Martin fills a big need but ...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Martin fills a big need but ......

Funny people are saying we passed on Hill for Martin who has questions about him. Do you think Hill fell all the way to the Jets because he was a sure bet to be Calvin Johnson? No. There are plenty of questions about Hill as well. Are his routes solid? Can he run more than just a 9 route with his 4.3 speed? Can he translate his game from GT to the NFL? Can he solve his drop problems?

I personally like the Martin pick, but also would have liked the Hill pick. However, let's not pretend like both don't have questions. I like the depth at WR more than I like the depth at OT, so I'm happy that we went OT at 2, and the Dolphins can get a number of various WRs at the picks in the third round.

Curry and Hill were still there. Now the stinking Jets are getting Hill. I like the OL we are forming but we need playmakers badly. Hopefully we will focus on them the rest of the draft.
one thing to focus on when it comes to the draft, value always trumps need

This was not only a good value pick but a pick necessitated by what our competitors in the AFC East have done through free agency and the draft. Each one has strengthened their defense, most notably their pass rush. Pats took two great defenders last night. Buf added Mario Williams, one of the best defensive linemen in the league. And the stinkin Jets who already have a great defense added Couples who was thought to be a top 10 pick. Not often I feel this way but I believe that Ireland made a solid selection here. Lots of WR's left on the board who can be starters for us. There wont be a solid OT in the third round with Martin's pedigree and potential.

can he sack the qb? can he catch touchdown passes? curry, randle, and alshon jeffery were all there, martin is a bad pick im sorry, this front office will never learn!
You don't need to be sorry for being wrong

If everyone was sold on Hill, why did he go completely unnoticed throughout the season and only become "elite" at the combine? He's an incredible physical specimen but raw. Even the Rams, who are in DESPERATE need for a big play WR for Bradford took Brian Quick....a guy who was rated in the 3rd-4th by most. The fact that Hill slid and Randle is still on the board tells me that this year with the depth at WR in this draft the NFL guys aren't valuing the position as highly as others.

This team has many holes....WR, OL, Pass Rush, S, QB. We can't solve every one in 2 rounds. But you NEED to stay true to your board.

EXACTLY!!!!!
This is sickening. Stephen Hill was still on the board, there's a reason the Jets traded up in the 2nd to get him right after our pick.
We have been "working on our Oline for 5+ years, esp with Oline "Guru" Sporano.
Looks like we're still "working on it."
I agree the right side needs work but so does our offense. You wonder why we average freaking 14 pts a game. because lineman dont put points on the board. But 6'5 220lbs WR that run a 4.30 forty can score for you.
We may have solidified our right side a little bit, but we also missed out on a STUD in Stephen Hill. And it will be our corner backs who will be suffering the repercussions, twice a year, for years to come.

1- Hill is years from helping the Jets. He's the definition of raw
2- You need to read up on the WCO

Obviously the coaching staff weren't sold on Murtha/Jerry filling in adequately at RT.

Correct. Joe Philbin is not a bluffer. He got a subtle sense of humor. He's not a BS artist, or petrified of the media. It may take a while for our fan base to get accustomed to that...someone who says what they mean.

Last night I posted that offensive line was sensible for the second round, since Philbin had emphasized two months ago that the quarterbacks here had failed largely because the guys in front of them weren't competent. It's his area of expertise and no way he's going to settle for a sloppy body like John Jerry or a borderline -- at best -- talent like Lyndon Murtha, who is almost 27 years old and has barely played in the NFL. Dolphin fans have spent too much time watching late season meaningless games and getting carried away with linemen who were less inadequate than they anticipated in those throwaway games. That hardly equates to starting material.

Martin looked like a RT prospect to me, even if it might take a year to bulk up. Oregon made him look bad two years in a row and Nick Perry was too much for him. Even David Shaw didn't gush over Martin's NFL potential at LT a few days ago. He was on one of those draft preview programs on ESPN and was asked about Martin. Instead of typical coach-speak, "he'll be great...," Shaw gave an honest appraisal, that he might not be athletic enough on the left side.

