Looks Like WR @ 21 MIGHT Be The Move. If So, Who? | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks Like WR @ 21 MIGHT Be The Move. If So, Who?

If WR Is The Pick @ 21...Who?

• Total voters
Question? Were his routes limited simply because he was so effective with the ones he ran and didn't really need to do much more in that offense?

Or does he struggle to learn routes, which is an entirely different scenario. I don't know the answer. I haven't dug that deep.

What I do know is he had 17 touchdown catches and was a nightmare to cover. He looks like one of the better 50/50 winners too, although I think Coleman is better there.
6-4, 4.33 forty is a problem for the defense. Even if the corner can run with him, which is not likely, he still will lose because of the height, reach.

I'm not a fan of drafting a WR at #21, but, not completely against it either. I understand the rational. You got be thinking A.T. (After Tyreek) & the need for an X WR.

My concern is the phins primarily use the 21 or 12 personnel grouping. Drafting a Receiver in the 1st might pigeonhole the phins into using more of the 11 personnel grouping limiting the use of Jonnu or Ingold.
With the fact that we use a FB on many plays AND the fact we've brought in Jonnu Smith and continued to look at TE prospects in the draft, you almost have to see less use of 3rd and 4th WRs on many plays.
I think our 3rd WR may play less than many think. Yes, it's a good injury hedge, but barring that... the young guy may not offer much this year.

6-4, 4.33 forty is a problem for the defense. Even if the corner can run with him, which is not likely, he still will lose because of the height, reach.
No doubt. I wonder if the lack of route running is being overplayed?

I would think if Miami takes him, it would be to eventually get out of the Hill contract and have a viable solution at wide receiver in his place.

Does he move the needle enough? Would Thomas be that player who helps Miami finally get past Buffalo and win the AFC East?

imaging if we end up with Thomas and then Cooper Beebe in the 2nd round......our offense would be scary

QB-Tua
RB-Mostert
RB-Achane
TE-Smith
WR-Hill
WR-Waddle
WR-Thomas
LT-Armstead
LG-Beebe
C-Brewer
RG-Eich
RT-Jackson

how does a defense covers all that speed? Playmakers all over the place
They won’t. Then November will come. And they will.

'Route-running' is so much less important when you are a tall guy, because even when you are covered, if the QB throws the ball to the leading side, your tall guy has a marked advantage in this 'contested catch'... especially if your QB is accurate... which Tua is.

No doubt. I wonder if the lack of route running is being overplayed?

I would think if Miami takes him, it would be to eventually get out of the Hill contract and have a viable solution at wide receiver in his place.

Does he move the needle enough? Would Thomas be that player who helps Miami finally get past Buffalo and win the AFC East?
The only other 6-4 WR I could find running 4.33 was DK Metcalf, not bad company. I don’t think anybody moves the needle for us more than an All-Pro OL. OL is the engine of the team.

Barring a trade, we've got two years with these two WRs.

Waddle is under contract this year and 2005 will see us use his 5th year option.

Hill has two years left on his contract, and the fact that we didn't fiddle with it this year STRONGLY implies that we are allowing it to lapse after 2025.

So... a first round WR will essentially sit for 2 full years. That's just not ideal.

Yes, I know... he'd mix in and cover injuries, but he wouldn't START. I could see us drafting a first round WR, but only if we love, love, LOVE the guy... and love him more than the Rices and McCaffreys we could get later.

Barring a trade, we've got two years with these two WRs.

Waddle is under contract this year and 2005 will see us use his 5th year option.

Hill has two years left on his contract, and the fact that we didn't fiddle with it this year STRONGLY implies that we are allowing it to lapse after 2025.

So... a first round WR will essentially sit for 2 full years. That's just not ideal.

Yes, I know... he'd mix in and cover injuries, but he wouldn't START. I could see us drafting a first round WR, but only if we love, love, LOVE the guy... and love him more than the Rice's and McCaffrey's we could get later.
I can't help but think of how good a spot we could be in by trading Tyreek after this season. We would be able to load up on quality players in next year's draft, and there would be the added bonus of Tua and McD being able to both do much better by not having to feel like they have to force the ball to Tyreek.

I can't help but think of how good a spot we could be in by trading Tyreek after this season. We would be able to load up on quality players in next year's draft, and there would be the added bonus of Tua and McD being able to both do much better by not having to feel like they have to force the ball to Tyreek.
I think you'd be surprised how little Hill would fetch in a trade. At his age and with him already talking retirement, his market is that of a one year at a time player.
I think we'd do good to get a third round pick.

I think you'd be surprised how little Hill would fetch in a trade. At his age and with him already talking retirement, his market is that of a one year at a time player.
I think we'd do good to get a third round pick.
I was thinking more like a 2nd plus a late round pick. I'm sure some contender would give up that much for just 1 or 2 years of Tyreek. I would be open to trading him this year if we could immediately backfill with a vet. Something like swapping him for Tee Higgins.

One other thought on moving Hill...

The only teams who would be interested in trading for a one year player are really good teams, teams on the brink of a playoff run.

And would it be a good idea to strengthen our rivals? I'm thinking not. If we tried to trade Hill to a bad team, he'd probably retire, or threaten to retire and make a big stink.

If one of our WRs has a trade market, it's the other one.

We are looking for #3. I support Ryan Fluornoy, Jalen Coker, Haden Hatten. We have some late day 3 picks. Those would be good picks for #3.

1712514554192.png
1712514591328.png

Question? Were his routes limited simply because he was so effective with the ones he ran and didn't really need to do much more in that offense?

Or does he struggle to learn routes, which is an entirely different scenario? I don't know the answer. I haven't dug that deep.

What I do know is he had 17 touchdown catches and was a nightmare to cover. He looks like one of the better 50/50 winners too, although I think Coleman is better there.
I can't say if he is not capable of running other routes but his use was limited to downfield stuff that utilized his height and speed.

He was very, very good running those routes but he will not have as much success doing that against better DB's in the NFL.

If he can't expand his route running he is going to be limited to what he did at LSU, which is still pretty good but not good enough for me to take at #21 when Miami does not need a WR and does have significant needs at both sides of the LOS.

Not to mention that in such a deep WR class good ones can be found in R2-3.

IF Thomas is the best player on the board at #21 I am trading back.

Waddle won't be getting a new deal for 2 more seasons and Tyreek should play his contract out.

How is this a necessity for the next few years or success? I'm lost.

It's legit the ONLY position group on the offense that is top to bottom good enough right now.

I'm a firm believer in BPA, and if that doesn't align with a position that immediately helps or has the proper value, unlike WR, you trade back and acquire more assets...

We have the best WR duo in the league yet the only way we'll have sustained success the next 2 years is to draft another with a premium resource on a roster full of holes in the trenches?

FH is where common sense goes to die..
If you’re lost on this- just replay the last 5 games of the season, how the offence performed with both 10 and 17 banged up… and the thinking is that this draft is so deep with wr talent you may get a great wr at 21 or 55 that may not be available in the upcoming future drafts- this offence runs through the wr- despite having the best duo- our wr room as a whole was not good enough last year- especially late in the season

Back
Top Bottom