Merged: Was our D vanilla Sunday?/Vanilla or Crunchy Monkey? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Was our D vanilla Sunday?/Vanilla or Crunchy Monkey?

Phinguy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Was our D vanilla Sunday?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ep24,0,6902366.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

:confused: I know many of you have already seen this game twice so I'm curious as to how accurate this article is. Did we just play straight man-to-man most of the night with our coverages.

Maybe I'm getting confused with the alighnments of the defensive line and linebackers which were changed up quite a bit, right?

What do you guys think?

The coverage was so to speak vannila, but no our flavor. Our DBs stood up on the line foe the most part making it harder for the Bills WRs to force their way off the line. That isn't something we have seen to much lately, but yes we did play mostly mam to man, and let out safetys play more of the middlefielder role. It was the front 7 that was giveing the Bills differint looks confusing Drew.

I was thinking the same thing After changing some calls at the line i thre first quarter, we played a pretty standard base D.

I wouldn't say our base D... maybe our base coverages in the secondary, but our front 7 were all over the place... I don't totaly agree with that article.. alot of what we did up front is what caused Bledsoe to have a bad day. Not just cause we played a vanilla coverage. Jason Taylor at LB? T-Buck at DL? no I wouldn't say our base D.

Whatever it was I liked it. Damn, I wish I would have taped the game ;(

OK Which is it? Vanilla or Crunchy Monkey?

I thought our D pulled some odd stuff & maybe even played some 4-6 (or was it a "3-6"...I heard both. Don't know what scheme that is, other than some super dime formation...) against the Bills to great effect, but then there's an article today:

"We didn't try to trick them."

...that makes out that we just played the old vanilla scheme & whipped them with that?

I haven't seen the whole game yet, just highlights (oohhhh my tape arrives tonight!:D ) but was wondering what everyone else saw.....

Read Wanny went oldschool and pulled out his 4-6 D from his Bear days.

Ok, I type too slow & missed the other thread...merge me at your discretion....

I would label our D plain vanilla ag the Bills. We should always be plain vanilla when we are getting pressure w/our front 4 and we have no worries about the run.

ESPN says we borrowed some from the old Bears 46 defense, when we lined up Jason Taylor in the middle with Zach Thomas so he could rush from a standing position.

It worked wonders, the formation resulted in two sacks..one by JT and one by Seau. Ogun was a wrecking machine the whole night.

Playing a vanilla coverage though was the right call against the Bills. Last year the Bills had too many weapons to hit you with to do that and come out on top (Centers, Riemersma, Price, Reed, Moulds, Henry). This year, there are a relatively small number of weapons. Bobby Shaw and Josh Reed are no replacement for Peerless Price no matter how much Bills fans would love to think so. They got rid of Centers and now its Crosby and Gash who don't ever get the ball. They got rid of Riemersma, and the new dude Campbell only scares a defense when they completely forget that he exists.

Its Bledsoe, Henry, and Moulds. And wonder of wonders, we have enough defensive personnel to handle 3 main targets without having to mix up the actual coverages themselves.

We did mix up the front 7 stuff though, there's no denying that.

Back
Top Bottom