I always like Pac 12 linemen, a conference with excellent run/pass balance. Besides, Stanford has an up and coming program with smart dedicated guys. They'll compete at the next level to uphold not only themselves but the growing reputation of the program. Keep in mind that Stanford is not merely DeCastro and Martin and put a plug on it. They stole several of the top rated 5 star offensive linemen two months ago in the recruiting process, taking them away from USC. Something good is happening there and we got an early jump on it.

i am so tired of this team passing on good players who were real good at their positions for players with questions in their game or just plane over rated like martin.

he is rated as hi as he was because of the great qb he had in front of him as well as all of the other stanford playmakers who kept the score board lit up. this happens, just see the colts o-line. when peyton was there, guys were pro bowl on the line. or highly rated. peyton gone, instant bums!!

vinny curry was a MUCH better selection, a bigger need and probably the last real pass rusher at DE left in the draft.

what are we going to do for a wr? we had hill in our hands, a guy as big and physical as marshall with much better speed. we pass and the jets trade 4 pics to jump up with a HUGE smile on their collective faces. hill is a much better wr than martin is a tackle.

and watching our division rivals wiping the floor with us draft wise is making it hurt that much more. the pats safety choice was a head scrather, but you know bill knows something we all dont and he will be flattening our te's for years to come.

just another wrong player at the wrong time.

but, i did say all along that when miami did decide to to take a tackle it would be someone who could also play the left side as jake long will be gone after this year. they will force him in at rt tackle and use him for a fill in lt after jake leaves. martin got absolutely schooled by more than one quality DE/olb in college, more than he should have at his position and reputation.

oh well, even charles clay said its obvious we are rebuilding. maybe something happens and ireland actually does get fired after 2013 season.

gotta have SOMETHING to hope for.

Hill and Curry don't have question marks? News to me

another wrong player at the wrong time.

martin has good feet but he isnt good at getting out and getting on blocks like you need to be in a zone scheme. for the life of me i am trying to figure out why they made this selection. he plays lt and i said all along that when the finz decided to take an o-t, it would be a guy who has played on the left because jake will be gone after the season. they will force him in on the rt side and then hope they can use him at lt after jake leaves next year.

martin had a lot of problems with the good de's and olb pass rushers getting over on him. he is not a strong guy at all. he is a good dancer, has a mean streak, but that is pretty limited stuff.

we needed a pass rusher much more than an iffy o/t. vinnie curry is a pass rushing DE and good run stuffer that we need in the worst way and they take a iffy tackle instead. wrong player, wrong time!!

we dont have any dominant wr. so there is hill staring us in the face. just as physical as marshall and MUCH faster. we take an iffy tackle instead. mean while our most hated division rival trades 4 pics to move up and grab him not believing that miami passed on him.

our division rivals are schooling us in this draft. it makes it so much worse. we dont have a pass rush or any safetys and only one lb who can half arse cover a TE and now we have hill in our division along side of the pats TE nightmare. the jets TE is no slouch either and gives us fits. and, we have ONE cb worth a damn, so what are we going to do to stop our oponents?

this was just a silly pic. there are a lot of o-t's in this draft, many not to much different talent wise and we should have waited on a o-t, not a pass rusher, safety or wr.

Martin is a first round talent. It was a very good pick.

Funny people are saying we passed on Hill for Martin who has questions about him. Do you think Hill fell all the way to the Jets because he was a sure bet to be Calvin Johnson? No. There are plenty of questions about Hill as well. Are his routes solid? Can he run more than just a 9 route with his 4.3 speed? Can he translate his game from GT to the NFL? Can he solve his drop problems?

I personally like the Martin pick, but also would have liked the Hill pick. However, let's not pretend like both don't have questions. I like the depth at WR more than I like the depth at OT, so I'm happy that we went OT at 2, and the Dolphins can get a number of various WRs at the picks in the third round.

Hahaha Georgia Tech throws the ball like 7 times a game, thanks to the tripple option. Small sample size, the guys a specimen.
Plus Martin will not put points on the board. Unlike Hill, who will be putting it on our secondary twice a year.

There we go, still working on "anchoring" the line 5 years and counting.

we can have both. martin is good pick. this is deep wr class. so chill down

Back
Top Bottom