Merged: Saban considering trading up? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Saban considering trading up?

death7star said:
move up one spot in the first round to get vernon carey while giving up a 4th round pick to vikings. even though the vikings weren't going for him. stupid rick.

A really stupid move by Wanny :shakeno:

death7star said:
move up one spot in the first round to get vernon carey while giving up a 4th round pick to vikings. even though the vikings weren't going for him. stupid rick.

o yeah i forgot about that, i was all appy when that happened, then i found out we picked vernon and gave up a 4th i got really pissed

death7star said:
it must've been another team that was trying to trade with minnesota as well

infiltrateib said:
This doesn't make sense. The only QB we'd have a shot of trading up to get would be Cutler, and there's no telling if he'll go top 10, 15, 20. Some sites (Draft Countdown) have him at a reach at 16, others have him going top 10.

Young and Leinart are likely off the board by pick 6. We're not trading all the way up there (at least I'd bet heavily against it...). Unless Leinart slides to 10ish (unlikely IMO) in which case I'd jump on that REALLY quickly.

Cutler has moved up into the top ten by most scouts and draftniks with his performance in the Senior bowl practices. The likelyhood of him being available to us is not good at this point. There were lingering questions about his polish and arm strength, that he seems to have answered at the Senior bowl, despite his actual play in the game (he was ok, but not spectacular).

I doubt that Saban will leave to chance us being able to select the QB he wants to the draft. That's not to say he won't go after a guy in the 2nd-4th rounds, but trading up just doesn't seem to be his style or the smart thing to do, based on the number of areas we need help in other than QB. Even though this statement has come out by Barry Jackson, I don't hold much credence to it. Even if he were working on a trade-up scenario, would he blab it out there just yet ?? I doubt it, he's too calculating for that. My best guess is that he'll get an upgrade to Gus that can carry the team in FA and then plan on drafting our future QB in the 2nd to 4ht rounds...He also has Lemon, that we as fans know very little about...I'm sure Saban knows more about him, so who knows...

death7star said:

Read the accounts by Carey...Rick wasn't so stupid...Whoever the other team was (the Pats I think) had him on the phone when RS made the trade and picked Carey...He was the second best OT in that draft and was drafted in the right slot for him...He hasn't turned out to be the LT we thought he would, but DW and T. Wise had a lot to do with that as well. Amazing how much better he played this year with real coaching...He's not anywhere near elite, but certainly better than his first year....

LarryFinFan said:
Read the accounts by Carey...Rick wasn't so stupid...Whoever the other team was (the Pats I think) had him on the phone when RS made the trade and picked Carey...He was the second best OT in that draft and was drafted in the right slot for him...He hasn't turned out to be the LT we thought he would, but DW and T. Wise had a lot to do with that as well. Amazing how much better he played this year with real coaching...He's not anywhere near elite, but certainly better than his first year....

Andrews was the 2nd best OT in that draft. It was a dumb trade for a RG/RT, atleast at that point. Wilfork would have been a better pick.

sports24/7 said:
IMO this is the team we have the greatest chance to trade up with unless their coaching staff fell in love with DeAngelo Williams at the Senior Bowl. Ricky would be a great 1-2 with Gore, but they might also be willing to do the trade for picks, which is what I would prefer.

i was thinking San Fran as well...i dont know why but if Nicky was to pull the trigger it would be with Nolan

SpeedRush99 said:
Cutler played in the option before this year which is much different than Young's shotgun "improvise" offense. No doubt that Young is a gifted athlete but personally I've never been a fan of running Qbs and he's as much of one as you can be.

Option? That is a system that the QB runs in.

Juan Cribbs said:
cutler is a project for a pro-style offense. croyle has been in one for years. i think a lot ofp eople expected croyle to play better, but he wasn't even that much better. cutler had some improvements over the week, so i think he's just getting started on his development. it was a very valuable week for him. but, if cutler is to go to the second round, then so should vince young, who is even more raw as a passer

O.K. If Young is raw for a passer....how did he throw for 26 tds and 3000 yds?

He's as much a passer as any QB in this draft...in fact he better than most.

Cutler...273/462....59.1% comp....6.7 yds per att...21 tds 9 int....126.1 passing rating

Young..212/325...65.2% comp ...9.3 yds per att...26 tds 10 int....163.9 passing rating

Croyle...202/329...59.6% comp...7.4 yds per att...14 tds 4 ints...132.8% passing rating

Leinart...283/431...65.7% comp...8.9 yds per att...28 tds 8 int.....157.7% passing rating

I'll add Brady Quinn since everyone seems to like him;

Quinn...292/450...64.9% comp...8.7 yds per att... 32 tds 7 ints....158.4% passing rating.

Now just how raw could young be...if he has the 2nd best comp rating...the highest yds per att rating....and the highest passing rating? You may not like the way he throws...or the way he runs....but he's a winner...and thats all that matters.

Jaj said:
Umm that's Whitehurst :sidelol:

Which part is Whitehurts? The soft, looping passer or the big, tall, cannon of an arm passer?

I dont think Saban would go for Cutlers ****iness which i hear is coming out and i kinda picked up on that when interviewed yesterday on the sideline. Saban wants either Croyle or Whitehurst IMO and will look at others who arent even mentioned alot or at all. I think this report is BS. Cutler is going to go around 9 or 10 and if those teams dont pick him he would be all ours at 16 only for alot of people to be disappointed that Saban picks Greenway LB Iowa.

His Dudeness said:
it has to be in reference to Cutler. The price for Leinart and Young is way too steep. I don't believe any reporter has some sort of inside scoop with Saban.

If the reporter is right, that makes sense. The price to go from #16 to #2 or #3 would probably prevent Saban from making that kind of deal. I would like to see them end up with Cutler. It has been a long time since this franchise used a #1 pick on a QB.

Jaj is RIGHT!!!! Wilfork was the correct pick. An agile, unmovable monster in the middle of the d-line.

Back
Top Bottom