Mayweather/UFC | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mayweather/UFC

Essentially yes. These MMA leagues are street fighting. What are the limitations? No crotch shots and eye gouging? They are essentially no rules street fighting matches. None of the MMA champs could be champion boxers, if they could do it they would. Theres more money in boxing and its far less dangerous. Mayweather would no even break a sweat in a boxing match with these guys.
I respect the fighters, they are highly trained athletes and as you noted, many are top notch in wrestling, martial arts, etc. However they fight in a no rules street fighting league so they are street fighters. I watch these fights all the time, I love em, but I dont kid myself, this is legalized street fighting with a small handful of rules. None of these guys could be boxers and make it and thats just the truth.

perhaps you've never seen an MMA competitoon or a street fight. the two have very little in common.

Wow, I disagree with almost everything in this post..

Again, it isnt street fighting, and it certainly is not "no rules"...Back in the early 90's what you are saying could have been argued, but ownership has changed hands, and fights are now sanctioned under athletic commissions...Here is a list of rules set by the Nevada State Athletic Commission...

1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
3. Biting.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

There is only more money in boxing if you are one of the top top guys, like a De La Hoya or a Mayweather type. And the fact remains that there are fewer and fewer of the top drawing boxers out there...Mid card boxers and mid card MMA fighters make about the same, but MMA fighters can fight a lot more often. There are fighters that make over 100k a fights, and fight 3 times a year. And that is in a young sport that continues to grow...

As far as MMA being more dangerous, there has never been a documented death due to an MMA fight, but several from boxing. Also you don't see former MMA fighters with mashed brains who cant form complete sentences like you do in boxing. Usually a fight gets stopped way before any serious damage can be done, and they generally get stopped earlier than a boxing match does. Getting hit in the head happens a lot less, an that alone makes the sport safer...

Again, many rules not few, and as far as them couldn't cut it in boxing, you are probably right but its apples to oranges as far as I'm concerned, they are different sports...Its like saying Michael Jordan couldn't step on a diamond and become an all star baseball player...

you forgot to mention how many thousands of times less corrupt MMA is. boxing, as it stands now, is aweful...

Wow, I disagree with almost everything in this post..

Again, it isnt street fighting, and it certainly is not "no rules"...Back in the early 90's what you are saying could have been argued, but ownership has changed hands, and fights are now sanctioned under athletic commissions...Here is a list of rules set by the Nevada State Athletic Commission...

1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
3. Biting.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

Cmon most of those are pretty weak. I watch MMA, the rules are fairly loose and its very close to street fighting. This isnt coming from someone that hates the sport, i love it but lets not get silly, its billed as and is fairly no holds barred, very few rules fighting.

There is only more money in boxing if you are one of the top top guys, like a De La Hoya or a Mayweather type. And the fact remains that there are fewer and fewer of the top drawing boxers out there...Mid card boxers and mid card MMA fighters make about the same, but MMA fighters can fight a lot more often. There are fighters that make over 100k a fights, and fight 3 times a year. And that is in a young sport that continues to grow...

Yea, and the thread is about Mayweather. No one in his class would even consider MMA because the money isnt even comparable. IF the MMA champs could be boxing champs they would do it, the money is still much greater in boxing--and you have to fight less.

As far as MMA being more dangerous, there has never been a documented death due to an MMA fight, but several from boxing. Also you don't see former MMA fighters with mashed brains who cant form complete sentences like you do in boxing. Usually a fight gets stopped way before any serious damage can be done, and they generally get stopped earlier than a boxing match does. Getting hit in the head happens a lot less, an that alone makes the sport safer...

Another wise great post gets lost in this point. The sport hasnt been around anywhere NEAR as long as boxing to make such a statement. I watch MMA the guys get hurt, and hurt BAD all the time. We will see in 20 years how many are comotose, my guess would be a lot. They dont take the head punishment but dislocated shoulders, broken bones, etc are very common, the guys get hurt all the time. They are fairly good at stopping fights but to say the sport is less dangerous is just unfounded.

Again, many rules not few, and as far as them couldn't cut it in boxing, you are probably right but its apples to oranges as far as I'm concerned, they are different sports...Its like saying Michael Jordan couldn't step on a diamond and become an all star baseball player...
I agree about the apples and oranges, and as Ive said before Im a fan of MMA. Great post from you appreciate the response.

:D

Back
Top Bottom