Look at this from Billszone.com!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Look at this from Billszone.com!!

Nick13 said:
firstly, its Cro-magnon man, and secondly cro-magnon man was a **** sapien, thus a human being. (sorry, i'm an Anthropology minor...)

I'm sorry you're an anthropology minortoo :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Just kidding ;)

Haha! Finfans can't see sarcasm if it hit them in the head. You guys are more sensitive than a woman w/ PMS.

You guys keep keep Saban, nobody wants him here, its going to be Steve Spurrier all over again, it doesnt help Miami is worse than the Skins.

TakeoSpikes51 said:
You guys keep keep Saban, nobody wants him here, its going to be Steve Spurrier all over again, it doesnt help Miami is worse than the Skins.

Keep thinking that. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... last the college coach with no NFL HC experience to jump to the pros and be a success in the NFL?

That might be ... Marv Levy ... no, he was HC at KC before he became a college coach ...

Oh, I think maybe it was Barry Switzer from Oklahoma ... He won the 1996 SB with the Cowgirls, although many people thought it really was owner Gerry Jones calling the shots ...

Who else?

Ummmm....

I think he's probably it since the AFL joined the NFL in 1970 --

The sad fact is, Fishyfans, that college and the pros ain't on the same planet.

The big-time college game is primarily about recruiting talented kids; if you can collect lots of talent, you can generally overwhelm about half your legitimate opponents and pick up a couple of stat-packing wins against Podunk State Teachers College-type teams. That's six or seven wins right there, leaving three or four legitimate contests until you get to the bowl "season", which is generally 1 game long. Did they expand it to two this year? It's not like they have a real football playoff system in the NCAA.

In the NFL, the difference betwee n the SB champion and the worst team in the league is miniscule, especially with the salary cap, so there's no "push overs". Every game is tough, especially among division rivals, and every game is important because it's how many games you win not how much did you run up the score on Podunk State Teachers College that counts. The season is sixteen games long, and you have to deal with adults with attitudes and agents not awed nineteen-year-olds, and maybe you're lucky enough to make the playoffs. Again, you don't get a break because of your reputation or your "rating", only if you win more games than all the other teams in your conference.

Can you FishyFans say "learning curve"? It's what your boy's going to have to endure ... :biggrin:

I never wanted Saban. I wanted one of the Pats coordinators (preferrably Weiss).

But I'm happy with Mularkey right now.

Since when does the fact that other college coaches failed affect this particular one in any way?

First of all, he worked under Belichick in Cleveland.

But you can't compare Saban to Spurrier, which everyone seems to want to do. Spurrier was successful because he did schedule the Podunk States of the world and simply out-talented his way to the top. He bombed the ball down the field over and over again, because once in a while, it was bound to work. In the pros, everyone knew that would fail miserably.

Saban always ran a pro-style team in college. He hasn't proven anything yet, to be sure, but at the same time, no one can pronounce his demise just as no one can pronounce his success.

Kinzua said:
Hmmm... last the college coach with no NFL HC experience to jump to the pros and be a success in the NFL?

That might be ... Marv Levy ... no, he was HC at KC before he became a college coach ...

Oh, I think maybe it was Barry Switzer from Oklahoma ... He won the 1996 SB with the Cowgirls, although many people thought it really was owner Gerry Jones calling the shots ...

Who else?

Ummmm....

How about Jimmy Johnson. He won two SBs by smacking the crap out of Marv Levy and your Buffalo Bills.

Did you wipe that from your memory because it was too painful?

Kinzua said:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
How about Jimmy Johnson. He won two SBs by smacking the crap out of Marv Levy and your Buffalo Bills.

Did you wipe that from your memory because it was too painful?

The last time I looked, last does NOT mean all or only.

Switzer replaced Johnson, so Johnson was NOT the last college coach to jump to the pros and be a success. In fact, those Cowgirls teams of the 1990s were so talented (thanks largely to the Herschel Walker trade) that even two former college coaches couldn't lose with 'em. After all, Johnson had so much success the Fishies, didn't he?

:rasp:

Kinzua said:
The last time I looked, last does NOT mean all or only.

Switzer replaced Johnson, so Johnson was NOT the last college coach to jump to the pros and be a success. In fact, those Cowgirls teams of the 1990s were so talented (thanks largely to the Herschel Walker trade) that even two former college coaches couldn't lose with 'em. After all, Johnson had so much success the Fishies, didn't he?

:rasp:

Your memory did skip from Switzer to Levy, didn't it? Painful memories.

As for Johnson's success with the Fin, you might want the compare it against the recent history of the Bills before talking smack. :shakeno:

That bit of Bills homerism was pretty silly. I haven't personally seen anyone else posting such fantasy about the Bills winning a string of Super Bowls. That said, most of us are genuinely happy about Mularkey's performance as head coach. Yes, a lot of Bills fans advocated getting Saban before Mularkey was named head coach, and a number of fans were disappointed in Mularkey. We aren't jealous though and not pining at the fact that Saban ended up in Miami. We've heard a few accounts now of how Saban has been dressing down players and acting a bit like Tom Coughlin. Maybe that will work for the Dolphins, but I think it works better to treat players with more respect. I think Coughlin's style, if Saban is really coaching that way, wears thin on players and soon has a negative effect. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom