Mayweather/UFC | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mayweather/UFC

You know I was thinking about this not sure how MMA does it but I know judo and ju jitsu use wider stances to make their base better so they are harder to take down. Boxers use a tight stance so not to give a target. I think the fight outcome would depend on who could just strike first.

Yeah it'd be almost impossible to say without actually seeing but I think Sherk's takedowns would be the major factor. It would be very hard for Mayweather to defend that. Obviously he has the KO power though so who knows.

Yeah it'd be almost impossible to say without actually seeing but I think Sherk's takedowns would be the major factor. It would be very hard for Mayweather to defend that. Obviously he has the KO power though so who knows.
The thing I actually question, is does Mayweather have KO power...He seems to be more of a technical boxer who usually wins by scoring a lot of punches..I admit I'm not a big boxing fan, so I could be way off base here...

The thing I actually question, is does Mayweather have KO power...He seems to be more of a technical boxer who usually wins by scoring a lot of punches..I admit I'm not a big boxing fan, so I could be way off base here...
Well heres the thing. While he might in boxing not be considered powerful, in terms of other fighters how much more powerful is a punch from a boxer? i would have to say in terms of fighting boxing they teach punch through the target where as in martial arts it may not be emphasized as much. He is very technical, intelligent and quick. Can he get a ko? well he has :

Total fights38Wins38Wins by KO24Losses0

You ask me thats a hell of a record :D In my personnel opiniong what makes mayweather so deadly though is he has enough of everything to where you can not train just for his power, or to beat him technically, or for speed. JMO.

Again, your missing the whole point of this story. This whole thing came about because Mayweather was running his mouth about UFC fighters, saying it was nothing more than a fad and they were just street fighters that couldn't cut it in boxing. He brought this on himself. The whole "How about a UFC fighter in a boxing match" view on it is a moot point because thats not what started this whole story.

This essentially is true. None of the the UFC fighters could win against top boxing competition in a boxing match. Mayweather said this because its true. But again its like a basketball player saying he could beat a football player at basketball, its true but they are different sports. UFC fighting isnt close to boxing. The fights are way shorter and none of these guys could go 10 rounds boxing against top competition. I just think the fans acting as though Mayweather was just shooting off at the mouth miss the point that he is actually correct in what he said.

This essentially is true. None of the the UFC fighters could win against top boxing competition in a boxing match. Mayweather said this because its true. But again its like a basketball player saying he could beat a football player at basketball, its true but they are different sports. UFC fighting isnt close to boxing. The fights are way shorter and none of these guys could go 10 rounds boxing against top competition. I just think the fans acting as though Mayweather was just shooting off at the mouth miss the point that he is actually correct in what he said.

This post proves you know nothing about MMA.

Most MMA fighters are actually wrestlers or Jiu Jitsu fighters first and foremost....Most have trained for years in their respective martial(most usually Jiu Jitsu), or are college wrestlers, before they ever start fighting MMA...They aren't street fighters, and they certainly aren't boxers who couldn't cut it in boxing...

MMA fighters are usually black belt martial artists or champion caliber wrestlers who have learned striking abilities to help develop a complete, and diverse fighting style...Its a legitimate sport with top notch athletes who train as hard or harder than athletes from any other sport...

Olympic medalists such as Matt Lindland, Hidehiko Yoshida, Karam Ibrahim, and Rulon Gardner have competed in the sport, would you label them as "street fighters, who couldn't cut it in boxing"?

Most MMA fighters are actually wrestlers or Jiu Jitsu fighters first and foremost....Most have trained for years in their respective martial(most usually Jiu Jitsu), or are college wrestlers, before they ever start fighting MMA...They aren't street fighters, and they certainly aren't boxers who couldn't cut it in boxing...

MMA fighters are usually black belt martial artists or champion caliber wrestlers who have learned striking abilities to help develop a complete, and diverse fighting style...Its a legitimate sport with top notch athletes who train as hard or harder than athletes from any other sport...

Olympic medalists such as Matt Lindland, Hidehiko Yoshida, Karam Ibrahim, and Rulon Gardner have competed in the sport, would you label them as "street fighters, who couldn't cut it in boxing"?

