• Montana

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Unitas

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

New England Fin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
With Dan's induction into the HOF coming up, the debate has again surfaced - Who is the best QB in NFL history? Is a QB's greatness determined by how he personally performs on the field or is it determined by the success of his team? I would like to hear the honest opinions of others on this subject, but I firmly believe that Marino was the best ever. Great PLAYERS do great things on the field. Great TEAMS win championships. Marino was a great player who was never fortunate enought to play on a great team.

No go to Tillamook Oregon and ask them who makes the best cheese.

Kraft
Best Western
Tillimook
Wisconsin

New England Fin said:
With Dan's induction into the HOF coming up, the debate has again surfaced - Who is the best QB in NFL history? Is a QB's greatness determined by how he personally performs on the field or is it determined by the success of his team? I would like to hear the honest opinions of others on this subject, but I firmly believe that Marino was the best ever. Great PLAYERS do great things on the field. Great TEAMS win championships. Marino was a great player who was never fortunate enought to play on a great team.
Marino was without question the greatest QB to ever play the game. Even Bill Parcells will tell you that Dan Marino is the only quarterback to ever lead his team to the Super Bowl with no running game AND no defense whatsoever.

Most certainly Marino, while Montana, Young, Brady etc. may have rings, they also had amazing supporting casts. Dan on the other hand, was instrumental in producing a consistent winner in Miami for seventeen seasons, without the help of a reliable running game or dominant defense. The best thing about Marino was he was able to win even when the supporting cast was sub-par.

Bar none Dan is the greatest passer to ever strap on shoulder pads. You can't argue with that. Not only did he break all the records, but he didn't do them like Payton or Emmit broke the rushing record, he did it the fastest, and far surpassed what ever came before him.

Best QB ever that is a bigger question. It is a team sport, so the how the team did, and personal stats both have to come in to play. First off throw Elway out of the conversation. His stats are very average he had almost as many losing seasons as he did winning. When he finally broke over to the winning side of a super bowl he was about the 4th or 5th best player on his team. Unitas you have to look at with a great deal of respect. He changed a game almost singlehandedly. In a time of grind it out, run 75% of the time he showed the world you can do it just as well airing it out. Montana is hard to not say he is the best. He was a real life Rudy. He probably shouldn't of been allowed to be a towell boy, but he turned the game over on its' ear. I look at Marino in the same regaurd. All every one will ever look at is he didn't win the big one. I look at 17 years that should have been filled with 5-11 seasons at best, but instead we had 15 years of 8-8 or better. One of those he was on the IR. If Montana would have finished one year at 2-14 or even 5-11 there would have been a fire sale at the end of the season. It was pre salary cap era, and San Fran had a lot of talent. He made those teams overachieve by 2-3 games almost every year, but Dan did atleast that as well. The differince is Dan took a 5-11 team to a lot of 10 win season while Joe took a 10-6 team to a 12-4 or 13-3 team. That isn't subjective look at what the hall of fame will do. Joe will have at least 10-15 players that played with him in Canton. I will surprised to see any Dolphins that played in Dan's prime any where near Canton. Maybee Duper or Clayton but I don't think it will happen.

Champion said:
Marino was without question the greatest QB to ever play the game. Even Bill Parcells will tell you that Dan Marino is the only quarterback to ever lead his team to the Super Bowl with no running game AND no defense whatsoever.

Just Curious, do you have that quoted, or know where that quote can be found?

Champion said:
that 84 team finished 7th defensively...i don't buy it.

1984 Miami Dolphins: 1st in O, 7th in D, 1892 total rushing yards
2001 New England Patriots: 6th in O, 6th in D, 1593 total rushing yards
2003 New england Patriots: 17th in O, 7th in D, 1510 total rushing yards

well, New England has already proved Billy boy wrong twice

Look, Marino in his prime had no running game and no defense, everything the current team does have. Place Marino on SF in 1983 and watch the rings he would have collected. Place him on Buffalo during their four Superbowl run and they don't go 0-4.

Put simply, in his prime, he was the greatest passer the game has ever seen.

Dajesus said:
Bar none Dan is the greatest passer to ever strap on shoulder pads. You can't argue with that. Not only did he break all the records, but he didn't do them like Payton or Emmit broke the rushing record, he did it the fastest, and far surpassed what ever came before him.

Best QB ever that is a bigger question. It is a team sport, so the how the team did, and personal stats both have to come in to play. First off throw Elway out of the conversation. His stats are very average he had almost as many losing seasons as he did winning. When he finally broke over to the winning side of a super bowl he was about the 4th or 5th best player on his team. Unitas you have to look at with a great deal of respect. He changed a game almost singlehandedly. In a time of grind it out, run 75% of the time he showed the world you can do it just as well airing it out. Montana is hard to not say he is the best. He was a real life Rudy. He probably shouldn't of been allowed to be a towell boy, but he turned the game over on its' ear. I look at Marino in the same regaurd. All every one will ever look at is he didn't win the big one. I look at 17 years that should have been filled with 5-11 seasons at best, but instead we had 15 years of 8-8 or better. One of those he was on the IR. If Montana would have finished one year at 2-14 or even 5-11 there would have been a fire sale at the end of the season. It was pre salary cap era, and San Fran had a lot of talent. He made those teams overachieve by 2-3 games almost every year, but Dan did atleast that as well. The differince is Dan took a 5-11 team to a lot of 10 win season while Joe took a 10-6 team to a 12-4 or 13-3 team. That isn't subjective look at what the hall of fame will do. Joe will have at least 10-15 players that played with him in Canton. I will surprised to see any Dolphins that played in Dan's prime any where near Canton. Maybee Duper or Clayton but I don't think it will happen.
Dwight Stepenson but thats about it, of course he's already there.

