League News, cuts, signings, rumors….. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

League News, cuts, signings, rumors…..

If I'm not mistaken, the start of the league year is when teams have to be compliant, and calculations are done at league offices. Not sure the exact date this year, but usually in late march.

I don't believe they are required to be "under the cap" to franchise a player, or even offer a new contract for that matter, but they will have to make other moves by the start of the new league year.

This may seem unfair, but I'm not sure how you would do it otherwise. If teams had to be under the cap on a daily basis it would severely limit what they could do in the offseason.
League year is March 16th, right around the corner

Ogbah is not worth top 5 money, and any contract he signs will be for less money annually.

Conversely, any contract Gesicki signs will be for more money annually than the franchise tag of $11mil/year.

It just makes sense to try and sign Ogbah to a long term deal and to franchise Gesicki for a year.

Are all "whiffs" terrible, or just "par for the course" when drafting in the NFL?

Since about 50% of the first-round draftees "fail to deliver" relative to their draft placement, it seems inevitable that there will be "whiffs".

I think you are understating how effective Grier's drafting has been. You seem to ignore that he works with our HC during the draft and responds to some of the HC's directed preferences. You also seem to ignore or understate his successes.

I have no intention of going back over your older posts to bring up examples.

The fact that I have developed a sensitivity to your anti-Grier posts is due to your previous anti-Grier posts. They have made an impression on me, and not a very good one.
You are correct but I am very aware that Flores had a huge impact in drafting. It's true that there are many whiffs in every round of the draft. It's also true that I don't really like Grier. Ross is always in New York so Grier, in my book, is Ross's on site guy and a bit of a corporate lackey. I think a change should have been made at GM long ago. But, this recent hire of Mike McDaniel is a fantastic hire so that is a big plus for Grier. I'm not sure what % was Ross and what % was Grier but at this point I'm very happy about having McD as Head Coach. I also believe we have an excellent opportunity to have a MUCH better offense. I'd let McD do a lot of the thinking in FA and the draft, the guy is super smart and I think he's the best chance the Dolphin's have had in years to turn things around. Philbin, Gase and Flores were all wrong choices because we never won a playoff game under any of these 3 and only got in one game which we lost. I guess we just have to disagree on Grier, but, if McD works out he's going to look good!! I pray that happens!! My only agenda is to see the Dolphin's dominating the AFC East and winning Super Bowls for a good long while!! Final thought-McD is going to turn Tua into a weapon!! With a line and a run game he'll be picking teams apart, can't wait!

As much as I like Ogbah, if his FA $$ demands get out of hand then he might not be the best value on the market and not the best 'bang for the buck'. We'll see but if he makes it just about the benjamins, then he becomes just one of the products at the DE store and we might have to pick a different one.

Hunter Long for whatever reason just didn’t see much playing time under Flores. Remains to be seen if he can be utilized better with some new schemes.
He was making plays in training camp last year so there’s still hope

Are all "whiffs" terrible, or just "par for the course" when drafting in the NFL?

Since about 50% of the first-round draftees "fail to deliver" relative to their draft placement, it seems inevitable that there will be "whiffs".

I think you are understating how effective Grier's drafting has been. You seem to ignore that he works with our HC during the draft and responds to some of the HC's directed preferences. You also seem to ignore or understate his successes.

I have no intention of going back over your older posts to bring up examples.

The fact that I have developed a sensitivity to your anti-Grier posts is due to your previous anti-Grier posts. They have made an impression on me, and not a very good one.
Thinking it was all Grier and not understanding the circumstances at the time allow for statements like that. Then you add the utter distain for Grier and walla, you have the ignorance that only seems to happen here. Grier's successes will never matter to some here, nor will statistics on the success rate of high draft choices, only that So-And So make a choice that didn't work and that makes the GM stupid. SMH

Hunter Long for whatever reason just didn’t see much playing time under Flores. Remains to be seen if he can be utilized better with some new schemes.
He was making plays in training camp last year so there’s still hope
Well according to most he's Gesicki 2.0 but without the ability to actually start. It ain't like Miami's TE corps is a tough nut to crack into if you are any good at all. Hopefully our new OC can do something with this group but it's not inspiring at all (and I even say franchise Gesicki unless you can sign a guy like Schults).

Last edited:
Etuoo33, Grier's job is to build a team that has major success in the post season. He has zero post season success and he hired 3 lousy coaches in a row. Anybody on this board would hit on some picks. There has been no meaningful victories since Grier has had the job. He suckered O'Brien for a ton of picks then didn't replace the LT that he traded. Jackson is a far cry from Tunsil. The oline has been a glaring weakness for years without a correct repair in sight. We still have no LT going forward!! There's a lot of work for the new coach to do. He started by building a great staff and I love the hire so maybe better days are coming.

Back
Top Bottom