Merged: MLB Trades | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: MLB Trades

Huge trade in the MLB this afternoon.

Roy Halladay to the Phillies, Cliff Lee to the Mariners, and prospects from both teams to the Blue Jays.

Im not sure I get this for the Phils. All things being equal, Halladay is a better pitcher than Lee. No doubt. But they are giving up prospects and signing Halladay to a huge extension when he is the older of the two. We all know how long term contracts for older pitchers end up...I guess they figure now is their window to win and want to give it everything they have these next few years.

Phillies acquire Roy Halladay from Toronto in 3-team deal which sends Lee to Seattle

Following up their second consecutive NL pennant and World Series appearance, the Philadelphia Phillies made a step forward in efforts to try to get back for a third encore, and in their hopes a second ring by acquiring 6 time All Star/ 2003 AL Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay from the Toronto Blue Jays; in a three team swap with Seattle which would net the Mariners 2008 AL Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee from the Phillies.

At latest reporting, Halladay is in Philadelphia as we speak preparing for a physical. If he passes, a deal which would net the Phils Halladay, appears completed.

At latest billing, the rumored deal would see the Mariners acquire the 2008 Cy Young Award winning Lee from Philadelphia. In a twist of irony, the Phillies acquired Lee at the trade deadline in August after failing to acquire Halladay. Lee pitched phenominally for Philadelphia, winning his first five starts with the team, and going 4-0 in the post-season, including two wins in the World Series.

The Blue Jays would pick up a bevy of prospects from both Philadelphia and Seattle, with Kyle Drabek as the most notable of the names.

At last billing, the deal looks like the following--

To Seattle: Cliff Lee
To Philadelphia: Roy Halladay, Phillippe Aumont and Tyson Giles
To Toronto: Travis d'Arnaud, Michael Taylor, Kyle Drabek and Dominic Brown

My assessment on this deal is one of questionable nature for Philadelphia. Granted, Roy Halladay is far from chopped liver, and the Phillies can state they got who they wanted all along.

However, I really don't think there's THAT big of a talent gap between Halladay and Lee that merits the Phillies giving up five players, or a package of Lee-- who on a talent prespective is younger and at least comparable over the last two seasons record and ERA wise, and four of their top prospects for him.

If you break this down, and include what they gave up to get Lee to start with, essentially the Phillies gave up 9 of their top ten prospects to get Halladay. No matter how good Doc is, he's no where near THAT good. Me thinks the Phillies are essentially getting swift hosed here.

This is what I posted in the other thread. I basically have the same view on it as you. The Phils got the short end and the Mariners made off the best I think:

Im not sure I get this for the Phils. All things being equal, Halladay is a better pitcher than Lee. No doubt. But they are giving up prospects and signing Halladay to a huge extension when he is the older of the two. We all know how long term contracts for older pitchers end up...I guess they figure now is their window to win and want to give it everything they have these next few years.

If it does wind up being Happ, the Phillies essentially gave up half of their World Series rotation for Roy Halladay..

If it's Drabek, they gave up a guy who's going to be a future ace, and a guy they labeled untouchable as early as July..

Sorry to Philadelphia fans, but that's WAY too much for Roy Halladay.

freakin red sox got lackey. lame.

and the yankees let wang and matsui walk. wang was awesome when he was healthy - and matsui is perfect for the DH spot - not too pumped about all that either.

freakin red sox got lackey. lame.

and the yankees let wang and matsui walk. wang was awesome when he was healthy - and matsui is perfect for the DH spot - not too pumped about all that either.
Losing Wang was a foregone conclusion I think. Im still kinda bummed about Matsui though. He was always WAY underrated even among Yankee fans. Sure, his knees are shot now and he cant play the OF anymore, but he was a great hitter. He was money in clutch situations his entire career. sad to see him go and the fact that he only costs the Angels 6M makes it worse. 25-30 HRs and 80-100 RBIs aren't going to replace themselves.

If it does wind up being Happ, the Phillies essentially gave up half of their World Series rotation for Roy Halladay..

If it's Drabek, they gave up a guy who's going to be a future ace, and a guy they labeled untouchable as early as July..

Sorry to Philadelphia fans, but that's WAY too much for Roy Halladay.

Drabek is already damaged goods, and it sounds like Drabek may have failed a physical which almost nixed the entire deal. Aumont is actually rated ahead of Drabek as a pitcher and he is the same age but has more experience then Drabek. The Phillies also got Tyson Gillies, who is a future CF with incredible speed. The Phillies would have lost Lee after next season so they did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom