Maidana vs. Mayweather: The Craziness Begins.....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ebozzz, May 3, 2014.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

[video=youtube_share;lI8K829pEaU]http://youtu.be/lI8K829pEaU[/video]

Photo comparison of the gloves.....

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16908.html

Here's Ellerbe's explanation

[video=youtube_share;RzgN310On6k]http://youtu.be/RzgN310On6k[/video]

They finally sorted it out and the fight is on....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  2. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Meh boxing is not really relevant anymore, Paquio vs Mayweather might have brought them into the national light but that boat has sailed

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Not true at all, and that's coming from someone who doesn't follow it to a large extent. Mayweather fights especially bring in nearly double the PPV purchases that most MMA fights bring in. (again, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm pretty indifferent to both)

Although, dwindling interest happens whenever you have someone as dominant as Mayweather. Do I want to pay money to watch Mayweather pummel somebody? Not really. But he still sells. Hell, I was just kicked out of a pub because they had to close and set up for the fight tonight. The place is going to be PACKED.

Side note, as a casual fan (I like watching a good fight occasionally), I really don't have a clue how the champion(s) are determined.

4. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I stand corrected then. I just think of the golden days of Ali, Frazier, foreman etc

5. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I like boxing but god I hate Mayweather would never put money in his pocket

I wish i had been around for Lewis and Tyson. I remember seeing the adverts for the fights on cartoon network as a kid lol

6. Gonzo

I think it goes through different phases. You have periods when you have several dominant fighters followed by periods where one guy is dominant by far. I imagine MMA will get to that point to, if it hasn't had it already (really don't follow either very much).

Speaking of surprising popularity (sorry for the tangent ebozzz), I was in New Orleans during Wrestlemania....I had no idea how popular it still is. The most shocking thing was how many UK fans there were that flew in to see it. Amazing.

7. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

Mayweather fights murder the UFC in ppv buys. Problem being that Mayweather and Pacquiao are the only two dudes in the sport who can compete with the UFC. Mayweather had 2.5 million, 1 million, and 1.5 million ppv buys in his last three fights, so let's just call his average about 1.5 million ppv buys. Pacquiao's last fight netted about 775,000 ppv buys, and his two fights before that with Rios and Marquez did 475k, and one million respectively, for an average of about seven hundred and fifty thousand in his last three fights.

Here's a breakdown for ppv buys of the average UFC event:

Average PPV Buy Rate = 526,470

Average PPV with Title Fight = 605,114 (+15% over average)

Average PPV with Non-Title Fight = 385,000 (-27% over average)

Average PPV Buy-Rate Featuring TUF Coaches = 940,000 (+79% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate with Main Event Cards Affected by Injuries = 405,357 (-23% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate Featuring Heavyweight Bout in Main/Co-Main Event = 748,182 (+42% over average)

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotat...cs-ppv-numbers-and-how-they-can-improve-them/

Manny and Floyd combined for three fights in 2013, while the UFC hosted thirty-three events that same year. It's my understanding that the UFC has surpassed boxing in the 18-34 male demographic, and that boxing has become more of a European sport than an American one.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

No need to apologize at all!

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Boxing maybe gets a little more attention in Europe now because there are a few champions in that region now. Overall, I still think the better quality fighters are from the Americas.

Interesting statistics you posted. Call me crazy but I watch very little UFC. Just doesn't hold my attention as much as boxing does. Not interested in paying for either though. The thing that hurts boxing to me is the alphabet soup. WAY too many governing bodies. WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, etc..... And, it seems that each of the big promoters has significant influence with at least one of those. Then you get to the issue of the promoters feuding with one another and not allowing their fighters to go against fighters from other camps. HBO & Showtime are to blame also. It's a huge mess...

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  10. Gonzo

Agreed! It's especially confusing for the more casual fan. I have no idea how it works. I just want to see good fights. The current system seems to do more to prevent that than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. rob19

It depends on what you like. I prefer the MMA fights to boxing matches.

The UFC has all it's fighters under one promotion, so there's none of this nonsense that goes on in boxing. You fight who Dana tells you and when Dana tells you.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Not exactly but it does set up the opportunity of the best fighters meeting one another more frequently than boxing does. Lot of politics in the UFC as well. Dana plays favorites to some degree. If he doesn't like you, you don't get the best fights.

