Merged 2x:O-gun/OGun wants to be traded/Screw Ogun/Trade Ogun | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 2x:O-gun/OGun wants to be traded/Screw Ogun/Trade Ogun

The teams that want him aren't stupid. Why pay a 1st and 2nd for him to get him this year when they can probably wait until next spring and get him for free? Using the franchise tag on Wale is going to be very painful for this team if it comes to that. That's what this is all about. We are either going to have to pay Wale like we told him we would if he showed us another season like 2002, we're going to have to face trading him for probably no more than a conditional pick that might top out as a 2nd rounder, or we're going to have to resign ourselves to being at Wale's mercy whether he plays the first 10 games and then losing him for nothing.

they won't get him for free. They would have to pay more because they would have to use the open market. Trading for him would be the smart route.

CirclingWagons said:
:shakeno: You guys would be be doing the same thing Ogun is doing if you were in his shoes

It saddens me that it takes a Bills fan to state this, but I do thank you for the support.

I disagree, some people understand the system and works with it to make a lot of money

Trading for him at the right price for that team would be the smart route. Wale might be inclined to give any team with exclusive rights a break off the market rates, but that break is only going to be so much because he knows he can hold out 11 weeks and hit the market next year as a UFA.

you have to look at it from Ogun's perspective...He's watching guys like jevon Kearse get 66 million dollar deals, while he had more sacks than them. Hell, Vonnie Holliday and Marcellus wiley have bigger deals than him. This is not a question of loyalty...loyalty no longer exists, this is a business. So, from a business perspective, judging by what other DE's have got, is Ogun only worth 1.8 mil?...didn't think so

I am looking at it from Ogun's position. He does deserve to be paid more then $1.8 million next year. I don't feel he is creating a situation where he will be at this moment.

Here's how I look at it.

I don't like the way OGun talks, but I like the way he plays. In think he comes off like a spoiled brat (a spoiled prince, I guess) and doesn't recognize his humble beginnings. Instead of being thankful that some team took a chance on him and let him ride the pine for a few years to rehab, he wants to approach it like Miami got a "steal." No, OGun, YOU got a steal, for waltzing into the starting role after someone else got freakishly injured and being paid more money than most of America makes in a lifetime to sit on the bench and do newspaper interviews about your family history.

You know what? I hope we trade him or he doesn't show for the first 6 games and we make him inactive for the rest. Then we'll see who's playing hardball. Who wants a loquacious, egotistical DE who hasn't played in a year and has an injury history, only 2 good years under his belt, and outrageous contract demands? This is turning into a Darryl Gardener situation. He's going to NY to talk smack to the media, saying that by not (over)paying him Kearse money we're "sticking it to him." He says he wants to play for Chicago.

Guys like Ricky and JT talk about "the team" and reference themselves in the context of a unit; OGun says he'd rather play for Chicago and remarks "How many sacks did they have last year? 'Cause I got 15 all by myself." Yeah, OGun, no one there to help you. No coverage sacks because Sam and Pat are on WRs like... well, like you on money. No sacks from JT collapsing the pocket and handing the QB to you. No sacks from teams having to choose between double-teaming you or a Pro-Bowl DE that's in the top 3 in the NFL. No sacks from two mammoth DTs eating up guards and keeping you in 1-on-1s. But Chicago? No, man, that will be totally different. The grass is totally different over there. It's way greener. A downgrade in overall defense, climate, team record. But they'll pay you incredible JT-like money, and every year if you get better you can demand a new contract. And if you play worse, hey, who cares, you banked $18m in a signing bonus. The risk is on everyone else, not you. Just like when you rode that bench watching JT play and then, after only 2 years of decent-to-great play, demanded the same kinda money he's making after doing it for years.

You're a restricted free agent and no one signed you (even if it would have cost them a first rounder). But why play for the team that has the rights to you? Hold out, don't play football, play hardball. You're a prince, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
ROTFLMAO!!!

They are calling A-Gun "Leon" on the Herald forum. Cracks me up!

I say they Fins tender him a final offer and if he doesn't take it let him play left splinter all year. He should be crediting all of his 15 sacks to my man Jason T.

Nobody balls like Taylor and Thomas!!! #99 and #54 - brothers and players awesome!!!

CirclingWagons said:
:shakeno: You guys would be be doing the same thing Ogun is doing if you were in his shoes

I wouldn't be airing my business in the media. I negotiate salaries for a living and it's never productive when you allow (or even worse ENCOURAGE) emotions to get in the way of business.

Folks, I am willing to go on record now that Ogun will get his much deserved payday - probably after June 1. If Im reading the situation correctly (this is all JMO of course), RS doesnt want to fork over a long term contract that will inhibit the teams chances of signing one or two more players after June 1. So Rick is waiting, while Ogun is huffing and puffing. Its all part of contract negotiations.

Whats more, Ogun DESERVES this contract. Aside from Surtain, Ogun is the only Defenisve "star" that is under 30. Zach, JT and Madison are all 30. Timbo is 30 plus. Even our top two back DL's (Zgonina and Jay Williams) are 30+. Point is, a good portion of these guys will be gone within two years. Knowing that, there is NO WAY that RS lets him go.

Lastly, if you compare Oguns demands to the contracts of other recent FA's (Dre Bly, Antoine Winfield, Grant Winstrom, Todd Wade), it certainly seems like a reasonable offer.

Remember, RS extended Surtains contract when he still had a few years left in his rookie deal. Thats the culture that the Dolphins brass bestows on the oprganization and its players. And unless somene offers the stars and the moon for him, RS will continue the trend of rewarding good, young players for performing at a high level.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you also look at Surtain's deal it wasn't as big as the market at the time. In fact if you look closer at Surtain's deal it was an actual deal instead of a deal with a bunch of backloaded money, like Madison's.

While it looked like Madison got paid a hell of a lot more, Surtain's deal was pretty much the same.

Jimmy James said:
I see this a bit differently. Miami's reward for that year has been what Wale gave them over the past 3 seasons. He has been a bargain, and he now wants to be paid what he is worth to a professional football team.

i agree. O-gun deserves and will get the contract he is due. he has been told by RS that at the moment he is not the primary concern. i believe RS really wants to keep him and will do rght by him. RS also has a responsiblity to the team and is trying to improve it as best as he can. the fact that RS was not willing to budge on compensation tells me he wants to re-sign him. O-gun just needs to be patient. trust that drew and RS will get it done. he should let drew appear to be the jerk. he does owe the team atleast that. the FO has gone beyond it's requirements to accomadate him, they didn't have to re-structure last year, and they have tendered him appropriately.

again i say O-gun needs to just shut and and be a little patient. let drew say all the stupid stuff, that's his job.

Back
Top Bottom