Merged: Putting on thinking cap/17 million over the cap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Putting on thinking cap/17 million over the cap

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Putting on thinking cap

Putting on thinking cap
The team now has the foundation of a plan that includes extending cornerback Patrick Surtain's contract, guaranteeing a portion of linebacker Zach Thomas' contract and cutting the salaries of backup quarterback Brian Griese, safety Brock Marion, receiver James McKnight and center Tim Ruddy, among others.

If the players meant for salary cuts do not accept less money, they could be cut altogether -- some after June 1 for accounting purposes.

Wow, we're 17 mill over the cap!!who's going?

That's a lot of money to be over the cap. I just read that Ruddy, Marion, Griesse and Mcknight could be going. I think Jay's going too but that's still not enough and we need to take care of Wally too. The way I see it we'll be hard press to get any free agents. Not that we need many as I think we only need a couple as long as we have a good draft. Anybody got any ideas as to what the dolphins will do to get that number down?

Ozzy rules!!

Levy has heard the rumblings about Brunell but isn't worried about them and doesn't plan to talk to the Dolphins about them soon.

''Brunell is a sexy name, but what's he going to do that Jay can't?'' Levy asked

Man I don't have time to list the things!

How can Griese be asked to have his salary cut when it is already near the minimum for a vet?

Oh yes.......let's ask Ruddy to accept another pay cut

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
How can Griese be asked to have his salary cut when it is already near the minimum for a vet?
I am sure the comment was meant for the un-cap-educated ;) , but here it is again in the Sun from Alex no less
But Griese knows he might not have the chance to showcase any improvement for the Dolphins, who won't be paying him a $5.94 million roster bonus he is owed in the offseason. Griese hasn't spoken with team officials yet to learn whether the team wants him to return at a lower salary.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...an16,0,6839161.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Re: Wow, we're 17 mill over the cap!!who's going?

Originally posted by Danny
That's a lot of money to be over the cap. I just read that Ruddy, Marion, Griesse and Mcknight could be going. I think Jay's going too but that's still not enough and we need to take care of Wally too. The way I see it we'll be hard press to get any free agents. Not that we need many as I think we only need a couple as long as we have a good draft. Anybody got any ideas as to what the dolphins will do to get that number down?

Ozzy rules!!

we won't be able to keep Wally. We'll have to free enough to match an offer to push him to the 1first and 3 rounder tender, but there's no way we could afford what he deserves. plan on losing him. Also T-Bow will take a hefty cut. He allready offered.

Anyone else think it's funny they said Brian has to cut his salary or be cut yet Jay wasn't even mentioned on that list? Tells me he's gone and maybe Brian stays on as a backup if he takes the pay cut.

Re: Putting on thinking cap

Originally posted by dolphan39
Putting on thinking cap

All depends on where you read the info and ultimately who you believe. I've seen numbers anywhere form <10 to >17. That is ALOT of difference. Trouble is, they all can't be right. i would likely say that it is somewhere around 14 or even less actually. But keep in mind, that is the figure for only the players under contract [around 40 some] and doesn't include the fA like Ogun, Tbuck, Wade and the like. So in a sense, the over the cap # is a bit misleading in that you have to make enough moves by that figure to just get under the cap to be legal, PLUS enough to be able to do the regular wheeling and dealing. You may as well say you're looking at closer to 20 mil in all actuality tho.

Re: Re: Putting on thinking cap

Originally posted by DeDolfan

All depends on where you read the info and ultimately who you believe. I've seen numbers anywhere form &lt;10 to &gt;17. That is ALOT of difference. Trouble is, they all can't be right. i would likely say that it is somewhere around 14 or even less actually. But keep in mind, that is the figure for only the players under contract [around 40 some] and doesn't include the fA like Ogun, Tbuck, Wade and the like. So in a sense, the over the cap # is a bit misleading in that you have to make enough moves by that figure to just get under the cap to be legal, PLUS enough to be able to do the regular wheeling and dealing. You may as well say you're looking at closer to 20 mil in all actuality tho.

Very true.......getting to cap compliancy isn't too difficult. It's the rest that will be

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Anyone else think it's funny they said Brian has to cut his salary or be cut yet Jay wasn't even mentioned on that list? Tells me he's gone and maybe Brian stays on as a backup if he takes the pay cut.

That's the way I read it too, especially when you consider how overpaid JF is.

Re: Re: Re: Putting on thinking cap

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

Very true.......getting to cap compliancy isn't too difficult. It's the rest that will be

Ain't it now. I saw a list the other day [forget where i saw it, here, there, where ever??] showing a list of all teams and their cap #s. biggest surprise to me was the Skins at something like 8 mil under after all the stuff they do.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Putting on thinking cap

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Ain't it now. I saw a list the other day [forget where i saw it, here, there, where ever??] showing a list of all teams and their cap #s. biggest surprise to me was the Skins at something like 8 mil under after all the stuff they do.

Those lists need a disclaimer. You need to look at what FAs each team has as well as how many players are already under contract. If a team, as an example, has only 40 players and is $10 million under, much of that will be needed to fill the top 51. Another team could have many key FAs (Colts, Seahawks, 49ers).

When talking about the cap imparitive that you compare the number of players already signed, which for us is 54. By contract, the Ravens who are approxinally 25 million under the cap, only have 34 players signed. Tennesse only has 39 players signed, but is 16 aprx. over the cap.

Back
Top Bottom