Looks like Manny Lawson in the 1st and Claude Wroten in the 3rd | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks like Manny Lawson in the 1st and Claude Wroten in the 3rd

Shawn-l

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Manny will be too hard to pass up in the first round. Saban likes "value" and Lawson is just like Jason Taylor only more athletic. He not only is a terror as a pass rusher the kid blocks kicks and punts on special teams.

Claude Wroten was a lock in the second round. He just got popped on a drug test. Being one of Saban's boys, I don't think the drug test scares Saban as Wroten is an incredible talent at DT.

It would suck getting two defensive lineman first as we need safety and possibly cornerback help but I'm thinking with the new passing rules in place, Saban would rather pressure the QB with sacks and hurries then worry about having the receivers locked down.

I heard two players just failed drug tests, didn't hear that Wroten was one of them. Do you have a link? My source didn't name names.

Do you know someone we don't ? How do you know Lawson will even be there when we pick ? If he is, there's no guarantee we'll take him. Especially if a higher talent falls to us in that spot. I also really don't see Nick taking someone who just failed a drug test on the first day of the draft. He's seeing first hand how much of a headache that can create. But all in all, nobody has a clue who's going where this year in the top 10 let alone at 16. I'm excited about the draft too, but let's not get too excited or set on any one player, it just isn't that simple. There's probably a few dozen scenarios Nick has a contengency for (trades past us, us trading down, better talent dropping down to us, etc, etc.) but even Nick at this point can't say who he'll pick at 16 (if we stay there), depending upon who's available.

I actually am warming up to Lawson more and more. The more I read about him the more I really like the idea of having him opposite Taylor.

Wroten... I am not as sold on. Yes he is a great talent, but we just drafted two DTs last year, plus we have more holes in the secondary. I think there would be more value taking a DB in the Third. UNLESS, we can trade Ricky for a Second and grab a DB there. Then I'd be ok with Wroten. Still think it could be overkill on DTs, but we know Saban loves D and wants to get younger.

Oboy said:
I actually am warming up to Lawson more and more. The more I read about him the more I really like the idea of having him opposite Taylor.

Wroten... I am not as sold on. Yes he is a great talent, but we just drafted two DTs last year, plus we have more holes in the secondary. I think there would be more value taking a DB in the Third. UNLESS, we can trade Ricky for a Second and grab a DB there. Then I'd be ok with Wroten. Still think it could be overkill on DTs, but we know Saban loves D and wants to get younger.

I frequent lots of draft boards and things like that and there is alot of talk that Wroten might actually be dropping farther than the 3rd... I think he could be our Will Poole this year (Crowder last year)... Lawson, is just a freak and I couldnt complain if we took him

My thoughts on the situation is this...

1) Saban preaches value to the organization. There are critical positions in the draft and those positions are typically anything to do with the passing game. Whether it be a QB, a LT, a DE, or a CB. Those are typically premieire positions. Now, if there are sure fire picks at other positions in the first 10 picks such as a Michael Huff or an AJ Hawk then those are typically the exceptions. We're at 16 and possibly moving down.

2) We have a need at OLB and seem to be leaning towards more of a 3-4 alignment. Manny Lawson is an ideal 3-4 OLB and is more than likely going to end up available at our 16th pick. The kid is a freak in the mold of Jason Taylor, he runs a 4.4 forty at 6'5" and 240lbs. He is a sack artist and a kick blocker on special teams due to his long arms, incredible leaping ability, and knack for finding the ball. He brings a LOT of value in that he excels at pass rushing and creating plays on special teams as well as having freakish physical abilities. The reason I believe he should fall to us is that there are just too many other "fashionable" picks before him. The kid has all the ability in the world and has yet to reach his potential and I believe Saban is licking his chops to get him. Just imagine what it would be like to have "2" Jason Taylor's on defense?

3) Cornerback/Safety? I don't think Saban is enamored with lockdown cover guys. With the rules the way they are now, it's just too risky to try to lockdown a receiver. How many penalties did Ty Law get last year? But he did get 10 interceptions. I think Saban leans more towards physical DB's with "adequate" coverage skills. Letting go of both Sam Madison and Pat Surtain is somewhat of a sign of that tendency. Therefore, I don't see him taking a DB in the first round when there's a freakish alternative to affecting the passer with a guy like Manny Lawson.

The comment about Claude Wroten testing positive was on Football Futures which turns out came from PFT. So, take it with a grain a salt. Jon Scifries was supposedly the other one who tested positive.

Wroten was rumored to have sent an apology to the GM's of the NFL because of the incident.

Back
Top Bottom