Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle

You can't go wrong with the top players in the draft question is what's your favourite drink... OT DL, even QB is a need...

I won't be pissed off if we pass on JLong at #1. What will piss me off is if we pass on one of the Williams/Baker/Collins/Cherilius type guys at #32 and also fail to get a Flozell Adams type in FA. I realize that there is a flavor of overkill in my argument a la drafting OL #1 and #32 and theorizing about moving Carey back to guard. But if we ended up with Long/Mormino (Hadnot)/Satele/Carey/Cherilius or Williams, Baker, or Collins at LT and Carey back at RT I'm a happy camper, too. This just strikes me as a great year to end the OL misery, I don't know how else to put it.

Edit: I first heard about Cherilius last year from a Boomer post. I heard about Anthony Collins this year from a Boomer post and I read up on him a little bit- I haven't seen Collins play. So Boomer, thx for the info and hopefully I can see some film of Collins. p.s. you were spot on about Clady- I still like Cherilius, too. A bunch of these OT's coming out would look mighty fine in aqua and orange.

In the third round the 73rd pick. DL was a much bigger need for them and Okaye was considered a better prospect than Ginn by most teams so we will never know Houston would have done much like the Beck supporters that thin that if Quinn was still there when we chose Beck that we would have passed.

"He was our top-rated defensive player on the board...This kid is an outstanding football player.â€

With Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson and Ted Ginn gone, they went for defense

I won't be pissed off if we pass on JLong at #1. What will piss me off is if we pass on one of the Williams/Baker/Collins/Cherilius type guys at #32 and also fail to get a Flozell Adams type in FA. I realize that there is a flavor of overkill in my argument a la drafting OL #1 and #32 and theorizing about moving Carey back to guard. But if we ended up with Long/Mormino (Hadnot)/Satele/Carey/Cherilius or Williams, Baker, or Collins at LT and Carey back at RT I'm a happy camper, too. This just strikes me as a great year to end the OL misery, I don't know how else to put it.

I think so as well, as sexy as CB and Wr's are, it all starts with running the ball dominantly, and stopping the run, I would not mind a Conner at #32, or Pat Sims, but if we go LT and RG with our #32 and #59, I think we would be ahead of the game.

As for Long, he is massive, he can run block, I saw Gholston blow right by him, Derrick Harvey gave him problems as well.

IMO our third #2, the #62 (it should have been #64 first pick in the 3rd round is actually a late 2nd this year with only 61 players off the board) I would like to see a MLB or TE or CB.

I think so as well, as sexy as CB and Wr's are, it all starts with running the ball dominantly, and stopping the run, I would not mind a Conner at #32, or Pat Sims, but if we go LT and RG with our #32 and #59, I think we would be ahead of the game.

As for Long, he is massive, he can run block, I saw Gholston blow right by him, Derrick Harvey gave him problems as well.

IMO our third #2, the #62 (it should have been #64 first pick in the 3rd round is actually a late 2nd this year with only 61 players off the board) I would like to see a MLB or TE or CB.

I don't see two Olinemen on day one... but who knows...

I don't see two Olinemen on day one... but who knows...

Indeed, why not two lineman on Day 1? I'm curious?

If I could explain:

If we take Chris Long #1 overall, say at DE, we can then take Conner or our MLB at #32, or we can hold off, take a LT at #32, and a lesser MLB prospect at #59, then a Guard on Day 2 at 65/62 we would have our Oline shored up ( in theory) and have our De/Lb, then we can look for a Te or Cb.

Or Cb at 62 and Guard at 98, that is 5 picks out of the first 100 players or the top 50% of the picks, we should do pretty well.

So 40 time is mute, as in it doesn't matter. Riiiiighhtt. It's not the end all and be all- quickness and footwork I would imagine are more important, cone drill, shuttle, stuff like that, but don't tell me that it doesn't matter. Or tell Joe Staley, or the 49'ers for that matter. Ask Mr. Staley how much more money is in his bank account because of his 40 time.

If the 40 time is mute, then why does the scouting combine have OL's run it?
For RUN BLOCKING a 40 time is important as you have to pull or get down field . For pass blocking its not a good indicator as you don't run straight ahead to pass block , you do more sidestepping

So 40 time is mute, as in it doesn't matter. Riiiiighhtt. It's not the end all and be all- quickness and footwork I would imagine are more important, cone drill, shuttle, stuff like that, but don't tell me that it doesn't matter. Or tell Joe Staley, or the 49'ers for that matter. Ask Mr. Staley how much more money is in his bank account because of his 40 time.

If the 40 time is mute, then why does the scouting combine have OL's run it?

dude relax, i just talking about in pass blocking is different than running the 40... thats what this guy is getting at too. read my other post too.

"He was our top-rated defensive player on the board...This kid is an outstanding football player.â€

With Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson and Ted Ginn gone, they went for defense

still no evidence Houston was taking him.

dude relax, i just talking about in pass blocking is different than running the 40... thats what this guy is getting at too. read my other post too.

Fair enough, but I disagree. A good 40 time indicates an ability to get out of the gate quickly, some explosive movement. Not just a tool for run blocking, which is mainly in the trenches anyway. Again, Joe Staley- I saw him play on TV twice his senior year- I doubt that he was drafted for run blocking, I'll put it that way. He didn't run a great 40 and have scouts think "Geez, I bet he'll be a great run blocker with that 40 time of his".

No Dlockz is right..........Scott Wright who runs a free website is as knowledgeable as Adam Schefter. :rolleyes2:

Scott Wright may run a free website, but since he drives traffic through the website he's compensated by selling advertising space. Same as Google, Yahoo, and our own FinHeaven. The point is that it may be a free site but he's getting paid to do his draft analysis. Personally I like his stuff- great Senior Bowl reporting among other things.

Scott Wright may run a free website, but since he drives traffic through the website he's compensated by selling advertising space. Same as Google, Yahoo, and our own FinHeaven. The point is that it may be a free site but he's getting paid to do his draft analysis. Personally I like his stuff- great Senior Bowl reporting among other things.

I'll say this: you don't know boo about Adam Schefter then.

Back
Top Bottom