McClain vs Spikes | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McClain vs Spikes

I've been watching some tape on Austen Lane and he looks like a real potential gem.....mainly his game against FBS competition vs. N.C. State..

To me he looks like he could make the transition to strongside OLB in a 3-4.....a little raw in his pass rush moves (which I attribute to lack of having to develope pass rush moves due to level of competition) but he's got a very nice bull rush...

Gets very good depth on his drops in zone coverage....in fact...a few times he dropped clear out of the screen...so it was hard to tell exactly how assignment sound he was...but it was impressive to watch..

Any player that's 6-6, 260 and runs a 4.6 is going to get my attention....and his stats over the last 2 seasons speak for themselves (127 tackles....41.5 TFL's....23 sacks...and 5 forced fumbles)...and give a strong indication of a player with some talent...

He looks like a bulkier version of Jason Taylor to me....nice upside and good motor...

He's also in some pretty good company when it comes to being nominated for the Buck Buchanan Award...given to the nations most outstanding defensive player (Jared Allen, Rashean Mathis, Dexter Coakley, Ed Hartwell, Chris Gocong, etc.)..

I'd really be interested in seeing the cuts of Sheffield and Lang...

i went to the site yesterday...maybe i didn't go to the right places but i was looking for cutups on players and i couldn't find any...

but i only had a minute to browse

VERY lazy.

However, one thing they have in common aside from being from UF, being african american, and having dreads, is they're both unselfish players. They both do the dirty work that sets other people up to make the play.

then, why would you rather have a "disruptive" player like you call spikes that is pretty similar to what we have in channing, than having McClain, a player you know if the defence is schemed around him, he'll make a lot of plays and tackles for you ?

IMHO i'd much rather have a crowder-McClain combo than Crowder-Spikes ... and i'm just talking about the combo here, if we had another ILB than channing, playing differently, i might prefer the selection of Spikes...

slimm what's your thoughts on coleman???

I think he's the best pass rusher in the SEC along with Eric Norwood...

Although Coleman looks to be more of a 4-3 defensive end IMO....I think he's very reminiscent of Quentin Groves.....explosive off the ball and bends the arc well getting to the quarterback...

I'd love it if all these guys could project standing up....but that simply may not be the case....It'll be very interesting to watch a lot of these guys in LB drills...

Yes, you can expect a whole slew of cutups....available on Universal Draft. You'll have to keep checking in with UD to see the player reviews and the accompanying videos.

Right now those aren't up because I was saving them for a big writeup Boomer was going to do on Spikes and McClain. I cut those videos as a visual aid for that writeup so I didn't want to roll out with them before Boomer was ready.

Right now I've cut video on the following players...

DT Terrence Cody
DT Marvin Austin
DT Cam Thomas (was thinking of you when I did him up)
DT Brian Price
DE Dexter Davis
DE Antonio Coleman
DE Brandon Lang
DE Cameron Sheffield
DE C.J. Wilson
DE Willie Young
DE Austen Lane
DE Carlos Dunlap
DE Jermaine Cunningham
LB Brandon Spikes
LB Rolondo McClain
LB Reggie Carter
CB Alterraun Verner
CB Kareem Jackson
CB Javier Arenas
CB Joe Haden
FS Ahmad Black
FS Taylor Mays
FS Josh Pinkard
SS Major Wright
SS Justin Woodall
OT Charles Brown
OG Mike Johnson
OG Mike Pouncey
OC Markice Pouncey
TE Dennis Pitta
TE Jimmy Graham
TE Colin Peek
TE Aaron Hernandez
TE Anthony McCoy
RB Ben Tate
WR Riley Cooper
WR Damian Williams
WR Brandon LaFell
WR Taylor Price
WR Jeremy Williams
WR Chris McGaha

This is still very much at its bare infant stage, though. I don't necessarily have finished videos for all of these guys.

Do you take requests? From what I've seen of Micah Johnson - granted, it's been limited - I like him every bit as much as Spikes and McClain. McClain doesn't look like he enjoys tackling, and Spikes - maybe due to some of his injuries - looks a little slow. Johnson wraps up and punishes the ball carrier, and he has a suddenness that I find very impressive.

i am almost 100% sure we wont go for either one.
1) won't be in our reach/range.
2) someone can be had in the 2nd that most likely compares to them but same value can't be found in TE or NT or OLB.

Wow, I really respect your opinion CK and I will take a look at the cutups, but I think Rolando McClain is a head and shoulders better prospect based on what I have seen as a linebackers coach than Brandon Spikes. But again, let me take a look at the film. Film doesn't lie.

hey ck, can you put some cutups together on jermaine gresham soph and junior stuff like you did mcclain and spikes???

i'd like to see some of his stuff broken down like you did the mcclain spikes work

Wow, I really respect your opinion CK and I will take a look at the cutups, but I think Rolando McClain is a head and shoulders better prospect based on what I have seen as a linebackers coach than Brandon Spikes. But again, let me take a look at the film. Film doesn't lie.

If you scrutinize the YouTube videos, I'd love to know what you think, especially with respect to the handling blockers sections.

Hasn't Spikes been a bit injured in his college career? That would make me hesitant unless McClain has the same issue!

Hasn't Spikes been a bit injured in his college career? That would make me hesitant unless McClain has the same issue!

not until this year. he's had ticky tacky stuff all year long - nothing to be worried about though. none of it was substantial.

As a Gators fan, ya'll know its McClain and it really isn't even close.

But to everybody who is making the Spikes/Crowder comparisions, you really aren't even trying. I mean if you want to compare, be a little more original and go outside of the same school. Sorry, I just think you are taking the easy way. Spikes game is absolutely nothing like Crowder's.

McClain will be a very good MLB in the NFL, probably a Bart Scott kind of player.

Then he's not worth a top 20 pick.
I'm sorry, but Bart Scott does not impress me. He's had several games this season where he has been invisible. He was more impressive when offenses were focused on Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs.
If the Phins were to draft McClain I would hope he is a true impact player who makes everyone around him better, not a guy (like Scott) whose play improves when he plays alongside an impact player.

Back
Top Bottom