MERGED: The formula is almost complete for a Super Bowl run.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: The formula is almost complete for a Super Bowl run....

marino2duper73

Active Roster
Reaction score
The formula is almost complete for a Super Bowl run....

Ok Phin-phuks, I'm here to clarify some things for all you doubting, blithering meatheads that can never let go of Marino and the Killer Bees....We are a better team this year since '94. Let me elaborate... Our team success has been highly dependent on defesne for the past 10 years, but lacking a CONSISTENT running game has been the key. Now the Dolphins find themselves with a huge dilemna at the position of quarterback. Start Fiedler and get complete knowledge of the playbook AND players...Start A.J. Feeley, and you get a stronger arm and a little better quickness off the line of scrimmage with slants and screens. I guess there are a couple things to consider...

First issue is health. Fiedler has a good winning percentage when he's healthy, but when he comes off of an injury, he isn't very good. He has bulked up a bit ( 15 lbs. bigger up top this year), which gives him more release velocity, but may make him prone to more elbow and shoulder issues. Feeley on the other hand is younger, and he comes from a system that is more pass devoted (Philly) and relies on a 3rd stringer to be ready since their o-line was porous...

Miami's O-line is strong this year, and without grandpa Ruddy at center, we should see a quicker pull to the ends from a younger center. What that does is it enables Ricky to exploit the the the outsides AND work a lot more on the screens and delay flat passes, which were huge missing links in '03 for our offense. Another underrated player that doesn't get credit for Ricky's success is Rob Konrad. Rob brings toughness and size to the blocking aspect of our miserable 3rd down numbers, and he has great hands for a fullback.

Here's my X-factor.. I think the key to Jacksonville for our beloved Phins falls on two things. Special teams and how well our starting field position is this year, since we were almost last in the league in field position, which meant longer, more treacherous drives, which as we know, doesn't bode well for our young offensive line and our prize running back Ricky Williams, who was subbing out more often the second half of the season with leg issues. He needs to stay loose on the sidelines, and quit focusing so much on trying to create holes that aren't there. He will be faster this year, and will be able to get outside if he's more patient.

The other factor is playcalling. Coach Dave is in the hotseat, but for good reason. He didn't go for it on fourth very often last year, due to Norv Turner's predictable monotanous offensive scheme. Dave could have made some decisions on the playcalling side that would have given his team the confidence they lacked in the clutch. Plus, we'll see Fiedler calling more audibles, for he is more knowledgeable of the plays this year AND has finally gotten the defensive reads down. His decision making, along with Wandstadt's confidence boosting in him (or Feeley) will go a long way if he shows his balls this year...Otherwise, look for the Phins to find a big college running-down-your-throat coach who will have a passing game to compliment Ricky, instead of trying to compliment Ricky with interceptions and punts. My prediction for this year......12-4 ...We'll get into the playoffs as the East champs, with N.E. as a wild card. we will host the first round at home against an afc west opponent like the chiefs or broncos. then we will travel to indy or tennessee and test our stamina. If we get to the AFC championship game, we will go simply because no one expected us to get past the first round. Philadelphia or Seattle and either Miami or Indianapolis in the Super Bowl, with Miami winning if Seattle shows up, and Philly taking it no matter who is from the AFC...there it is...if any of you are asking why I didn't mention David Boston or Chris Chambers, it's because that subject is a no brainer...Produce the goods, or go away...

Philly's OL was porous?? I think they're anything BUT porous. In the 5 games I watched Feeley play in, he was afforded some of the best pass protection I've ever seen. I think it's more of a case of Andy Reid being a great offensive mind and QBs coach.

Also, I'd heard that Jay had actually LOST a little weight. But if he's gained some upper body mass, great. :)

Finally, welcome aboard. But try and steer clear of insulting the entire board, with or without the implied profanity.

The only thing you didn't tell us, is what brand of champagne the Dolphins will be drinking. :lol:

FlyingElvis said:
The only thing you didn't tell us, is what brand of champagne the Dolphins will be drinking. :lol:

Prolly the same brand the '72 alums drink.....EVERY year. The same brand they will be drinking again this year..... :shakeno:

with the exception of the first sentence :shakeno: I hope your right about most things in your post ;) . I think Philly taking it all is a reach at this point, they seem like the Bills back in their heyday, real close but can't get it done. :cry: I think the loss of their starting corners, the Freaks injury that he probably will get, and Mcnabbs inaccuracy will hold them back. :rolleyes:

I have to agree about Philly. While gaining the freak and Owens they did lose their 2 starting corners. That will be a big ? on the D. If they had lost just one then maybe it would be a little easier to fill but 2 that could be terrible. Also McNabb was a little inaccurate last year. I also believe the loss of Staley will be huge. While he is not an awesome back he was a part of what could have been IMO one of the best running back tandems in the league. I am kind of anxious to see if Buckhalter or Westbrook can be an everydown back? About our beloved FINS. I believe this O Line will come together the fact that the oldest player on the line is 26 is a big plus if they can gell. I have heard that Ricky has looked a lot faster in camp and if that line is opening up holes I look for another 2002 like season. While the QB is a ? is some peoples mind the way I look at that is it can't be no worse then last year. With the addition of DB that could be big. Reggie Howard, Antwan Edwards, and Will Poole will give us some added depth on D in the secondary I look for big things. Its almost here fellows.

:D i say we take philliy in the superbowl and we will be 2004 superbowl champs!!!!!

Muck said:
Philly's OL was porous?? I think they're anything BUT porous. In the 5 games I watched Feeley play in, he was afforded some of the best pass protection I've ever seen. I think it's more of a case of Andy Reid being a great offensive mind and QBs coach.

Also, I'd heard that Jay had actually LOST a little weight. But if he's gained some upper body mass, great. :)

Finally, welcome aboard. But try and steer clear of insulting the entire board, with or without the implied profanity.

From what I've seen Jay's added 5-8 lbs of solid upper body mass in the offseason, especially around his shoulders and chest area.

I look forward to this season, especially if the OL gel rather quickly, if that happens, then I do expect a better showing from this team, if this OL can open holes and pass block, man we do have a chance to be special...but our OL right now has a lot of questions to me..maybe it just me, but I think there's a reason behind the trade talks with the skins and our insisting that Samuels is included in any trade talks..

Ricky's shoulder plagued him most of the second half of the season, not his legs. Fiedler can win games and is very mobile but his decisions are horrible. He puts the ball up for the reciever to make a play. Most of the time it's double coverage when Fiedler throws. If the OL doesn't mesh and I don't care who's Qb, their will be a devastation on gameday.

34, we had the worst offensive line in the league last year and still went 10-6.

The line HAS to be better, there will be no devistation.

Wishfull thinking!

The reason the playcalling by Norv Turner was conservative and lame was because of the head coach Dave Wannstedt. It does not matter how strong Fiedler gets, he always will have a popgun arm. As long as Wanny keeps handcuffing this team, the Superbowl will be a pipe dream. I think this team has the talent to reach the big game but the team does not have the head coach to get them there. Wishfull thinking!

34RWilliams said:
Ricky's shoulder plagued him most of the second half of the season, not his legs.
Plus he's got that gluacoma problem!!:tongue:

Back
Top Bottom