Merged 2x:Ok - Now Its Clear Pot Is The Issue/It aint all about the pot | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 2x:Ok - Now Its Clear Pot Is The Issue/It aint all about the pot

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Ok - Now Its Clear Pot Is The Issue & Its Hurt His Career

I'll start by saying this post isnt intended to start a debate as to whether or not pot should be legal. The fact is it is illegal right now and the NFL tests for it. This post is also not intended to start a debate regarding what a person should be able to do or not as a free individual.

THIS POST IS ABOUT POT RUINING RICKY WILLIAMS CAREER, AND HOW RICKY WILLIAMS USE OF POT HAS HURT THIS FOOTBALL TEAM.

From the Herald:
Report: Williams Said He Failed Drug Test

Associated Press

"MIAMI - Retired Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he failed a third drug test for marijuana use, which would cost him a four-game suspension if he decides to return to the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site Thursday.

Williams told the newspaper that marijuana played a larger role in his retirement than he indicated when he walked away after just five pro seasons. He said he learned of the failed test and possible suspension days before telling coach Dave Wannstedt last week that he was through playing.

Williams said, however, that there were "a hundred reasons" for his surprising decision to retire, and his desire to continue smoking marijuana was only one of them.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he told the Herald. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football."

Williams said he's not addicted to marijuana."

I know I'm a conservative when it comes to social issues. I also understand that being conservative isn't always the right point of view. I don't think any point of view is always right, whether it be a liberal or conservative view.

However, this post is about the reality of the situation between Ricky Williams and the Miami Dolphins and NFL.

I've said Ricky is immature. I stand by that. This entire ordeal IMO of world travel and retirement is Ricky Williams running from the 3 failed drug tests. He now has failed 3 drug tests as a Miami Dolphin. As a coach, I find that totally irresponsible to his teammates and the organization. He has chosen to smoke dope over being a Miami Dolphin. He's embarrassed the organization, hurt his reputation, and done possible career ending damage on himself. His pot use has now hurt the team.....OFFICIALLY. It doesnt matter if Pot isn't as bad as alcohol, or as bad as cigarettes.....because they aren't illegal. Pot is illegal right now, so it's the source of the immature decision.
It's all part of a big game in life that says "here is what you can do and here is what you can't do"...right now. Rules can always change, but for now it is what it is....Pot is illegal.
Ricky Williams is immature and selfish because he chose a simple pleasure (Smoking pot) over doing the responsible thing. He let down us as DOLFANS, his coaches and his teammates. He can be the new poster boy for those TV ads about how smoking weed can cost you and your teammates. I guess it was too much to ask him to give up weed for the status he has in society, and not to mention the millions of dollars he gets for playing and millions of fans who love to watch him play. It was too much to ask him to not smoke pot so that he could be in the NFL, or the Cornerstone of the Miami Dolphins Offense. It was to much to ask him to refrain from pot smoking for now so that he could present a higher image of himself for kids that admire him.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with what is going on with the drug tests, the reality of the situation is that Ricky Williams will not be able to continue on the path he has chosen for himself the way the rules are now in his life. He currently is heading into a 4 game suspension that has hurt his team after failing his 3rd drug test could soon find himself out for the year.

He is on the brink of losing it all. He's proven himself to be immature, dishonest, disloyal, unreliable, and unwilling to make the situation right. How typical is it that he ran away after that 3rd failed test. How typical that he still doesn't understand that failing a 3rd test is a whole different animal than failing 1 drug test. Ricky says he isn't addicted to Pot? Tell me, isn't the most clear sign of addiction when something starts to screw your life up? When you hurt relationships, or you work, etc for a drug? Ok Ricky...you chose. Either your addicted and need help or you are immature and need to grow up. Either way you have the power to bring this all full circle by simply keeping the blunt out of your mouth for a few more years.

I guess it's tough to appreciate people that are so immature and selfish that they engage in behavior that they know hurts themselves and others but don't care enough to alter that behavior. If Ricky wants to be a pothead he has the rest of his life to be a pothead. He only has a few years left where he can be an elite RB in the NFL.
Now that we know the retirement was really not about "lost fire" and that he was in reality running from another failed drug test and impending suspension, I think it's fair to say Ricky is immature and selfish in his pot smoking. One of the greatest enjoyments in life is the benefits of being part of a team and we'd all love to be in Ricky's situation as the Tailback of the Miami Dolphins, and the organizations most marketed player since Dan Marino. Ricky needs to grow up folks and look in the mirror and decide what kind of man he's going to be. Is his legacy going to be that he's irresponsible, dishonest, unreliable, etc? Or is he going to accept the responsiblity that comes with the gift he's been given?

