerned.

2. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

When 1st round talent falls to middle of round 2...........YOU GRAB IT NO MATTER WHAT THE POSITION!

3. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

The thing is, Moore was projected to be a 5th rounder and wasn't very good in College. Roth on the other hand was projected to be a 1st rounder, so we got value. ALSO, Kevin Carter is in his 30's and so will Jason Taylor be this season. Roth will be a starter in 2 years most likely. Plus, this gives us a lot of options on the DL, because Carter can also play DT and nobody knows if Bowens and Chester will be 100% this year.

4. ZOD

ZOD Ruler of the Universe

You have no clue.

This dude will be a starter. He will be a starter in a 34 defense. He will rush from the edge. Saban doesn't want 230lb linebackers.

Just to clue you in.......

Willie Mcginest 6'5" 270lbs

Matt Roth 6'3" 272lbs

5. MCMike81

MCMike81 Starter

YOu have no clue what you are saying this is such a dumb thread this is an awsome pick up. The guy is a machine on the field he has a motor that never stops and I saw some mocks with him going in the mid first round. Scouts say the reason he may drop is because he has a temper. read this:

Roth is regarded as one of the premier pass rushers in the collegiate ranks and one of the toughest players in the country. He is a blue-chip prospect with a blue-collar work ethic. Roth is a colorful character who plays the game as if he is on a "search and destroy" mission. He is the source of a campus urban legend, as many Hawkeyes talk of the time Roth challenged and cleared out an entire bar in a fight.

Even in practices, the coaches have to pray he stays under control. They will generally blow the whistle early on plays, so Roth does not hurt any of the offensive players. There are times when he plays with such intensity in practices that the coaches must sit him down, even for walk-throughs.

The guy is and animal and I think a great pick up!!

6. armyfinfan

armyfinfan Seasoned Veteran

Roth is ready to play right now this is an awesome pick. If you can get to the QB your CB's will have a much easier time covering and get more interceptions. Roth will be like a Vrabel Bruschi type player

7. ZOD

ZOD Ruler of the Universe

I beat you.......

8. DolfanDaveInATX

DolfanDaveInATX A True Fan

The Dolphins could have taken anybody in the second round and Errorlyn would be bitching that this is the second coming of Eddie Moore. :rolleyes:

9. motioncityhifi

motioncityhifi I Am The Movie

I trust what Saban is doing because he has done so much more scouting than anyone here. I have complete trust in Saban and what he is doing.

10. erralyn

erralyn Starter

Crappy teams SHOULD NOT DRAFT FOR DEPTH

And that's what we did.

In fact I'm surprised we didn't take Nugent, since we already have a (reasonably) good kicker.

The Dolphins sucked last year and we had obvious needs. Quarterback, for one. But to go and add a player to one of the deepest areas on our team..

..haven't we tried this before? Remember a certain CB we drafted in the 1st round a few years ago when we had Surtain and Madison already?

We'll never fill the holes on the team by constantly building towards the future. At some point you need to draft players who are improvements at their position.

Is Roth better than Carter and Jason Taylor right now? I highly doubt it on both counts.

Eddie Moore all over again.

11. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Good or Bad you draft by value. Roth had great value. Moore was a horrible value pick.

12. JCfinfan

JCfinfan FinHeaven VIP

Another funny thread to read.

13. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Dude please stop, you are making a fool of yourself. Saban isn't interested in a quick fix, he is doing what is best for the future of this Franchise. Roth will be a backup/rotational player this year, but he will be starting probably in two years and has the skills to dominate.

14. pdonavant

pdonavant Scout Team

Come on guys. Quit complaining about Sabans pick. Face it, our defense is getting old!
    I think Saban is putting us in a situation to field the best possible team he can. I doubt everyone we signed this offseason on defense will be here. It will finally be a good change to see that the ones that get to start on defense will have earned a starting job due competing for that spot instead of just getting it because you are a veteran. Let us see what kind of team Saban fields this fall before we start complaining.

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Man of Steel

He reminds me so much of Teddy Bruschi. Great attitude, heart and ability. As I said in 3 posts now, he's versatile enough to play all over the place and he's got great instincts as a player.

I love this pick.

16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

You don't draft a 2nd rounder to be a projected starter. Wannstedt had that much right. Matt Roth is an animal, and yeah he will be starting, and sooner than you think. Remember that Carter's contract is essentially a 2 year deal, if not a 1 year deal, and Holliday's contract is the same.

Tell you the truth I'm more excited by Matt Roth than Ronnie Brown. Don't get me wrong I think Ronnie will be awesome, and probably have a bigger impact than Roth right away, but Roth is the kind of player I expect we're going to see out of Saban a lot, and that excites me. He's like the Pollack of the Big Ten. I bet Saban thought the same thing when he played Iowa, and he also played Oklahoma and Dan Cody, so if he chooses Roth over Cody, I trust him.

17. Muck

Muck Now completely imaginary Hammered

My lord this is crazy.

The problem with those other picks you mentioned......those guys were reaches and/or sucked.

This guy was a 1st rounder. He's an animal who's game translates to the pro level. He's not a backup. This guy will start.

Moment to reflect: list the age of each of our DEs.

