MERGED: This will probably save Wannstedt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: This will probably save Wannstedt

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
With Ricky retiring, now you know Huzienga and Eddie Jones are going to keep Wannstedt around after this year. Miami could go 2-14 and it wouldn't matter. They are going to say its not fair to judge Dave on this season. Ricky left him out to dry. He needs one more year...etc

I can see it coming already.

his contract ends after this season if im correct, i doubt he will come back unless we make the playoffs.

It's funny how nobody remembers 2001, when we had an 11-5 record with Lamar Smith as our top running back. I know this year's team easily has more talent than that team, at least on offense. DW is nowhere near the best coach in the league, but I will give him credit: the team has been a winner and has been able to beat the best teams in the NFL. Sure, at the end of the year there has been dissapointment, but I like the fact that we've been in teh running every year. I don't think we will be a bad team at all; in fact, this forces us to become a balanced offense and not the msot predictable team in the league. I would feel different if we didn't have two good/potentially great recievers and an above average tight end.

pwn3dyo said:
his contract ends after this season if im correct, i doubt he will come back unless we make the playoffs.

Ends after 2006.

This whole Wanny is potentially the worst outcome of the situation. Even if Wannstedt doesn't say it in any postgame press conferences, there's still going to be the implicit understanding that Ricky left this offense out to dry.

On the other hand, it may force a more decisive hand with the quarterback situation next year (like bringing in something more than a third stringer to compete against a glorified second-string incumbent starter). With or without Ricky, there is going to be a lot of pressure to produce something on offense. In a sense, it was too easy to depend on Ricky as the offensive solution and his presence allowed them to half a$$ other key elements.

With Ricky gone, there really can't be much more of the "we won in spite of, not because of" talk re: quarterback. Now we'll be closer to the truth- whatever that may be.

Schleckbaum said:
This whole Wanny is potentially the worst outcome of the situation. Even if Wannstedt doesn't say it in any postgame press conferences, there's still going to be the implicit understanding that Ricky left this offense out to dry.

On the other hand, it may force a more decisive hand with the quarterback situation next year (like bringing in something more than a third stringer to compete against a glorified second-string incumbent starter). With or without Ricky, there is going to be a lot of pressure to produce something on offense. In a sense, it was too easy to depend on Ricky as the offensive solution and his presence allowed them to half a$$ other key elements.

With Ricky gone, there really can't be much more of the "we won in spite of, not because of" talk re: quarterback. Now we'll be closer to the truth- whatever that may be.

Hey, is that you in that picture you use?

Sirspud said:
It's funny how nobody remembers 2001, when we had an 11-5 record with Lamar Smith as our top running back. I know this year's team easily has more talent than that team, at least on offense..
The difference is back then the AFC was bad. Now the AFC is loaded with good teams. (NE, INDY, KC, Balt, Tenn, Den...etc) In 2001 the AFC had nothing. Oakland was good. Balt was good and that was about it.

I really feel that this decision should be counted as a strike against Dave and will ultimately cost him his job after the season (they should can his *** now!)

The #1 job of a head coach is to motivate players and get the most out of them. He has a full staff of assistants to help with the gameplanning, running drills, calling plays, etc.

This coach took the franchise player and motivated him not to play with 110%....but rather to retire. He failed in his top priority and has to take the responsibility for that.

Ricky said he lost his desire to play football....Did he really lose it over in Jamaica? Or did he lose it when he got back over here and faced the realization of playing for a coach that fails to motivate him?

MikeO , I guess I should have looked for this before I posted the other thread. This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when the news first broke. This will affect the team on that other level in ways that go far beyond one player. Wanny will be given a free pass now that his franchise RB is gone. What gets me is that the team made the playoffs twice with Lamar Smith but not once with Ricky Williams. Why should this be an excuse for Dave?

amen to that-his head should roll! High draft pick, new head coach here we come

It's not Wanny's fault that RW is a mental case. I'm with the Dave is by far NOT the best coach, however, I do give credit when credit is due. REMEMBER, we haven't played a game yet and no one know what the future is in store for the Dolphins.

As far as Ricky is concerned, I say keep your football helmet on and never come back to South Florida!

If Wanny didn't motivate him, boo the freak hoo. He has a job, and a contract. With the money he was paid, he should have motivated himself to play.

As far as Wanny is concerned, lets see what he does in the coming days about this situation.

I think Wanny gets a free pass on this season, then one more chance in 2005. :cry:

MikeO said:
The difference is back then the AFC was bad. Now the AFC is loaded with good teams. (NE, INDY, KC, Balt, Tenn, Den...etc) In 2001 the AFC had nothing. Oakland was good. Balt was good and that was about it.

What are you talking about?! The AFC was a very competative conference in '01 and had some pretty good teams that season, hell the AFC won the Super Bowl. Here were the playoff teams of '01

1. Steelers (13-3)
2. Patriots (11-5)
3. Raiders (10-6)
4. Dolphins (11-5)
5. Ravens (10-6)
6. Jets (10-6)

And the AFC also had the 9-7 Seahawks miss out on the playoffs.

While the NFC may have had some better playoff teams, the teams that did miss out weren't even close, there was a huge gap between the playoff teams and non-playoff teams.

this will give wanny the chance to earn his job
to show he deserves it

do i think he will? no

but if we do win, it will be because of him
because he is good at something other than being homoerotic

if this is his last shot, well then there are no better circumstances from where to accurately judge him.

with talent and expectation he could only do wrong.

do i think this season is a free pass?
no. because what the difference between this season and next season isnt big enough

Back
Top Bottom