Kaepernick Belongs With Big Boys | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kaepernick Belongs With Big Boys

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I've seen mocks that still have Colin Kaepernick going in the third and fourth rounds. At this point that's just a pipe dream. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Kaepernick is the third quarterback off the boards come April and to be more specific I wouldn't be blown away if Miami took him at 15. There are so many teams that need quarterbacks and he has the skills to work with even though he does have an elongated throwing motion. Teams are more likely IMO to take a chance on him than Ryan Mallett, simply because Kaepernick is seemingly coachable and made big strides during the Senior Bowl week. I also don't think the Pistol offense will hold him back as much as others might. In a way this seems like the direction the NFL is heading, more spread offenses, quicker reads etc. Kaepernick might just be ahead of the game in some ways. Kaepernick, I believe, is a 1st to early 2nd rounder.

It's funny, this was actually one among several things I wrote, that Simon borrowed for our Draft Winds piece in the Sun Sentinel.

The "big boys" all have:

A) Size
B) Arm strength & tools
C) Accuracy
D) Production
E) Winning Records
F) Aggressiveness
G) Ability to beat the blitz

I think Colin Kaepernick ticks off all of those check-boxes...except the last. That's the one I'm not sure about.

Ryan Mallett can beat the blitz not because he has great feet, but because he can read a defense pretty quickly and stand tall in the pocket, having the patience to get the ball where it needs to go. Through a certain point late in the season, he had completed 76% of his passes with a 10.5 YPA, 4 TDs and 0 INTs...when blitzed from the shotgun.

On the other hand, Cam Newton can beat the blitz with quick feet and a very quick and versatile delivery

Blaine Gabbert is somewhere in between the two. He can beat blitzes either way.

Where is Colin Kaepernick in this? He may be good on a straight line, but he does not have Newton's quick feet in the pocket, nor does he have his compact and versatile delivery. Kaepernick has a very long delivery which tends to require a clean lane and some space to set up. I don't know if all that is conducive to beating the blitz. And he's certainly not beating it from the pocket with advanced passing like Ryan Mallett does.

I can't speak on his overall game b/c the first i've seen this guy is in the senior bowl. With that said though wow this guy has got a cannon for an arm maybe even more so than Cutler. Seems a little akward though when running the ball at least to me kinda seemed like he was running but never had his feet under him.

I disagree with the OP all the way around.. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all the quarterbacks are still on the board at #15...

I disagree with the OP all the way around.. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all the quarterbacks are still on the board at #15...

I hope (but highly doubt) your right so then we can choose the QB we wanted along without paying more to get him.

I don't think Blaine Gabbert makes it past the Redskins.

But along the lines of what the OP said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins (or someone else) picks him in the first.

Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco both landed in the first round (11th and I think 17th?)

Interesting bit that CK wrote about regarding inability to beat the blitz. As far as intangibles, who is your favorite guy out of the top available in the draft? Content of Character, and the "it" factor?

I don't think Blaine Gabbert makes it past the Redskins.

But along the lines of what the OP said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins (or someone else) picks him in the first.

Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco both landed in the first round (11th and I think 17th?)

Interesting bit that CK wrote about regarding inability to beat the blitz. As far as intangibles, who is your favorite guy out of the top available in the draft? Content of Character, and the "it" factor?

When you say "content of character" that means one thing to me, and when you say "it factor" that means another thing to me. The two aren't tied together. Content of character I think it depends on whether you actually consider Colin Kaepernick a part of that top group or not. I personally do not. And so when it comes to character there's very little doubt that you're going to take Blaine Gabbert, who put off a few people early in his college career but is reportedly very well liked now. I'd say the same about Newton, and it's probably true, but let's face it Newton DID get caught doing more stuff, and as far as I know there's no Cecil Newton type distraction hovering around Gabbert.

But when you talk about "it" factor, can there really be any doubt that it's Cam Newton? I mean, really? Someone other than the guy that pulled out all those close games and come-from-behind victories to go 14-0 in the SEC?

Drafting Kaepernick as anything but a QB to be groomed for 3-5 years behind an existing QB - to me - is silly.

Just say no to both Newton and Kaepernick. It should be Gabbert, Mallett, or wait until next year.

Just say no to both Newton and Kaepernick. It should be Gabbert, Mallett, or wait until next year.
Kapernick is intriguing but I agree with you. Kapernick reminds me of a non retarded version of vince young with a better ARM and less athletic ability. The question is how long would it take to develop him? And unfortunately we don't have the time to wait and see

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Anything to the rumors about Mallett being........?..inattentive?

When you say "content of character" that means one thing to me, and when you say "it factor" that means another thing to me. The two aren't tied together. Content of character I think it depends on whether you actually consider Colin Kaepernick a part of that top group or not. I personally do not. And so when it comes to character there's very little doubt that you're going to take Blaine Gabbert, who put off a few people early in his college career but is reportedly very well liked now. I'd say the same about Newton, and it's probably true, but let's face it Newton DID get caught doing more stuff, and as far as I know there's no Cecil Newton type distraction hovering around Gabbert.

But when you talk about "it" factor, can there really be any doubt that it's Cam Newton? I mean, really? Someone other than the guy that pulled out all those close games and come-from-behind victories to go 14-0 in the SEC?

You've got to give it to Kaepernick though, he had his share of "it" moments this season as well, the huge upset of Boise State, the bowl win over Boston College, he had a great season.

Totally disagree with that, I think one year of coaching tops and this kid will be ready.

I don't see that throwing motion ever getting it done in the NFL. I don't know think he'll be able to survive (maintain velocity and accuracy) changing it. But, if he's able to successfully overhaul his throwing motion, I don't think he can do it in less than two or three years - and that's assuming he picks of the other QB nuances that are major question marks for almost all rookie QB's.

Back
Top Bottom