18. FIN-IN-RI

FIN-IN-RI Banned Hammered

Great pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

19. FIN-IN-RI

You've been talking to him a lot today! :roflmao:

20. fin-atic

fin-atic Are you a VIP? Finheaven VIP Donator

At what point do you solve problems?? I mean when and how do you get better as a team if all you do is draft BPA?

I am not down on the pick like some are, but I question the need vs OLine and WR.

21. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

erralyn, you poke your head out (like Punxsutawney Phill) around draft time and cast your shadow over the Dolphins drafts. One bashing post after another, until you finally take your lumps and fade away. Let's hope it's before the 3rd round pick this year.

22. FIN-IN-RI

The thing about it is that you don't know our needs like the Phins FO does.

23. d-day

d-day Administrator Administrator Finheaven VIP

Mod Edit: That was not really needed.

24. TeeMoney

Again, you don't draft for need. If the BPA fits your need then great (like Ronnie Brown), but you don't set out to draft for a need. That causes overreaching and excuse-making. I'd rather NOT have to listen to Saban drum up support for a poorly timed pick that fit a team need.

25. miamikid92

miamikid92 PHINS'09!! :D

wow..:shakeno: just stop, you are making NO sence at all..

26. miamikid92

miamikid92 PHINS'09!! :D

like i saw someone say earlier, the jets are looking for fans

27. Joe Flipper

Joe Flipper Starter

bAH....We need another De or LB like a hole in the head..........BAD PICK

28. erralyn

erralyn Starter

Muck

Muck, if you are still reading this post, there are two posters in this thread that I expect to be banned from the board permanently for remarks made.

But staying on the subject, if you don't draft for need...

...then we should have drafted Mike Nugent. He was the best player available. He dominated his position more than any other player in the draft. By that logic, he should have been the #1 overall pick.

So need IS important. If we hadn't spent a ton of cap space of DEs through free agency, then maybe...MAYBE..this pick is justified.

Some have said that Carter and Holliday will play DT in our scheme.

Well, we had a couple DTs who are still pretty good (though ancient) and making a lot of money. This is not a wise use of cap space and is endemic of what caused us to have a lack of talent on offense in the first place.

29. Agua

Agua Fighting the media, one lie at a time

Dude ... Go find some other team to hate.

30. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

In Nick we trust!!!

Yes Nugent is probably the best kicker out there...but is he worth a 2nd rounder?.....probably NOT....it is like taking a kicker on your fantasy league...you can always find other kickers later on who will do just as well...it is not worth taking a kicker 2nd unless your kicker totally sucks.

31. TeeMoney

In who's opinion? Not Saban's (obviously). There are MANY nfl GM's and Coaches that do not believe in drafting kickers at ALL. You would never place a higher value on a Kicker than you would a DE or any other position. Of course, that is just my humble opinion :lol:

32. EightyTwenty

EightyTwenty Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for this individual to start a thread that exhibits even a shred of football knowledge. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time...

33. painnotpleasure

painnotpleasure Hall Of Famer

DAMN RIGHT!

34. Dolfan73

Dolfan73 Finally Back Home

Are you the one who is all over Ken Dorsey's jock??? :roflmao: I think u were spoutin off some B.S. in the chatroom earlier. No offense but you really need to watch football instead of the draft. DT is still a need when you don't have a single D lineman under 30 for the season.

35. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic FinHeaven VIP

Where do we start with your clueless thread?:shakeno: First of all, Nugent, won't even comment it's so dumb. And Good teams/GM's will take the best player even if they have depth. Our DL is old, ROth will find a spot in the starting lineup, he's incredibly talented and a steal in teh 2nd round. Eddie Moore was a 5th round pick selected in the 2nd round by a coach that couldn't evaluate talent. NO ONE IN ANY DRAFT can be considered better than JT or KC right now, but doesn't mean he can't be a great replacement.

36. Jorser

Jorser Insider

Error Lynne
    How Old Are You ?

37. LIQUID24

LIQUID24 hi

Hhahahahah...that's great. :roflmao:

38. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

AHHH, another out of work NFL GM!!!! Hopefully yuou'll get a job in 2006 since your an expert at drafting.

39. erralyn

erralyn Starter

Some people

obviously weren't following what I was saying. I was responding to the draft strategy of 'best player available.' Nugent is the best player in the draft, by virtue of being the most dominant at his position. I was using that example to explain why 'best player available' shouldn't be the Dolphin's draft strategy.

My point is that I do not care how good of a defensive end Roth is, unless he can play in the Pro Bowl for us -this year.- We have too many holes to be drafting for depth and the 'best player available.' We should be drafting 'best player available in a position of need.'

And for the people wanting me to switch teams. Hating a team's recent draft strategy is not the same as hating a team.

The Jets are looking for fans? Fine, -you- become a fan of the Jets. I am loyal Dolphin fan and a loyal season ticket holder. I reserve my right to complain and gripe about poor draft decisions as I choose.

40. fins317

fins317 FinHeaven VIP

Randy Muller from ESPN is guessing that Roth will play LB in the 3-4 Defense, he feels that he will play a similar position as Vrabel from the Patriots and is better suited there than DL