McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players?

Did I say anything about adjustments?

I don't have any clue where you get the impression "old school" means unwilling to adjust. Coordinators have been making adjustments for over a century. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.
Calmete my dude. Old school includes my way or the highway and I won't change for anything. That's what Vic was. Fine bro, I won't agree with you anymore... sheesh

I simply don't understand this talk about McDaniel should have known that our defensive players couldn't play the Fangio system. Seems like more off-season B/S intended to smear Mike McDaniel. The sort of thing that Mike Florio or Skip Bayless would invent to create some more drama. OK, matching Mike with Vic didn't work out, put it behind, learn from this and move forward. For a while the Defense appeared to be coming together and it was the loss of so many key players through injury (Jaelan Phillips, Bradley Chubb, Jerome Baker, Jevon Holland, etc) that seemed to impact the latter results.
I honestly don’t understand the narrative that Fangio failed. Our D was > than our O the second half of the season. Even held the Bills to 14 points the last game w half the starters signed out the parking lot in pregame. Played good enough beat KC too. I don’t get the smearing of McD or Vic. We had a top defense - even w all of the injuries.

Of course you don't! Lol. It's all good. Convos like this I like. Not the personal attack stuff.

But anyway, since when does the boss get absolved of his employees mistakes? The Titans game was the biggest tell for me. In that case, McDaniel should've seen that coming. I mean ****, we all seen it coming. Vic didn't adjust. McDaniel should have cut his Mike (if he told Vic to adjust and Vic refused) and forced the change. That's part of the problem with hiring coaches that have absolutely no experience, especially as a coordinator. Which we've been doing the past 4 coaches for Christ sakes!
lol, that’s not how it works. In coaching or business. That only happens at the Academy Awards when a speech is running over.

Calmete my dude. Old school includes my way or the highway and I won't change for anything. That's what Vic was. Fine bro, I won't agree with you anymore... sheesh
My mistake.

TBH, I thought you were actually projecting that upon McD. I believe that has been one of your complaints. I may be mistaken, however.

lol, that’s not how it works. In coaching or business. That only happens at the Academy Awards when a speech is running over.
Ok. So I know this is BSPN but, I will partially concede my point. But this article the coaches say they will adjust things in certain in game situations if/when they see something or in certain outcomes of plays. But generally they don't overrule play calls.

My mistake.

TBH, I thought you were actually projecting that upon McD. I believe that has been one of your complaints. I may be mistaken, however.
Oh heck no, McD is the furthest thing from old school we've ever had I think.

What is the merit of the claim it didn't work?

There were more QB pressures and sacks this year than I can remember in a long time. The run D was stout as well.

The D made improvements under Fangio, also the D wasn't terrible under Flores. Ravaged by injuries took its toll, hard to judge a one and done under those circumstances.

I think the coaches personality's clashed and Fangio didn't appreciate the 'new way' of motivating players. I also think that an 'old school' coach has to be more flexible when situations dictate. We lost key players and still competed and there was an opportunity to be a hero on D but Fangio passed on it.

I honestly don’t understand the narrative that Fangio failed. Our D was > than our O the second half of the season. Even held the Bills to 14 points the last game w half the starters signed out the parking lot in pregame. Played good enough beat KC too. I don’t get the smearing of McD or Vic. We had a top defense - even w all of the injuries.
I agree. Fangio did a hell of a job with what he had to work with, especially given some of the circumstances.

Maybe some of the players balked - who cares? Do your job. Every great coach has detractors. I'll call out Holland as one who ended up having a great year, despite his yammering.

Anyhow. No need to worry with it, it's the NFL. Players move on, coaches move on.

Gonna be torches and pitchforks if Weaver doesn't do better, haha.

(FWIW, I feel he will do a decent job)

I know we blame Fangio a lot for not utilizing the players the best way but I feel like McDaniel should've realized that scheme wouldn't match the talent we already had.
Fangio doesn't have one specific scheme. He's a grizzled DC veteran who can adjust his scheme to the defense and should have.

Fangio doesn't have one specific scheme. He's a grizzled DC veteran who can adjust his scheme to the defense and should have.
I suppose it depends on how one defines "scheme", but his philosophy/scheme/terminology is a pretty large branch on the defensive coaching tree. Sure, it has evolved over the years, but I disagree that he doesn't have one specific scheme.

Hell, last year he didn't even really have variations on the scheme.

Nice to see ya out of the safe space, brother.

Believe it or not, some of us miss you .... lol

Agree with all except Grier cutting him. I'm pretty sure it was the other way around
If it would have been the other way around, then I believe Grier would have offered to trade Fangio for a draft pick.

Fangio may have (probably) wanted to leave, but the decision was ultimately Grier's.

Back
Top Bottom