MERGED: Let's analyze the MCCardell Situation... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Let's analyze the MCCardell Situation...

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
If we tried to get McCardell it would be at a steep price that I think I'll front office will not accommodate...
the shape our offense is in right now it would be stupid to not over pay a little we are in desperate need.

Let's analyze the MCCardell Situation...

The question is, will McCardell be released. I don't think many of us have a problem with signing MCCardell for one year at a decent contract (3 Million).

The sticking point for most people is whether we trade for the guy.

I believe that Tampa is going to cut McCardell lose. Here's my rationale:

1. The Bucs currently have three top receivers on the roster: Joey Galloway, Michael Clayton (rookie) and Tim Brown. Behind those three, Joe Jureviscious is there. So basically, where is MCCardell's spot? Will the Bucs pay a guy three million this year to be a third receiver?

2. Tim Brown made it clear he wants to start somewhere. Oakland could only guarantee Brown the number 4 receiver spot, that's why he left. So he's not going to leave Oakland for the same guarantee. He must be assured no worse than the number three receiver spot with a shot at the number two.

3. McCardell wants MORE than the 2.5 million he's slated to make. He's been holding out with 2.5 million sitting on the table for him. I don't believe Tampa, after shelling out some extra cash for Brown is in a position to meet McCardell's demands for a raise. Therefore, they very likely may release him. If that happens, we're one of the only teams out there that has a bonafide opening at the #2 spot. We also have the cash by virtue of the Ricky money.

I believe he'll get cut soon, and then he'll shop his services around. We will present the most attractive offer.

What do you all think?

This was written before the Brown signing, right?

I believe McCardell will be released.

miamirw said:
The question is, will McCardell be released. I don't think many of us have a problem with signing MCCardell for one year at a decent contract (3 Million).

1. The Bucs currently have three top receivers on the roster: Joey Galloway, Michael Clayton (rookie) and Tim Brown. Behind those three, Joe Jureviscious is there. So basically, where is MCCardell's spot? Will the Bucs pay a guy three million this year to be a third receiver?

2. Tim Brown made it clear he wants to start somewhere. Oakland could only guarantee Brown the number 4 receiver spot, that's why he left. So he's not going to leave Oakland for the same guarantee. He must be assured no worse than the number three receiver spot with a shot at the number two.

3. McCardell wants MORE than the 2.5 million he's slated to make. He's been holding out with 2.5 million sitting on the table for him. I don't believe Tampa, after shelling out some extra cash for Brown is in a position to meet McCardell's demands for a raise. Therefore, they very likely may release him. If that happens, we're one of the only teams out there that has a bonafide opening at the #2 spot. We also have the cash by virtue of the Ricky money.

I believe he'll get cut soon, and then he'll shop his services around. We will present the most attractive offer.

What do you all think?

Slight problem for your argument.... just like a certain Williams, McCardel is on the "Did not report for camp list". That removes him from counting against the Bucs roster count or salary cap. They can hold onto him all year until he decides to report without any negative consequences at all. Basically, IF they wanted to be nice to him they'd just release him as they don't seem to need him anymore. However it has been reported that the Bucs GM is trying to make an example of McCardell of what happens when you hold out against the Bucs. I honestly expect them to make him sit out of football until week 9 or 10 when he might report back.

If they can get a pick for him, I'm sure that they'd take it in a minute... but the question remains to be seen how high of a pick it needs to be in order for the pick to become more important, in their eyes, than making an example.

miamirw said:

What do you all think?
I THINK THEY PUT HIM ON DID NOT REPORT LIST.. WHICH MEANS THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY HIM AND IT DOESN'T GO AGAINST THE CAP...

I love to get him, if we were able to, then we lose very little going from Boston to McCardell, but we also can't wait to long, and gamble with losing a sure thing in Freeman. We absolutely need to fix this problem within this week, or we risk ending up with nothing on the opposite side of Chambers.

Slight problem for your argument.... just like a certain Williams, McCardel is on the "Did not report for camp list". That removes him from counting against the Bucs roster count or salary cap. They can hold onto him all year until he decides to report without any negative consequences at all.

Good point, however, isn't it safe to assume that MCCardell and his agent would come into camp now because the prospect of Tampa holding out is more real? IE Tampa has called McCardell's bluff and re-raised by signing Brown. I'll be interested in seeing how much Brown signed for and whether he was given a guarantee of the #2 spot.

I believe McCardell will come into camp in the next week to collect his money (since he realizes that Tampa can and will push it to the tenth week) and this will put the ball in Tampa's court. (granted there is some wishful thinking in this as well I admit).

From Tampa's POV, McCardell comes into camp and counts 2.5 mil against the cap. You've got Galloway, Brown, Clayton and Jureviscious already on the roster. Brown knows this offense better than anyone. If by season's start, McCardell is no better than the fourth receiver, then I believe he'll be released.

Unfortunately, this may take three weeks to complete....

The Bucs FO has only to wait it out. They are probably expecting a call from the Dolphins anyway. I don't see them cutting McCardell anytime soon.

Only a draft pick might get them to act now. So the question is how high? I'd give up a fifth round, but it would hurt to give up a fourth and a big contract.

McCardell should have at least 2 solid years left in him, so I'd structure his contract accordingly. It seems we have the cap room, and there is no doubt we need another playmaker at WR (on offense in general actually). Freeman may be a good third down WR, but he has little to offer past that. I like the possible signing of Freeman for depth and vet experience, which we will need this season. Plus he will be cheap.

I think we would all feel better about the coming season with McCardell and Freeman on the team. If Feeley works out, I could see a passing attack getting us into the playoffs, and then who knows? Keep the dream alive in 2004! :D

If Dave and Rick wanna be in Miami next year then they better do something. I can't see them not trying to go after Keenan being the best option to fill the Boston void. The only way I see him in a Dolphins uniform is via trade. How many times have we seen the Dolphins get outbid by some other team willing to give a bigger signing bonus? If KMc hits the open market I think we won't get him. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom