Miami Dolphins name Ryan Tannehill starting quarterback | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins name Ryan Tannehill starting quarterback

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
After more than a decade, the Dolphins believe they finally have found the heir to Dan Marino — rookie Ryan Tannehill.

clear.gif

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill throws a pass in drills as quarterbacks Matt Moore and Pat Devlin watch during Miami Dolphins practice at Dolphins Training Camp in Davie on August 20, 2012. Joe Rimkus Jr. / Staff Photo

Dolphins fans have waited a dozen, maddening years for Dan Marino’s heir to arrive.
They won’t have to wait much longer to see whether Ryan Tannehill is that guy.
Coach Joe Philbin announced Tannehill, the strong-armed rookie from Texas A&M, as the team’s starting quarterback Monday afternoon — formally ending a competition that began when the Dolphins took Tannehill eighth overall on April 26.
Tannehill beat out Matt Moore, the sixth-year veteran who ended the 2011 season as the Dolphins’ starter and team MVP, but who has been largely unimpressive in this month’s practices and exhibition games. David Garrard had been the atop the depth chart before his knee injury took him out of the running.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/21/2960237/miami-dolphins-name-ryan-tannehill.html#storylink=cpy

Wow, we have 2 preseason games left and he's the starter? I'm leaning toward Pat Devlin based on stats alone.

d-1

Wow, we have 2 preseason games left and he's the starter? I'm leaning toward Pat Devlin based on stats alone.

d-1
Really? On stats alone you say?

PlayerAttCompYdsComp%Yds/AttTDINTRating
Ryan Tannehill442526756.86.11082.3
Pat Devlin372218359.54.91170.0
Matt Moore271213644.45.00144.7

Well I will say Devlin is tied for the lead in interceptions and he is playing against 3rd and 4th string players...many who won't make an NFL squad...but where exactly are the stats that make you think he should be starting over Tannehill?

d-1

Philbin wanted to name the starter before the 3rd preseason game and Tannehill has earned the #1 spot.

Really? On stats alone you say?

PlayerAttCompYdsComp%Yds/AttTDINTRating
Ryan Tannehill442526756.86.11082.3
Pat Devlin372218359.54.91170.0
Matt Moore271213644.45.00144.7

Well I will say Devlin is tied for the lead in interceptions and he is playing against 3rd and 4th string players...many who won't make an NFL squad...but where exactly are the stats that make you think he should be starting over Tannehill?

Yes, stat alone, Pat forced that last pass and he was fighting the clock, I believe something like 23 seconds left. Pat has a higher completion rate and take the pick away, because the balll could have been caught, but probably should not have been thrown because of tight coverage. (clock management killed us)

If I consider performance, its Pat hands down based on these 2 games.

I don't have the luxury of seeing them during training camp.

d-1

Yes, stat alone, Pat forced that last pass and he was fighting the clock, I believe something like 23 seconds left. Pat has a higher completion rate and take the pick away, because the balll could have been caught, but probably should not have been thrown because of tight coverage. (clock management killed us)

If I consider performance, its Pat hands down based on these 2 games.

I don't have the luxury of seeing them during training camp.

d-1
Oh well if we can take away and add things lets add the drops as catches for Tannehill and improve his completion percentage, lets add the TD that Wallace dropped and give him another TD on his stats. I like Devlin but he hasn't even faced the 2nd team defense. Tannehill tore into a 2nd team defense, didn't do great against a 1st team defense which is what I expected. What I didn't expect was Matt Moore laying an egg against Carolina's 2nd team defense and had he gone out and lit them up like Tannehill did to Tampa Bay we may not have a starter announced right now...Devlin never had a shot here but I do think he'll be a fine backup in this league.

Back
Top Bottom