Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle

I guess I just don't understand why the only people I hear saying he can't play LT is on this board.

I don't see how a guy who is said to only be a RT, is even projected in the top five. Let alone the first round.

I'll be shocked if he's selected by said team, and said teams GM/coach, says sweet we finally got our RT problem solved.

Terrance Taylor's Michigan football initiation came in the middle of a living room last summer. He was low to the ground and really got worked up. But this wasn't a secret hazing -- it was senior Gabe Watson trying to take down the high school state heavyweight wrestling champ. No one is disputing Taylor's ability to step in for Watson, now with the Arizona Cardinals. He's one of the strongest players on the team, bench pressing 520 pounds and lifting the 225-pound weight 41 times. Taylor said only offensive lineman Jake Long exceeded him, with 48 reps. - Mark Snyder, Detroit Free Press

48 reps at 225....WOW.

I guess I just don't understand why the only people I hear saying he can't play LT is on this board.

I don't see how a guy who is said to only be a RT, is even projected in the top five. Let alone the first round.

I'll be shocked if he's selected by said team, and said teams GM/coach, says sweet we finally got our RT problem solved.

Mike Mayock said it (Long will consistently get beat by speed rushers in the NFL if he plays LT, but he'd make an all-pro RT) the other night too. Plug in two game tapes from the season (OSU, Illinois) and you'll see the evidence.

3 things.

1. If you'd seen Otah, you'd know he wasn't "super raw"
2. Why do you keep quoting meaningless stats and awards at me about Long. Watch him play. Clarkston Hines was the best statistical WR in college history. I don't see him in the pros. Trevor Cobb was the best TB in NCAA football and he's not in Canton. Gordie Lockbaum? Steve Taylor? Charlie Ward?
3. I forgot point 3.

Boomer...Otah has only 5 years experience playing football...half of that time was playing at the junior college level...compared to most other players he is raw.

2- For a guy who promotes stats as much as you do..I don't see why it all of a sudden it doesn't matter for Long...by the way hows 48 reps at 225 sound?

3- Point three can't be that important...:lol:

Mike Mayock said it (Long will consistently get beat by speed rushers in the NFL if he plays LT, but he'd make an all-pro RT) the other night too. Plug in two game tapes from the season (OSU, Illinois) and you'll see the evidence.

How does a player get beaten so badly by speed rushers and only give up one sack all season? Can you explain that?

How does a player get beaten so badly by speed rushers and only give up one sack all season? Can you explain that?

I haven't looked at the stats, so if that stat is true (could've swore Gholston got at least 2 in the OSU game, but memory may be serving me wrong) then it's surprising, though not a great mystery. Obviously, not every "beat" results in a sack. Sometimes it's a running play, sometimes the QB dumps the ball off, sometimes the QB throws the ball away, sometimes the QB just gets away, etc etc.

I remember Gholston getting by Long consistently and with relative ease. Same type of thing in the Illinois game and I recall Harvey getting by him in the bowl game a few times (though I know he didn't record a sack).

I've seen enough to have serious doubts about how well he'll handle the elite speed of the NFL in pass pro. But I'm no expert, so take that statement for what it's worth.

I haven't looked at the stats, so if that stat is true (could've swore Gholston got at least 2 in the OSU game, but memory may be serving me wrong) then it's surprising, though not a great mystery. Obviously, not every "beat" results in a sack. Sometimes it's a running play, sometimes the QB dumps the ball off, sometimes the QB throws the ball away, sometimes the QB just gets away, etc etc.

I remember Gholston getting by Long consistently and with relative ease. Same type of thing in the Illinois game and I recall Harvey getting by him in the bowl game a few times (though I know he didn't record a sack).

I've seen enough to have serious doubts about how well he'll handle the elite speed of the NFL in pass pro. But I'm no expert, so take that statement for what it's worth.

I have taken this off the NFLDRAFTScout website;

2007: Finished second in the voting for the Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy…Unanimous All-Big Ten Conference first-team pick and named the league's Offensive Lineman of the Year for the second-straight season…Added Academic All-Big Ten Conference honors… Hugh R. Rader Jr. Memorial Award recipient as Michigan's top offensive lineman and received the Mike Gittleson Award, given to the U-M player who exhibits a resolute work ethic and commitment to preparing for the game...Served as team captain for the second consecutive campaign, starting all thirteen games at left offensive tackle…Helped the team average 385.1 yards per game…The Wolverines amassed 1,251 of their 2,144 yards on the ground over Long's left tackle position, as he registered 119 knockdowns, including 18 touchdown-resulting blocks…Allowed only one quarterback sack on 423 pass plays and was penalized just once, finishing with an 87.85% grade for blocking consistency…Also recorded one solo tackle. All-American, started all 13 games at left tackle in '06. Missed time w/ankle injury. Played in final five games and started four games at left tackle in '05. All-Big Ten second team in '04. Did not see game action in '03.

Some other Long news or info if you like;

02/20/08 - Jake Long has been working out like never before -- double sessions five days a week, a single workout on Saturday, rest on Sunday. Long studies film, runs, lifts weights and does drills to improve his technique to play offensive tackle. The focus is different from what Long did in four years as a starter at Michigan. There is no game plan to face a pass rusher. Long has spent the last seven weeks at a training center in Tempe, Ariz., preparing for the NFL combine in Indianapolis this week. In short, Long has practiced drills to be at his best to do drills for the pro scouts. "It's definitely different," Long said over the telephone. "You're watching film on how you're running, doing drills or things like that. You're not watching game film, practice film, getting ready to play football. It takes a little while getting used to it." This is a time when college football prospects run, jump and lift for dollars. "I'm trying to get as strong as I can, and trying to get as lean I can," Long said. "Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all mapped out. You have a certain amount of calories. I've really followed that. "I've been working on quickness. There are a lot of the combine drills that we see and go through. We've practiced the Wonderlic test." Because of the dollars involved in rookie contracts, it makes sense for a player to maximize his draft position. - Mike O'Hara, The Detroit News

Here's a top player thats going to do the combine..how refereshing. Not only a top player but one with high character.

This just came to me...after reading some older news concerning Parcells....he had a favorite Tackle Named Jumbo Elliot...who also played at Michigan by the way...could history repeat?

This is whats so great about the draft...you just never know...unless your that fly...:lol:

The point is, he clearly CAN play LT but he can't play it at the elite level that you would like from the #1 pick. He's not Orlando Pace or Jon Ogden or Walter Jones and that's what you want.

Boomer...Otah has only 5 years experience playing football...half of that time was playing at the junior college level...compared to most other players he is raw.

2- For a guy who promotes stats as much as you do..I don't see why it all of a sudden it doesn't matter for Long...by the way hows 48 reps at 225 sound?

3- Point three can't be that important...:lol:

Eric Swann was drafted 6th overall out of semi pro football. Your poing is lost on me. 5 years is 5 years.

I don't "promote stats" to the point of ignoring the film. Which is what you're doing.

It wasn't. ;)

Back
Top Bottom