Essentially yes. These MMA leagues are street fighting. What are the limitations? No crotch shots and eye gouging? They are essentially no rules street fighting matches. None of the MMA champs could be champion boxers, if they could do it they would. Theres more money in boxing and its far less dangerous. Mayweather would no even break a sweat in a boxing match with these guys.
I respect the fighters, they are highly trained athletes and as you noted, many are top notch in wrestling, martial arts, etc. However they fight in a no rules street fighting league so they are street fighters. I watch these fights all the time, I love em, but I dont kid myself, this is legalized street fighting with a small handful of rules. None of these guys could be boxers and make it and thats just the truth.

Not taking anything away from UFC but watching K1 fighting I have noticed more technique then there seems to be in UFC. But then again UFC seems to be more built for speed and power. As for the jiu jitsu I believe most of the grappling is from brazilian jiu jitsu, and not from the original jiu jitsu again at least from what I have seen.

Essentially yes. These MMA leagues are street fighting. What are the limitations? No crotch shots and eye gouging? They are essentially no rules street fighting matches. None of the MMA champs could be champion boxers, if they could do it they would. Theres more money in boxing and its far less dangerous. Mayweather would no even break a sweat in a boxing match with these guys.
I respect the fighters, they are highly trained athletes and as you noted, many are top notch in wrestling, martial arts, etc. However they fight in a no rules street fighting league so they are street fighters. I watch these fights all the time, I love em, but I dont kid myself, this is legalized street fighting with a small handful of rules. None of these guys could be boxers and make it and thats just the truth.
I wouldn't say none look at mayorga pure brawler but is succesful or was succesful in boxing. :lol: Aww good ol mayorga.

Wow, I disagree with almost everything in this post..

Essentially yes. These MMA leagues are street fighting. What are the limitations? No crotch shots and eye gouging? They are essentially no rules street fighting matches.
Again, it isnt street fighting, and it certainly is not "no rules"...Back in the early 90's what you are saying could have been argued, but ownership has changed hands, and fights are now sanctioned under athletic commissions...Here is a list of rules set by the Nevada State Athletic Commission...

1. Butting with the head.
2. Eye gouging of any kind.
3. Biting.
4. Hair pulling.
5. Fish hooking.
6. Groin attacks of any kind.
7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
8. Small joint manipulation.
9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
13. Grabbing the clavicle.
14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
21. Spitting at an opponent.
22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
30. Interference by the corner.
31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

None of the MMA champs could be champion boxers, if they could do it they would. Theres more money in boxing and its far less dangerous. Mayweather would no even break a sweat in a boxing match with these guys.
There is only more money in boxing if you are one of the top top guys, like a De La Hoya or a Mayweather type. And the fact remains that there are fewer and fewer of the top drawing boxers out there...Mid card boxers and mid card MMA fighters make about the same, but MMA fighters can fight a lot more often. There are fighters that make over 100k a fights, and fight 3 times a year. And that is in a young sport that continues to grow...

As far as MMA being more dangerous, there has never been a documented death due to an MMA fight, but several from boxing. Also you don't see former MMA fighters with mashed brains who cant form complete sentences like you do in boxing. Usually a fight gets stopped way before any serious damage can be done, and they generally get stopped earlier than a boxing match does. Getting hit in the head happens a lot less, an that alone makes the sport safer...

Again, many rules not few, and as far as them couldn't cut it in boxing, you are probably right but its apples to oranges as far as I'm concerned, they are different sports...Its like saying Michael Jordan couldn't step on a diamond and become an all star baseball player...

Not taking anything away from UFC but watching K1 fighting I have noticed more technique then there seems to be in UFC. But then again UFC seems to be more built for speed and power. As for the jiu jitsu I believe most of the grappling is from brazilian jiu jitsu, and not from the original jiu jitsu again at least from what I have seen.
Which K1, there are 2 "groups" of k1 fighters. The first is kickboxing and the 2nd hasn't been around as long, but they are MMA...If you are talking about the K1 Heroes (MMA), then I'm not sure hat makes you think they have more technique since its basically just the minor leagues...Almost all of the top notch guys from Heroes end up in UFC or Pride at some point...

And yeah, I was talking about Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, I just didn't feel like typing out Braziliian...

Which K1, there are 2 "groups" of k1 fighters. The first is kickboxing and the 2nd hasn't been around as long, but they are MMA...If you are talking about the K1 Heroes (MMA), then I'm not sure hat makes you think they have more technique since its basically just the minor leagues...Almost all of the top notch guys from Heroes end up in UFC or Pride at some point...

And yeah, I was talking about Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, I just didn't feel like typing out Braziliian...

Dont know I just download clips off the net that I watched older clips. Just something I observed. Don't get angry.

Back
Top Bottom