Mariota: Everything's There But the Fire? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mariota: Everything's There But the Fire?

LouPhinFan

It's ok to say "I don't know".
Club Member
Reaction score
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/17/marcus-mariota-2015-nfl-draft-potential/

Marcus Mariota looks as if he’s been designed by a franchise-quarterback computer program. Oregon’s redshirt junior is 6-4 and 219 pounds, runs a sub-4.5 40 and has all the other measurables any NFL team would want, from arm strength to elusiveness to a remarkably quick mind.

He also has a bulletproof work ethic and a desire to be great. Raised in Honolulu, he’s kind and humble and soft-spoken and has never been linked to any sort of off-the-field trouble. At the VIP entrance to a Las Vegas club, he’d more likely hold the door open for someone than use it himself.

After his 318-yard, three-touchdown, come-from-behind- performance in a 46–27 win over a rugged Michigan State squad on Sept. 6, Mariota is the odds-on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL draft, if he leaves school early. (He’ll graduate with a general science degree in December.) But as they do with any prospect, teams will find something to pick apart, and Mariota raises two questions in particular: Can he flourish outside the Ducks’ quarterback-friendly system? And is he . . . too nice? I watched Mariota’s performance at Michigan State—which might be the toughest defense he faces this season—to gauge his NFL potential.

I think there's some good points in this write up about Mariota transitioning to a more pro-style offense. The physical and mental gifts are there. Perhaps the leadership is a concern, perhaps its not but if I had a top 5 pick, I'd rather take my shot with him than with Winston I think. Maybe he doesn't pan out or maybe he does but Winston's immaturity and off the field stuff would scare the hell out of me if I were a GM.

would i put it past chip kelly making a serious all in push to get up in position to draft mariota??? no i would not...in fact i kinda expect him to try...that seems like the kind of system that qb needs to play in and i know he'd like to upgrade the athlete aspect of the position

would i put it past chip kelly making a serious all in push to get up in position to draft mariota??? no i would not...in fact i kinda expect him to try...that seems like the kind of system that qb needs to play in and i know he'd like to upgrade the athlete aspect of the position

You know I was thinking that same thing half way through the article. The problem they're going to have is getting into position to do that. I think they're going to be well above .500, especially with playing in that division. They should win that division even with their terrible defense and be a playoff team, wildcard at the very least. Looking at their non-division sched, I can see them winning 10 games easily.

You know I was thinking that same thing half way through the article. The problem they're going to have is getting into position to do that. I think they're going to be well above .500, especially with playing in that division. They should win that division even with their terrible defense and be a playoff team, wildcard at the very least. Looking at their non-division sched, I can see them winning 10 games easily.

yeah that teams picking in the 20's easily...although if they lost mychal kendricks it's a big deal

Philly could move Foles and use that ammo to move up perhaps….if thats something they would want to do.

He can play college ball and make throws to WRs who are 10 yards wide open. Big deal.

He is not an NFL QB.

He can play college ball and make throws to WRs who are 10 yards wide open. Big deal.

He is not an NFL QB.

Eh. He can do a few more things than that. Apparently you didn't read the article, but I'm not surprised. I knew you'd be in this thread with you single sentence "bust" comments.

Very few guys come into the league as NFL QBs. That doesn't mean he can't become one.

He is not an NFL QB.

Good news then, because the Eagles offense often manages to get WRs 10 yards wide open.

More efficient Kapernick. He's helped by the system, but so is every spread college quarterback.

I'm not sure about Mariota at this stage. I really liked him initially and thought Oregon was a year late moving him to starter. Late last season I began to sour on him. Given Oregon's 2014 schedule I knew he'd recover his reputation if he decided to stay, which he wisely did.

As always, there's an annoying usage of the term odds-on favorite. That term is thrown around with no concept of what it means. Odds-on describes favoritism so heavy it's beyond all other possibilities combined. In other words, greater than 50%. Is Mariota really above 50% right now to be the first player picked? I'd take no and take my chances. Lots of variables can get in the way.

Joe Montana was a pretty nice guy....he didn't have the rah rah fire that Marino had and rarely got in a receiver's face, but sometimes being cool and focused under pressure beats "having the fire."

Back
Top Bottom