lets go after posey | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

lets go after posey

Posey was kinda just there in Buffalo. While in Houston he was a much better player and was noticeable.

thecoordinator said:
i dont follow you guys that are talking about it's too late to add him to the mix. this guy is a 3-4 LB with 3-4 experience in san francisco and houston under capers' scheme and has more nfl starts aside from zach than the rest of our LB corps combined. it's just funny because you're the same guys that, had allen signed today, would be talking about how there is enough time for him to get the system down and contribute early in the season, yet an 8 year nfl vet with previous exp in a 3-4 can't do it ?

If only it were that easy... "Well, he played in the 3-4, so he will be fine". NFL systems go far and beyond merely a 3-4 or a 4-3. This is Saban's defense, not Capers. The two versions of the 3-4 could differ dramatically in language alone, requiring months of learning and studying to grasp. Jason Allen on the other hand, has his playbook. He has had it since April 29th. He has practiced with the team and he has attended meetings. There is no comparing the two situations. Posey may very well be a quick learner, but any player would have trouble learning a new system in just a month. Not saying its impossible, but he would also have to prove he is a better fit than Hodge and Newman, who have had months to show their worth.

He was consistant in Buffalo. But in the new Tampa-2 style defense his size no longer gives him the advantage at the Strong Side Lineback Position. Now there is not much different between the WLB and the SLB as opposed to the old one where a big man was needed forthe job. I wanted to see him get a shot at DE before he was cut.

PhinFan0202 said:
I just figured that out. Why does it say that he's a DE?

He's one of those DE/LBs. He's like 6'4 so depending on the D scheme, he'll either line up upright off the line or as a down lineman on the end. I don't know if he's better than who we already have, though. What I wonder, however is he a better option than say, David Bowens? Anyone have any opinions?

no, what is it with you people, everytime someone gets cut from a team we should bring them in, no man. we are not a friggin expansion team.:shakeno:
we're good with what we got let us at least evaluate the guys we have in game situations. we have some good young talent as well as capable veterans.

No to Bill Cast offs, if he's not good enough on their team he isn't welcome here.:dolphins:

Dolfan1000 said:
If only it were that easy... "Well, he played in the 3-4, so he will be fine". NFL systems go far and beyond merely a 3-4 or a 4-3. This is Saban's defense, not Capers. The two versions of the 3-4 could differ dramatically in language alone, requiring months of learning and studying to grasp.

it is that easy man. this isn't about terminology. it's about a player that fits a certain role very nicely. posey is a gap control 3-4 LB that is strong at the point of attack - taking on OL blocks vs the run- who can also rush the passer. he wont be an every down player or responsible for any coverages beyond a hook zone. as his familiarity with the system increases, he might be asked to do a little more but not much. again, he fits a specific role that is common in any 3-4 scheme. when its a run, control this gap, and if it's a pass, sack the qb.

DolfanDane said:
yeah right we have enough bills on our team i hate the bills lets not turn into them
yeah if the guy is good for us, we definitely would not want to bring him in just because he was a Bill :shakeno:

painnotpleasure said:
Why did Buffalo release him? Financial reasons?

they are changing their D to a base cover 2 look and posey is not an ideal LB for that scheme. plus, crowell emerged last year when spikes got hurt and they gave him a nice new deal.

thecoordinator said:
it is that easy man. this isn't about terminology. it's about a player that fits a certain role very nicely. posey is a gap control 3-4 LB that is strong at the point of attack - taking on OL blocks vs the run- who can also rush the passer. he wont be an every down player or responsible for any coverages beyond a hook zone. as his familiarity with the system increases, he might be asked to do a little more but not much. again, he fits a specific role that is common in any 3-4 scheme. when its a run, control this gap, and if it's a pass, sack the qb.

Surely you do not actually believe that playing in a defensive scheme is that simple? If it is a pass, rush the QB, if it is a run, then take on blocks? Even the players will contest that Saban's D is as complicated as they have ever seen. I am not saying Posey would not be a good fit, in fact I think he would fit in very nicely. But that does not take away from the fact that it is extremely difficult to master a defense to the point where a guy can read and react instead of thinking. It surely would take more than a month.

Back
Top Bottom