13. rob19

Well, Joe Silva is the official UFC matchmaker, but by and large the UFC puts on the fights the fans want to see, when the fans want to see them; certainly much more than boxing. Do you have any examples of favoritism? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I know that Dana doesn't like Roy Nelson or Tito Ortiz, and both of them got great opportunities.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Roy is one of the people I would mention but he has had a few opportunities. Joe Silva may be the matchmaker but Dana calls the shots. I admit that you get to see who you want to see matched against each other more frequently in the UFC. It still doesn't do much for me. I like boxing more even if it's the mess of alphabet soup that it is. Again, that's just me and I certainly mean no disrespect to you regarding your choice of favorite between the two. Different strokes!

Main event participants are in the ring. Barring some freak occurrence, Mayweather will win easily. I hope that doesn't mean that Khan is his next opponent.....

15. Gonzo

It's funny, the bar I was in is over 2 blocks away and I could hear people cheering.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Good fight thus far.....

17. rob19

Holy hell. I think Mayweather might be down 0-4 so far.

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

You might be right!

19. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Close fight by my estimation so far. Money seems to have caught himself after losing the last few rounds.

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

I think Floyd is banking on Maidana getting tired. Dangerous strategy....

21. tylerdolphin

Great fight so far.

22. tylerdolphin

Money is fixing to soon knock down Marcos. Either way, gotta admire the total lack of fear Marcos has shown so far against the best in the world.

23. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

I don't know and I think he needs to knock him down or out to ensure the win....

24. tylerdolphin

Yep. If this last round doesnt have a knock down or out...Money might be in trouble.

25. tylerdolphin

Ive been drinking and havent kept a serious round by round track, but I honestly dont know which way this is gonna go.

26. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

It wouldn't surprise me if ti went either way....

27. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

28. tylerdolphin

Money takes it. Admirable effort by Marcos.

29. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Floyd was scared!

30. tylerdolphin

Two judges had it quite a but in Mayweather's favor if I heard right. Didnt really see that.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

"If the fans wanna see it again, we gonna do it again"

31. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Had it in his favor by comfortable margins! I could possibly see the fight being scored in his favor but I think one of the judges had 117 - 111? Come on...

32. tylerdolphin

Maidana talking mad **** lol. Rematch has to happen

33. rob19

Looks like it might be a rematch.

I'd rather see him fight Manny next. Seems like good timing. Manny just beat the bricks off of Timothy Bradley.

34. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

I don't think he beat the bricks off him but it was a convincing victory. It will never happen because of Bob Arum. As long as Manny is with him, Floyd won't agree to anything.

I'm gonna throw this out there. What's your opinion? Do you think that Floyd keep it close to increase the interest in his last few fights?

35. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

I thought the fight was closer then the score cards reflected. Manny vs Floyd has done sailed imo. It should have happened but it wont. I didn't watch the interviews but I don't think Floyd will do the rematch when he has Amir Kahn calling him out. Floyd will take that fight and dominate Kahn who is over rated imo as well.

36. rob19

That's unfortunate. I think if Floyd called Manny tomorrow and offered him the 40 million straight up that Manny initially turned down in their last negotiations, Manny would accept it in a heartbeat.

I don't think Floyd intentionally wanted to make it this close. I think some of Floyd's personal issues affected him leading into the fight. He & his girlfriend broke up, she apparently starts dating Nelly, and aborts the twins she was pregnant with. That's tough for anyone. Floyd didn't have great body language from the jump and I'm not sure if that was because Maidana pounced on him in the first round, or if Floyd just wasn't feeling it. Definitely wasn't the same guy that picked apart Canelo.

37. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Floyd is on a 2 fight a year schedule. He fights in May and September. Amir wouldn't be able to take that next fight because of Ramadan which would begin on June 28th and end on July 28th this year. He would be fasting during the day over that period. The rematch is the best option to me as of right now. Unless he feels that one of the youngsters like Thurman or Porter might appeal to the public. Just can't see how a fight with with either of them would generate more interest than a Maidana rematch though. Danny Garcia might also be an option...

38. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Good stuff ebozz I was not aware of that with Kahn. If they sign a rematch I will watch it again. :up:

39. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

I'm not saying the problem would be Manny. He would take the fight. It would be the biggest payday he's ever had and he needs the money to fix his tax issues. I just think that the Bob Arum relationship would complicate things. Floyd has said that he would never do business with Arum again. The other thing is that Arum really seems to be pushing for Pacquiao vs. Marquez 5. I don't want to see that. Not even on a stream like I just viewed the fight this evening.

No, he wasn't the same. Got to give credit to Marcos though. He brought it.

40. ebozzz

ebozzz Starter Donator

Fight night. Anyone watching?