"Matching corner-backs with team defensive philosophies" And the Miami picks! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Matching corner-backs with team defensive philosophies" And the Miami picks!

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Pat Kirwan and NFL Insider wrote an article called "Matching corner-backs with team defensive philosophies."

"Corner-backs can't be looked at as a group of athletes all playing the same position.

When I worked with Pete Carroll, he was interested in man-to-man cover corners that could succeed in "press" coverage.
He wanted men who could get up in the face of the wide receiver, jam him, force an outside release and run with a wide
out down the field mirroring the route. Quickness, speed and leaping ability were premiums with this sort of strategy.

Soon after that, I was looking at corners for Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick and they wanted big cover-2 zone corners who
funneled receivers to the safety and were solid run-support players. They liked big physical corners with savvy zone-drop
skills.

Sooner or later both defensive philosophies found themselves in nickel and dime packages and the need for a "slot" corner
that could blitz or handle slot receivers like Wes Welker."

His three categories for CB are:

The top all-around corners: Dee Milliner, Xavier Rhodes and Des Trufant.

Top man corners:
Johnthan Banks, Darius Slay, Robert Alford, Tharold Simon and Will Davis.

Top cover-2 zone corners: David Amerson, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Dwayne Gratz and Logan Ryan.

And slot nickel players: Tyrann Mathieu, Jamar Taylor, Leon McFadden, and Jordan Poyer.

The Miami CB's are two of the top ones in their respective categories according to Mr Kirwan!!!

So even though Will Davis did not make Mike's top 100 he is rated as one of the top slot CB!
Just what is need to attack Tom Brady's favorite routes!!!

But they suck and will be cut in training camp. I learned that tonight from a YouTube clip. ;)

or I learned that from the senior bowl 2 months ago when Davis was repeatedly abused..... love the Taylor pick

Doesn't Coyle want to play more zone? From what I understand Grimes and Taylor are scheme versatile, but Davis is more of a press man corner

i would imagine Kevin Coyle and Coach Philbin signed off on both of the corners. i'll give them the benefit of doubt until they prove otherwise.

don't you mean "film"

Haha this x100.

Like previous posters have mentioned before, it's all about preference and value. Both of the selections could have been rated fairly highly on the draft board for the middle rounds. I do think that Armstead was Miami's pick before that point, and that Miami took the next best offensive lineman on their board. Happens all of the time in the draft, and it's called adapting. Nobody's got a crystal ball. Even the best draft picks are educated guesses.

Have you forgotten that Kevin Coyle is good at developing defensive backs? Do you forget the expectation that Miami was going to take Lane Johnson or trade for Branden Albert, and some being happy because we needed help along the offensive line? Getting your panties in a bunch over a "cornfed" in the third round is useless. It's like looking at a painting that only has a few strokes on it.

I keep hearing Davis is man corner, any chance he was misused at Utah State. We are all aware of players not being used correctly. At the Senior bowl was he used where he was comfortable? Just curious, some guys are just built to play certain systems. Not all coaches can see that. Look at Asante Samuel, great off man corner, likes to read the eyes of QB, when he usually gets beat is when they have called some man to man which he isn't as great at. Just a thought. Hoping for the best, he seemed to test well in the 3 cone and had alright speed. Other thing, could he be a FS.

So even though Will Davis did not make Mike's top 100 he is rated as one of the top slot CB!
Just what is need to attack Tom Brady's favorite routes!!![/QUOTE]

The way I see it in this article is that Kirwan has Jamar Taylor rated as the 2nd best slot nickel corner, and Will Davis as the 5th best man corner. I don't see where he says that Will Davis is one of the top slot CB.

Just what is need to attack Tom Brady's favorite routes!!!

The way I see it in this article is that Kirwan has Jamar Taylor rated as the 2nd best slot nickel corner, and Will Davis as the 5th best man corner. I don't see where he says that Will Davis is one of the top slot CB.[/QUOTE]

Go read the whole article.

Back
Top Bottom