Merged:Was Brock Marion a problem last year?/Brock Marion Lost a Step? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Was Brock Marion a problem last year?/Brock Marion Lost a Step?

Ohiophinphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Was Brock Marion a problem last year?

In the post draft news conference there were some questions about the defensive backfield. Dave indicated that Sammy Knight would be making the calls back there next year and then seemed to suggest that Marion did a bad job of it last year. Than when asked whether the problem with Marion was speed, he remarked that speed was NOT (my emphasis) Marion's trouble. That contradicts what my eyes thought they saw and what we have been talking about on this board for months.

In short was the problem with Brock Marion that led him to be a "salary cap casuality" actually something more?

Do you (or anybody else) have a link to a transcript about this or the ability to quote it here? I'd love to read it for myself.

This is also news to me, and I think that will go for most here...

YES!!!

S B. Marion has been the "biggest weakness" in our secondary over the last two to three years IMO. He's out of position more often than not, and he was getting torched by the younger, faster WR's all season long. He's too slow, and he's too old to handle the new generation of WR's....

We should have dumped Marion two years ago when he had some trade value. I never viewed B. Marion as anything other than average. And over the last few seasons, he was absolutely horrible IMO....

PS. DB S. Madison isn't far behind Marion for the "biggest weakness" in 2003 award. His age, and lack of speed is starting to show as well...

PHINZ RULE!!! :D

(On upgrading the free safety position with speed) “I don’t know. Brock could run. I would not say speed, no. Brock Marion, speed was not a problem with him, no.â€Â
link.....last que

here's some more about the safety position....
(On his comfort level with the safety position) “Sammy Knight is going to be better this year that he ever has been for a couple reasons. One, he is so much more familiar with the people, the system. I think coming into the situation he came in last year where Brock was the signal caller back there. Now Sammy will take more of a leadership role. Sammy Knight, I believe is a leader. That is his personality. It is nothing that he is not used to doing. He is looking forward to it. I really like the competition that we are going to have with Antuan Edwards and Arturo Freeman. I believe that we’ve got good competition there and Yeremiah Bell, this kid last year was slowed by injuries. He is 100 percent right now and keep an eye on him. It is going to be exciting to get our there Thursday and see where he is at. He is cleared medically now, has been cleared by the doctors to do everything and he is participating 100 percent in everything that we are doing.â€Â
....nothing to indicate he was upset with the calls or Brocks' speed.....:huh:

Could it have been a simple matter of economics and good depth?

That's the way I read it. The reason Sammy will be making the calls seems to be because Sammy will be more comfortable in that role based on my best reading.

Let's put things in perspective. Brock Marion was a part of the best run defense in the NFL last year. We did not give up a single 100-yard rusher last year - an amazing feat!

I do believe, however, Brock is on the wrong side of 30 and lacks makeup speed with the bigger, faster receivers. Sammy Knight is a younger, better version of Brock and matching speed (Freeman, Edwards, or even possibly Poole) with Knight should make us better.

That said, Brock is still a very good player. I just think we can do better. With Bledsoe reloading this year, Brady, and Pennington there will be a lot of pressure on our secondary. Ironically, our run defense is so good, it puts added pressure on our secondary. I think Spielman had to make the moves.

Really, it's difficult to say. You know Wanny ain't going to bad mouth a player. Even if speed was the problem with Brock, he wouldn't say the guy had lost a step. Who knows what the real reason is.

Agua said:
Really, it's difficult to say. You know Wanny ain't going to bad mouth a player. Even if speed was the problem with Brock, he wouldn't say the guy had lost a step. Who knows what the real reason is.

It was precisely because I know Wanny would not bad mouth a player that it seemed so odd to me. I suppose the interpretation some of you mentioned probably answers my question but it still seems to be out of character for Wanny to make a quote like that even reading it in the best possible light.

Sam Madison is not a problem on Miami's defense. Just because he isn't the top corner in the NFL anymore doesn't mean he is a problem for Miami. Madison is still a top 10 NFL cornerback and is still better than most cornerbacks in the NFL.

What you saw when Madison let receivers get behind him was more than likely Brock Marion being out of position. Miami's corners are supposed to get help in the deep zone areas. The safeties are supposed to play cover 2 over the top.

to those who said brock being out of position was the problem: ding ding ding!! his speed was/is fine, but sometimes he looks in the backfield too much, trying to read the qb. sometimes it gets him picks, other times it gets him beat, and last year he got beat more often than not.

Wannstedt WILL NOT bad mouth a very high character guy like Brock Marion who has done alot for Miami in his tenure here.

Marions age and his speed were against him. Miami needed upgrading.

I will say it. IMO, marion was done a while back. While he was serviceable, he was a shadow of his former self and was out of position on lots of plays. getting beat deep was the big problem. That and his lack of desire to improve on the new zone we were trying to implement. Dolfanreal69

you guys are repeating each other, but yea it was most likely his positioning that lost him his job

Back
Top Bottom