Montana had a great supporting cast, he simply ran the engine like Griese did here.

BlueFin said:
Look, Marino in his prime had no running game and no defense, everything the current team does have. Place Marino on SF in 1983 and watch the rings he would have collected. Place him on Buffalo during their four Superbowl run and they don't go 0-4.

Put simply, in his prime, he was the greatest passer the game has ever seen.
"Place him on Buffalo during their four Superbowl run and they don't go 0-4"
Sorry, but that is just mind-boggling. That Redskin team and those Cowboys teams weren't gonna be beat by ANYBODY those years, they were too damn good. Marino wouldn't have been anymore effective against the Giants. It was GREAT ball control and timely 3rd and long passes that were the difference in that game. Bills Time of Possession for the game was only 19 minutes...and they scored 19 points. Offense wasnt the problem.

"Look, Marino in his prime had no running game and no defense"--true, but in 84(his only trip to the superbowl) he had a good amount of both.

Marino has always been my favorite QB but I don't think you can say that any one player is undoubetdly the greatest. I'd say that Dan was probably the best ever 'pure-passer' but it's hard to say that he's the best ever all-around QB. Still, I agree with the point that he could have won a couple SB's if he'd had a better supporting cast during his reign.

hey CC I think you missed what Champion was saying, other than that '84 season, Marino played on a lot of Dolphin teams in the late 1980s that were all passing offense, with a lame running game and porous defense...that playoff drought between 1986 and 1989, could have been a lot worse without Marino.

Exhibit 1----> 1986- Top Rusher: Lorenzo Hampton 830 yards
Defense: Number 26 of 28 in the NFL 430 points allowed
(8-8)
1987- Top Rusher: Troy Stratford 619 yards
Defense: 16 of 28 in the NFL 335 points allowed
(8-7)
1988- Top Rusher: Lorenzo Hampton 414 yards!
Defense: 24 of 28 in the NFL 380 points allowed
(6-10)
1989- Top Rusher: Sammie Smith 659 yards
Defense: 22 of 28 in the NFL 379 points allowed
(8-8)

As I said things could have been much worse without Dan.

CirclingWagons said:
that 84 team finished 7th defensively...i don't buy it.

1984 Miami Dolphins: 1st in O, 7th in D, 1892 total rushing yards
2001 New England Patriots: 6th in O, 6th in D, 1593 total rushing yards
2003 New england Patriots: 17th in O, 7th in D, 1510 total rushing yards

well, New England has already proved Billy boy wrong twice

the defense in 84 was ranked 19, (7 in points allowed). this doesn´t mean the D was any good (it wasn´t too bad though). in 2002 the colts D was ranked 8 . . see what happened in playoffs. last year, Philadelphia´s D was ranked 7th, don´t tell me it was a good defense. statistics can be misleading sometimes.

Marino´s passing threat made the running game better than it actually was (it was ranked 16 anyway)

phatmatt said:
Marino has always been my favorite QB but I don't think you can say that any one player is undoubetdly the greatest. I'd say that Dan was probably the best ever 'pure-passer' but it's hard to say that he's the best ever all-around QB. Still, I agree with the point that he could have won a couple SB's if he'd had a better supporting cast during his reign.

Why do people divide the QB position into two different areas? Best all around QB and best pure passer? Makes no sense. QBs are not measured on how well they make handoffs. They are measured on passing. They are measured on leadership. They are measured on the ability to fire up the troops at crunch time. Marino was a fiery leader and could make a sub par unit believe they could win when they were down by 14 with 3 minutes left. Was Marino the best passer ever? No question. And he did when the other team KNEW that's what was coming. Every team Marino faced knew the game plan and the still could not stop him. These other QBs: Montana, Elway,etc.- they had much more balance and a far better supporting cast. Marino did much more with way less.
Marino never won a Super Bowl. So. Neither did the other 52 guys on the roster for his 17 seasons. Marino took supbar teams to much higher levels than any other QB mentioned could have dreamed.
Montana, Young, Grbac, Garcia...what do they all have in common? They all looked like HOFers in the west coast system. Put anyone of them in the system Marino was in and they would have failed miserably. And we know what Elway could do without Terrell Davis: NOTHING.
Marino was in a class by himself. No other QB could take a mediocre or less team as far as Marino did and make them believe in themselves. Marino was the greatest and he brought the best out of the people around him.

BlueFin said:
Montana had a great supporting cast, he simply ran the engine like Griese did here.
You gotta be kidding right? I love Bob, but no way can you say Montana was like him, and just ran the engine. Montana put up huge SB numbers in every one of their 4 wins, remember the 5 TD passes in the Denver 55-10 rout? Joe was the most important player on those 49er teams, Griese was not.
As for Dan, gee it`s no surprise he got the most votes on this poll. He`ll always be my favorite player of all-time. Was he the best pure passer of all-time? Easily. Best QB of all-time? As much as I`d like to say yes, he`s not. He never won a SB, and that`s the true measure of greatness. Flame away people!

Back
Top Bottom