Miami Dolphins: 5 position groups to watch at OTA’s | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: 5 position groups to watch at OTA’s

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins begin organized team practice activity on Tuesday at the team’s practice facility in Davie.

While no live contact is permitted, 7-on-7, 9-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.

Miami’s OTA dates are May 23-25, May 30-June 1 and June 5-June 8.

The Dolphins will also have a mandatory minicamp from June 13-15.

So with no contact, what exactly can coaches and players get out of these practices?

• The Dolphins can gauge the physical conditioning of older veterans

• The Dolphins can see which second-year players seem ready to make a quantum leap

• The Dolphins can begin to assess the readiness of rookies to contribute early in the season

Here’s a look at 5 position groups we’ll be watching (OTAs are not open to the public but some sessions are open to the media) in the coming weeks:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...-dolphins-5-position-groups-to-watch-at-otas/

My early interest will revolve around the D - Howard and McMillon specifically.

I am interested in all the picks through round 6 as all have a great opportunity to contribute for us this year and IMO for us to continue our winning ways we need for them to contribute too.

The only thing that really matters here is that tannehill participates without issue. Everything else is camp.
I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if cordrea tankersley excels in this setting.

The only thing that really matters here is that tannehill participates without issue. Everything else is camp.
I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if cordrea tankersley excels in this setting.

Whats your read on Tankersley? Seems a little grabby - kinda like the apple comments remember? If he gets some good coaching maybe some potential down the road?

Agreed if flag football is his thing then this camp should fit his skill set like a glovem

Whats your read on Tankersley? Seems a little grabby - kinda like the apple comments remember? If he gets some good coaching maybe some potential down the road?

Grabby when he's threatened by speed which at the NFL level he's gonna see a lot of on the boundary. But he's also got awareness and feel that allows him to have eyes on the qb a lot longer than a lot of guys. I think we are destined for give and take early. He definitely has some things that you can't teach and I mean that in a good way. I want him facing the action as long as possible. That kid trust his wheels an awful lot but he's gonna learn that everyone on the boundary can run in the pros.
If this kid tackles at the pro level (big if) we are gonna steal this by at least a round. Don't overrate the college qb play faced on the college level though. There's a lot of bad timing etc on those tapes.

Last edited:
For me the list to watch is a little different. I'm interested in 1) Linebackers ... including the UDFA kid Chase Allen, 2) DB's ... including the UDFA's Maurice Smith and McTyer, 3) OL ... including both draftee Isaac Asiata and the UDFA Eric Smith of Virginia, 4) DL ... including the two draftees Vincent and Godchaux, but also UDFA Martin-Oguike, and 5) TE's because we have new FA's Julius Thomas and Anthony Fasano to mix into the existing group.

I want to see who 'gets it' quickly and looks to be moving instinctively instead of trying to figure out what to do.

Apples grabbiness was about not locating the football late not getting his head around. not about being threatened by long speed or athletes. Tank doesn't have that his feel for route combos is pretty good but his days of being able to just squat on the sticks and sit on things are over. Cause when you play boundary exclusively you asking for top level speed and overall athletes on a weekly basis.
Get teams behind the sticks and he can squat more in the pros.

For me it's all about what I hope not to see... injuries. I would love to make it through ota's and training camp with no serious injuries heading into September.

Back
Top Bottom