McMichael dissed again... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McMichael dissed again...

Pink_Dove said:
No way can Crumpler be ahead of McMicheal simply because of Randy's blocking ability which he has improved tremendously...
I'd even put Marcus Pollard (when 100% healthy) ahead of Crumpler..
Also, remember that guys like Heap, Gonzalez, Shockey are the FOCAL point of their respective O's...
Look at some Baltimore, KC and Atlanta games and you'll see most of the 3rd downs the QB will have those guys as his first option...
Chambers would be the number 1 receiver on those teams...
R-Mac might need to do more to earn some 'love' as a top TE but IMO he's got the physical tool and passion to be a top 5 TE in this league...

The thing that should amaze us is by Heap, Gonzalez and Shockey, being the focal point of their offense, they should also be the defense's focal point, and I believe they are. Still these players find a way to execute with the defenses preparing for them. Defenses last year prepared for RW and CC and RMM in that order, giving RMM some breathing room and open to make catches, since he was not the focal point of their defensive scheme...

It seems that sometimes when defenses prepare for RMM, they usually take him out of the picture. The inconsistancy that is brought up by most, shows; hey it was only his second year in the league. He is still a poor to average runblocker and he better be looking out for his competition, D Lee, he has good runblocking skills, and average pass catching abilities. He had less catches than RMM, but made more production from them...

Let's see if the new offensive aquisitions make for a more productive RMM. IMO, from what the coaches have said in the Mini and QB camps, the FB will have more production out of the passing game this year. If that happens, I expect RMM's role to reduce some this year, at least as a pass reciever...

I would agree that Heap is the focal point of his offense, but Shockey and Gonzo have much more substantial support taking attention away from them. Shockey is surrounded by Toomer, Hilliard, and Barber while Tony has Priest Holmes taking attention away from him through the air. I think Toomer in particular would take great offense to the Shockey argument because Toomer has outperformed him both seasons they have been on the team together and because Toomer has been doing his thing at the same high level since 99.

touborg said:
Dude you can't rank Winslow up there yet. No one has a clue how he will do yet.

I can't rank Winslow up there yet? Yes I can. McMichael isn't a great player. He's solid, but not near great yet. I'll take Winslow's potential over McMichael's potential + 2-year production any day.

Throw McMichael and Winslow out there for every team, and see how many teams go for McMichael.

(although I'm not hating on Randy Mac, it looks like I am...but McMike's my boy, I'm just tryna be honest)

I'm obviously a big McMike homer, I really dig his intangibles like the fire and spirit that he brings to the team that seemed like the defense always has seemed to have. Don't forget that his receptions went way down since the offense philosophy really put the playoff hopes on Mr Williams the second half his rookie year, and it really will be for a while too (duh.) There's always room for improvement and it's up to him to let people know whom they should choose to put up high on the TE list in the future. Also on a side note, Sports Illustrated ( I think SI) just came out w/ this sweet sports photgraphy book/magazine and the very front cover showcases Mr McMike himself (photo that someone had as their avatar-the one wear he's doing his best Superman fly through the air shot.) Very nice!

ChambersOwnz84 said:
I can't rank Winslow up there yet? Yes I can. McMichael isn't a great player. He's solid, but not near great yet. I'll take Winslow's potential over McMichael's potential + 2-year production any day.

Throw McMichael and Winslow out there for every team, and see how many teams go for McMichael.

(although I'm not hating on Randy Mac, it looks like I am...but McMike's my boy, I'm just tryna be honest)

Of cause you can rank him up there; as we are all entitled to our own ranks and opinions.

But you have, as touborg says, absolutely no clue on how Winslow will fare among top competition in every game in the NFL. Two words: Ryan Leaf; Talent: major - Production: horrendous.

I agree about the talent, and I am a firm believer in Winslow becoming a Superstar for many year to come, but let's se him play first before we knight him as a top TE in the league.

The Nationwide consciousness isn't very impressed with the Miami Dolphin offense. The way we played last year they shouldn't be.

Edit: To be clear, I'm saying that Shockey's first year wasn't so special that it makes up for a really subpar sophomore season. Players are supposed to progress, not regress, between years 1 and 2. Until he either matches the rookie performance or shows substantial improvement from year 2, he gets no love from me.

Shockey was on pace for a better 2nd yr until he got hurt and missed alot of games in the 2nd half. Also what's intersting is in 9 games Shocjey put up similar #s to mcmichael in 16 games.

Shockey- 48 recs, 535 yds, 2 TDs
McMichael- 49 recs, 598, 2 TDs

Shockey is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than McMichael and that's not to take anything away from Randy who is a very good pass catching TE but he is not on the Shockey, Gonzalez, heap level.

