McClain vs Spikes | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McClain vs Spikes

I can't help but come with away with liking Spikes more after watching all that film. It seemed like McClain would never get off the blocks, but he seemed like that linebacker that will always do what he has to do, but maybe not do more than that (turnovers, basically)

Spikes, however, showed more of a tenacious, hard-nosed attitude to me. He hits very hard, and takes on blocks with an attitude. When he wouldn't get to the ball carrier, he showed he could fight off the block and keep himself in the play, and possibly tackle the ballcarrier still. It seemed like in these situations McClain would be out of the play, and stay out of it.

I'm fine with either one of them though. And while I like Spikes more, I think McClain is more the kind of linebacker we need. One that actually does what he's supposed to do. I think Spikes is someone we'd take if we already had a linebacker that does the things McClain does.

Yeah, the way I see it is McClain is Mr. Insurance whereas Spikes is more of a Mr. Gung-ho. McClain will let his team mates make the plays while making sure his responsibility is not compromised. But if he gets caught out it seems like he just gives up and floats after the ball merely observing what happened. Spikes is more of a go-getter like a Channing Crowder with killer pass rush and 1st round talent. It looks like Spikes has a better motor and will pursue with more tenacity even though his angles aren't always good. But that can be coached.

I think Spikes has more to gain from coaching than McClain does. That's a compliment to both of them. The issue is really about how they would fit into the linebacking corps and what their identities would be if they were starting next to Channing. It's kind of funny because McClain and Spikes would be perfect teammates. They complement each other's style of play very well.

And there's also the possibility of bringing in Dansby and drafting someone like Dez Bryant or another player if all of these guys are off the board by then. As of now, there's still the ever-so-slight possibility of us making playoffs so you never know.

i look at it as spikes may make more big plays but he's also gonna give up an awful lot of them...

i trust mcclain to be where he's supposed to be and to stay true to his responsibilities whether it be vs the run or pass and i also trust mcclain in coverage more down the field and i think he has better instincts...

i see spikes as a loose cannon

and i think upside without a doubt goes to mcclain

Yeah, the way I see it is McClain is Mr. Insurance whereas Spikes is more of a Mr. Gung-ho. McClain will let his team mates make the plays while making sure his responsibility is not compromised. But if he gets caught out it seems like he just gives up and floats after the ball merely observing what happened. Spikes is more of a go-getter like a Channing Crowder with killer pass rush and 1st round talent. It looks like Spikes has a better motor and will pursue with more tenacity even though his angles aren't always good. But that can be coached.

I think Spikes has more to gain from coaching than McClain does. That's a compliment to both of them. The issue is really about how they would fit into the linebacking corps and what their identities would be if they were starting next to Channing. It's kind of funny because McClain and Spikes would be perfect teammates. They complement each other's style of play very well.

And there's also the possibility of bringing in Dansby and drafting someone like Dez Bryant or another player if all of these guys are off the board by then. As of now, there's still the ever-so-slight possibility of us making playoffs so you never know.

Yeah, I agree completely. Especially with the fact that they complement each other very well. That's why in my post above, I said I'd need a new set of pants if both of them somehow fell to us, in the 1st and 2nd round. We'd be SET at linebacker for 10+ years!

And yeah, but if the CBA agreement isn't reached, that pretty much eliminates any FA for us, right?

Back
Top Bottom