Merged: Carl Morris from Cologne WFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Carl Morris from Cologne WFL

If he makes the team or catches on, give credit to KB21 for saying to keep an eye on him.

I say keep an eye on Alphonso Roundtree of the Claymores. He's a starting corner for the best pass defense in NFL Europe. What is slightly impressive about the pass D is that they don't get interceptions, and they don't get sacks, they just cover. Its like what we did in 2001. Back then, Trace left us and our passrush suffered. Guys like Bromell and Mixon couldn't fill in the gap, and even JT had an off year. We also intercepted far fewer passes than in 2000. What we did though, was cover lights out...because back then if you remember we had drafted Jamar Fletcher to be our nickel CB but Terry Cousin surprised the heck out of us and looked like a starter and a real natural in that nickel role.

Thats what it looks like the Claymores are doing on D right now. Not a good passrush, not really dangerous at intercepting the ball, but the passing first downs are way below average, passing yards period best in Europe, passing yards per attempt best in Europe, and the run vs pass yard breakdown is more even than any other defense in Europe (teams get a whole 45% of their yardage against the Claymores running the ball, league average is like 30%).

As for Roundtree's personal stats he's got 27 tackles (22 solo) in I believe 7 games. He has 7 passes defense, and 2 forced fumbles. This comes from the NFL Europe Scottish Claymores official stats page...the Miami Dolphins page doesn't seem to be accurate (they say 7 games and 6 starts, 24 tackles, 6 passes defensed, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble).

Also keep an eye on Brendan Givan. He's got 50 something tackles with a team high in special teams tackles. He's the kind of special teams ace we look for at LB though the position is already crowded with Bua, Pope, and Moore as backups.

It seems that there is always some phin player lighting it up over there. As much as I would like to get excited about a Carl Morris or a Roundtree... I really do not think they will make this team. If so it will probably contributing on st. Even if they do, I hope we do not count on them for too much this season. They play football for (I think) 10 weeks over there and THEN they get to come to preseason/training camp and get beat up here!? Ouch... CAn't imagine many players taking that abuse and then still being able to play a full season here!

ckparrothead said:
Also keep an eye on Brendan Givan. He's got 50 something tackles with a team high in special teams tackles. He's the kind of special teams ace we look for at LB though the position is already crowded with Bua, Pope, and Moore as backups.
Givan has the best shot of the NFLE guys IMO - which is still slim to make active roster (vs. practice squad).

P.S. do not forget Jenkins on ST/LB

kasaba13 said:
I always park right outside Gate H. It seems to be right in the middle of everything...

That's a good spot. You'll see alot of the cheerleaders going/coming there !!

That's what I'M talkin' about !! ;)

clear.gif
DeDolfan said:
I imagine out in the parking lot !! :D :D

ckparrothead said:
If he makes the team or catches on, give credit to KB21 for saying to keep an eye on him.

I say keep an eye on Alphonso Roundtree of the Claymores. He's a starting corner for the best pass defense in NFL Europe. What is slightly impressive about the pass D is that they don't get interceptions, and they don't get sacks, they just cover. Its like what we did in 2001. Back then, Trace left us and our passrush suffered. Guys like Bromell and Mixon couldn't fill in the gap, and even JT had an off year. We also intercepted far fewer passes than in 2000. What we did though, was cover lights out...because back then if you remember we had drafted Jamar Fletcher to be our nickel CB but Terry Cousin surprised the heck out of us and looked like a starter and a real natural in that nickel role.

Thats what it looks like the Claymores are doing on D right now. Not a good passrush, not really dangerous at intercepting the ball, but the passing first downs are way below average, passing yards period best in Europe, passing yards per attempt best in Europe, and the run vs pass yard breakdown is more even than any other defense in Europe (teams get a whole 45% of their yardage against the Claymores running the ball, league average is like 30%).

As for Roundtree's personal stats he's got 27 tackles (22 solo) in I believe 7 games. He has 7 passes defense, and 2 forced fumbles. This comes from the NFL Europe Scottish Claymores official stats page...the Miami Dolphins page doesn't seem to be accurate (they say 7 games and 6 starts, 24 tackles, 6 passes defensed, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble).

Good point CK, I noticed Rountree as well. I liked what i saw from him last year in preseason. I think this kid could stick if he plays great on ST. There can be no doubt we are all set at CB. If Poole and Roundtree make it then we got some good young talent with experience teaching them for the future.

Oboy said:
It seems that there is always some phin player lighting it up over there. As much as I would like to get excited about a Carl Morris or a Roundtree... I really do not think they will make this team. If so it will probably contributing on st. Even if they do, I hope we do not count on them for too much this season. They play football for (I think) 10 weeks over there and THEN they get to come to preseason/training camp and get beat up here!? Ouch... CAn't imagine many players taking that abuse and then still being able to play a full season here!

i find it funny that you say something about young talent and how they will not make this team and then you have a quote by einstein about not trying anything new. Whether they make this team or not is not the question right now. The question is do they give us something more than the others on this roster as far as changing the attitude and depth of this team? that is a question we should be looking to answere and not writing anything off at this point. This is May.

finfan54 said:
i find it funny that you say something about young talent and how they will not make this team and then you have a quote by einstein about not trying anything new. Whether they make this team or not is not the question right now. The question is do they give us something more than the others on this roster as far as changing the attitude and depth of this team? that is a question we should be looking to answere and not writing anything off at this point. This is May.
I am not trying to write anything off. I would love for one of the players to come help this team, but that is just a LOT of ware to put on a body in that short of time. That is why the NFL is not a longer season. Shoot a lot of the players can not even make it through a NFL season without getting hurt. Much less playing the NFLE season and THEN try to do the NFL season.

Carl Morris for example may be a great addition to the team, just how much can he bring to the table this year? I could be wrong, but I can not remember the last NFLE player to come and play in the NFL season there after and make any real progress. Yes there has been some success of that move, but usually an offseason is between the two football seasons.

I think the more likely scenerio is for one (maybe more) of the players to make the Practice squad this year and contribute next year.

Right now Carl Morris is not near as impressive as Kendall Newson and Robert Baker were last year. I did some evaluating of Baker last year in NFL Europe and came away more impressed with Marc Lester, who is tall, not necessarily very fast, but great hands and ability to use his body to shield the ball, ability to make plays in any position on the field, etc. Lester spent some time on the Ravens regular season roster. The guy I really liked was Charles Lee who ended up being cut by the Bucs and then re-signed. We should have grabbed him. The Bucs took him back and when Keyshawn left, good things happened for Lee.

Wonder whatever happened to DE Lamanzer Williams? He tore up NFL Europe with sacks which, you don't usually end up seeing someone in NFL Europe get that kind of sack production.

Defense is where guys I think make it from NFL Europe, and Givan might have the best shot cuz of special teams but then again Bua, Pope, Moore, and Jenkins are all special teams linebackers so we're full there.

Roundtree damn near made the roster in 2003...actually he may have been on it for a bit. Newson was impressive enough in Europe that the Phins put him on the roster at some point during the year and really gave him a shot...and now they continue to give him a shot. When a guy looks impressive in Europe, usually it takes a full year before he can start to realize that in the NFL...and that means Newson is the guy to watch (and maybe Lamanzer Williams if we bring him back who knows).

Back
Top Bottom