We all are going to have our opinions of who is better......but I think that if you polled the 32 teams on who they would want at TE, between McMichael and Winslow, about 30 of those teams would take Winslow, even though he hasn't proven it in the NFL yet.

My guess is that McMichael would be about the 6th best TE by GM standards, including age and expected production for the next 1-2 years. Here's my list:

1. Heap
2. Shockey
3. Gonzalez
4. Winslow
5. Crumpler
6. McMichael
7. Pollard
8. Dallas Clark
9. Sharpe
10. Boo Williams

Footballguys has Randy at #7 with the guys you list ahead of him plus Sharpe ahead of him. They put Winslow at #6 with Crumpler and Sharpe ahead of him. Mind you, this is a fantasy sports perspective. I think we're all pretty much looking at this from a similar perspective where we're not really worried with blocking and other non-receiving contributions by the TE.

If I wanted a guy to contribute this year without regard for the future, I would take McMichael over Winslow in a second. I don't like Winslow's chances to have a superb rookie year, particularly since he is going to be playing with a QB who doesn't have much experience throwing to the TE (can you name SF's TE without looking it up?). I think putting Winslow over McMichael is a statement about how RM will probably always only get you what he has his first two years whereas there is a theoretically higher ceiling on Winslow's performance. Fantasy footballers and NFL teams both love potential...

Jimmy James said:
(can you name SF's TE without looking it up?).

Yeah, It's Jed Weaver... but, I only knew because he is a former Dolphin.

But, looking it up now, he actually didn't do too bad last year with 35 catches for 437 yards.

You know what you guys in this board need to start doing? Favoring this teams players to the point where they are "better" than anybody else. I love Randy Mc Michael and as an FSU Fan I have seen him play probalby longer than most of you have seen him. I have seen Todd Heap play in college and Jeremy Shockey. These guys are just better athletes and can make big plays and block well. Randy McMichael is not a good enough blocker, while his hands may be good, these guys have done a lot for their offense.

As for "shockey" being good because he has two great wide receivers around him. I want to ask them if it means anything when Shockey is blocking. If anything, shockey is the most complete tight end in the nfl. Powerful blocker and can just run about anyone when he gets the ball. Start by giving other players the respect that they deserve. Shockey is just tough in the line and can get away from any linebacker that I have seen him cover. He isn't good because he has two other guys focusing the attention on him. Hardly any team double covers a tight end. They put a linebacker on him and the safety takes care of him underneath in the middle.

grooves12 said:
Yeah, It's Jed Weaver... but, I only knew because he is a former Dolphin.

But, looking it up now, he actually didn't do too bad last year with 35 catches for 437 yards.

Well, there goes that theory. I thought the Nners had a guy named Johnson or Johnston who was pretty bad.

Yes, this is proof that like everybody here, I am full of BS at times. Hey, we can't all research everything we write here...what's the fun in that?

burger13 said:
We all are going to have our opinions of who is better......but I think that if you polled the 32 teams on who they would want at TE, between McMichael and Winslow, about 30 of those teams would take Winslow, even though he hasn't proven it in the NFL yet.

My guess is that McMichael would be about the 6th best TE by GM standards, including age and expected production for the next 1-2 years. Here's my list:

1. Heap
2. Shockey
3. Gonzalez
4. Winslow
5. Crumpler
6. McMichael
7. Pollard
8. Dallas Clark
9. Sharpe
10. Boo Williams

Your List is Horrible my friend, you haven't watch any of these superstars play obviously. The best tight end in the league and that has been dominant for a while is Tony Gonzalez who had 7 more touchdowns, 20 receptions, and about 300 more yards than Heap did. The proof of his dominance could have been seen 2 seasons ago when he torched the miami defense. He is also the most athletic tight end and a tight end who can get open and catch passes from 40 yards using his tall and big body. The second best tight end would be shannon sharpe which has also played at a high level all these years to even last season. While still younger than these older veterans, and in 9 games which he played last season. Shockey did just as good as the rest of the competition above but statistically wise he is up there in third. Freddy Jones and Randy Mc Michael are up there along with Todd Heap. Todd Heap is a great tight end but I don't see anything different that he does and randy doesn't. He was the main target last season and thus should have made more plays. An Honorable mention is Itula from seattle, Kleinsasser from vikings, Crumpler from atlanta. They are just equally as good but out of that group I really like Itula. He's very strong in the middle and is a great blocker.

I don't know why you put Clark in the top 10 because he doesn't belong there it seems that you are watching too much espn or something or were an Iowa Fan. I belive Marcus Pollard is the best tight end at the moment in this offense.

Back
Top Bottom