Merged: Upshaw dares owners to opt out / NFL Strike | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Upshaw dares owners to opt out / NFL Strike

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
A defiant Gene Upshaw said that if the NFL's owners opt out of the current labor agreement later this year, the players' union is ready for a strike or the decertification tactics it used to get free agency after the 1987 walkout.

"If they want to get out of the deal, there's nothing we can do about it," the executive director of the NFL Players Association said Thursday before the union's annual Super Bowl news conference. "But we'll be prepared."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/31/upshaw.union.ap/index.html

The owners better not pull this, I don't want to waste a season of football watching replacement players.

The owners better not pull this, I don't want to waste a season of football watching replacement players.

clear.gif

6-3.jpg

Upshaw is just a gready pig....making a cushy $7 million a year, while retired players can barely get any health benefits and a meager retirement plan. The NFL makes billions, mostly for the owners, and not the players. No wonder guys like Matt Ditka and Kyle Turley are fed up with Upshaw...he is supposed to be helping the players, but he is in the owner's pockets.

money ruins everthing doesnt it, cant we just enjoy a game on a sunday, no because owners and the league want to rape you, and all the players feel that since they have better genetics then the rest of us that they should be paid like CEO'S as soon as they get out of college

money ruins everthing doesnt it, cant we just enjoy a game on a sunday, no because owners and the league want to rape you, and all the players feel that since they have better genetics then the rest of us that they should be paid like CEO'S as soon as they get out of college

I'd be more inclined to say Money runs everything.

NFL Strike

I Keep hearing rumors about a possible strike in the NFL. Can someone inform me of why and is there a good chance this could actually happen.

I Keep hearing rumors about a possible strike in the NFL. Can someone inform me of why and is there a good chance this could actually happen.

From what I have heard the players union is just pounding their chests over a proposed salary reduction / restructuring deal to reign in player salaries over the next 5-10 seasons.

The option for the player's union to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement comes up this November. Gene Upshaw said the player's union is prepared to strike and have a lockout if a new deal isn't reached.

First and foremost, they better figure out a Rookie salary cap. That is a huge factor in pushing all other salaries through the roof

I am presonally getting pretty upset in hearing the rediculous amounts of money some of these guys are hauling in. If they cant handle being ovenight millionaires, screw every single one of em...

Just my 2cents worth

Back
Top Bottom