I'm a DOLFAN and a Ricky Williams fan. But words can't express my disappointment with his decision to smoke pot over the TEAM.
I really hope Ricky Williams makes this situation right. He's a young man and he has a tremendous spotlight on him. Sometimes that isnt always fair. He deserves (like we all do) a chance to make things right. I think he'll get that chance, I only hope he takes it and learns from it.

Very well stated. Let's see how long this thread stays off the "pot should be legal" trail, though.

If you're giving up a football career and millions of dollars to smoke pot, that's a pretty big indication you've got a problem.

wow

I think this is the first time we've agreed on something. very well said.

i think it's safe to say that the failed drug test has a lot to do with "lost fire." if you really love the game and can't wait to get back out there, you figure out how to avoid that third strike. you get off the weed. it doesn't have to be a question of addiction. i buy the dedication thing. the decision was immature and a real letdown to the team, but there can be larger issues at work here that aren't necessarily easy to articulate nor are they easy for us to accept.

don't get me wrong, i'm REALLY disappointed that he'd get his third strike. that to me shows he was ready to quit the game, because i imagined after two strikes, if it were me, i'd have put the weed away... it may not have come down to a choice between weed or football. it may have come down to ricky knowing he was tiring of football and also knowing that weed would make it so he couldn't go back (at least easily).

Agua said:
Very well stated. Let's see how long this thread stays off the "pot should be legal" trail, though.

what if i think pot should be legal but i don't think athletes should do it during the season?

I hope his mother has a long talk with him and explains to him just how confused and wrong he is for letting a plant run his life. He owes his family, himself, his children to earn as much $ as he can while he can. IMO the bigger issue is how he has let himself and his family down all because he likes a plant so much.

If he's not addicted, why can't he just stop smoking it? I hope he can answer that question honestly for himself one day. When he does that he can then get the help he really needs.

But I wouldn't accept him back unless he's in a drug program. Short of that he's liable to walk out on himself again.

Oliver...

DPlus47 said:
what if i think pot should be legal but i don't think athletes should do it during the season?

Then they need to work the system within the NFL. Until the NFL allows the use of POT he will continue to have serious problems for using something he says he is not addicted to.

Oliver...

I agree with everything that you said. I do believe Ricky is done as a football player. Even if Ricky decides to seek help and wants return, I don't think it would be good for the Dolphins or the NFL. He admitted to doing drugs while playing football and he admitted to drinking masking agents. He can not be trusted. His own selfishness has cost us not only 2 first round draft picks, but our own belief that he wanted to win. Last year, it was apparent that he wasn't running as hard as he could. Ricky has incredible talent, but he has shown smoking weed is more important. As a team, we will be stronger this year than before this happen. Last year, if Mare would have made a couple of chip shots the Dolphins would have been 12-4. We added talent on the offense and our defense got alot deeper. Go ahead and write off the Dolphins, but I will be watching them in the playoffs.

ohall said:
I hope his mother has a long talk with him and explains to him just how confused and wrong he is for letting a plant run his life. He owes his family, himself, his children to earn as much $ as he can while he can. IMO the bigger issue is how he has let himself and his family down all because he likes a plant so much.

If he's not addicted, why can't he just stop smoking it? I hope he can answer that question honestly for himself one day. When he does that he can then get the help he really needs.

But I wouldn't accept him back unless he's in a drug program. Short of that he's liable to walk out on himself again.

Oliver...

Simple answer Ollie....
If he keeps using as he has when he knows they are catching him and its hurting the team, his reputation, and his pocketbook it's clear. He's either addicted or immature. Either way the sollution sure looks simpel to me. QUIT SMOKING DOPE (at least for a few years until you retire)

:shakeno: I cannot believe Ricky did this at 27 either. He s/have got this out of his system before he joined the NFL or even UT for that matter. He could have moved to Jah and smoke weed w/Bob's kids all he wants when he was older and sitting on top of piles of money (managed by a sober agent). This is whole "new" angle makes this ordeal even harder to believe.

P.S. linkage - http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...20040729/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_dolphins_williams

Does the team get the cap savings if Ricky is suspended for a year?

Back
Top Bottom