Miami Dolphins 2010 NFL Draft Review (Revised) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 2010 NFL Draft Review (Revised)

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
1 - Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State (6-5, 304);
2 - Koa Misi, OLB, Utah (6-3, 251);
3 - John Jerry, G, Ole Miss (6-5, 328);
4 - A.J. Edds, OLB, Iowa (6-3, 247);
5 - Nolan Carroll, CB, Maryland (5-11, 204);
5 - Reshad Jones, S, Georgia (6-1, 214);
7 - Chris McCoy, OLB, Middle Tennessee (6-3, 251);
7 - Austin Spitler, LB, Ohio State (6-3, 235)

Analysis: Miami traded down from No. 12 to No. 28, giving San Diego the right to draft Ryan Mathews for what amounted to a second-round pick (No. 40 overall). The Dolphins also swapped fourth-rounders with the Bolts in the deal, and picked up linebacker Tim Dobbins in exchange for a sixth.

The Dolphins had been widely linked to outside linebacker Sergio Kindle at No. 12, so once he fell to No. 28, they would surely jump on him, right? Uh, nope. Bill Parcells loves big, strong players, and targeted Odrick in order to make his team tougher in the trenches. The Fins got their OLB in the next round, passing up Kindle again to get the solid but relatively unknown Misi. The fourth-rounder, Edds, was a reach but fits the same profile as Misi. Jerry is a big interior lineman who Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams will like running behind.

Carroll fits the profile of the physical corner the Dolphins favor. Jones, rated among the top three strong safeties in the Draft by some, was a fifth-round steal.

Bottom Line: Filled needs at pass rusher and along both lines, but did they take too many chances in doing so?
Grade: B

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/27/1600631/miami-dolphins-2010-nfl-draft.htmlhttp://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/27/1600631/miami-dolphins-2010-nfl-draft.html#ixzz0mKRpPJqk

Odrick is more than just a big, strong lineman. He had more sacks as a DT last season than Kindle did as a DE. He was drafted as a player who will make plays in the backfield. Misi's much better is space than Kindle, and for my money, he's the better all-around athlete. I think Miami saw that the media over-hyped Kindle and ran with it as one smokescreen among many. Had Kindle fallen to the 3rd or 4th, I don't think Miami would have drafted him.

I think you are right. Kindle was the subject of media hype and Parcells seems to gravitate towards the "lunch-pail" hard-worker type

Back
Top Bottom