Miami Dolphins run defense still an unknown after minicamp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins run defense still an unknown after minicamp

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami-Dolphins-run-defense-still-an-unknown-after-minicamp.jpg

Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff (16) is sacked by Miami Dolphins defensive linemen Cameron Wake (91) and Ndamukong Suh at the LA Coliseum in Los Angeles, on November 20, 2016. File photo by Jon SooHoo/UPI| License Photo

DAVIE, Fla. -- After all these weeks of weightlifting, drills, and 11-on-11s during OTAs (organized team activities) and mini-camp, the Miami Dolphins are no closer to knowing whether their run defense is improved than they were the day after their season ended.
That's the way it goes when there are no pads and no contact.
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/...till-an-unknown-after-minicamp/6261497664452/

Another stupid offseason article! The run defense improved immensely....

We know that because we upgraded talent - I can name 8 players that are here that were not playing last year and will improve us - Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Nate Allen, Lawrence Timmons, Raekwon McMillan, Charles Harris, Cordrea Tankersley, William Hayes,

I can likely name a bunch more that will contribute more than ever - Phillips, Xavien Howard, Lawrence Okoye, Mike Hull, Godchaux

And because it was a given fact that at this time of year NO -ONE could tell if this team would be improved in run defense this year the article is about nothing right now...

We know that because we upgraded talent - I can name 8 players that are here that were not playing last year and will improve us - Reshad Jones, TJ McDonald, Nate Allen, Lawrence Timmons, Raekwon McMillan, Charles Harris, Cordrea Tankersley, William Hayes,

I can likely name a bunch more that will contribute more than ever - Phillips, Xavien Howard, Lawrence Okoye, Mike Hull, Godchaux

And because it was a given fact that at this time of year NO -ONE could tell if this team would be improved in run defense this year the article is about nothing right now...

Raekwon McMillan - So far, we don't even know if he will start this year (presumed starters - Alonso, Timmons, and Missing)
Cordrea Tankersley - He will definitely not see too much playing time this year
Mike Hull - Mike Hull might only play on special teams
Godchaux - He has the talent but we have Suh and Phillips and capable backup in Okoye.
Lawrence Okoye - Interesting prospect and very very athletic. If he makes it to the 53, who do we cut? Maybe we keep him or Vincent Taylor

Miami-Dolphins-run-defense-still-an-unknown-after-minicamp.jpg

Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff (16) is sacked by Miami Dolphins defensive linemen Cameron Wake (91) and Ndamukong Suh at the LA Coliseum in Los Angeles, on November 20, 2016. File photo by Jon SooHoo/UPI| License Photo

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/...till-an-unknown-after-minicamp/6261497664452/

I don't know about immensely. That seems a little strong in June. I will, however, give what I see as encouraging signs (with injuries always the caveat). First, this isn't the 1st year in the system. Many underestimate the importance of that. Few will argue Timmons isn't an upgrade. The number of backups playing the last 4-6 games shouldn't be in the game at the same time this year. And a number of backups (e.g., McMillan? or Misi) will be an improvement over last year's backups. Jones back and healthy. Of X, Howard, and Lippet, I expect two to play significantly better than last year. WHICH two is open to debate. I expect Harris to be productive with Wake on the other side. Miami actually has some run-stuffing DEs. Overall talent, IMO, is improved. My biggest worry is slot and the biggest question is Phillips.

Nowhere to go but up since we were ranked dead last in rushing YPC. But I don't think we've really added enough to turn it around. Looking at the front 7, Suh and Hayes are pretty stout against the run, a healthy Misi as well, but Wake not so much, Branch and Phillips were flat out bad, you'd have to say Timmons at this stage in his career in a different scheme than the one he spent a decade in is a complete unknown, Raekwon as a rookie is an unknown, we'll see how often he even sees the field given some of the vets we have at the position, same uncertainty with Charles Harris, and defending the run has never really been a strength of Kiko's. I'm certainly not banking on the set of tackles we took late the draft, they're probably too green right now. We took Raekwon at 54, Dalvin Tomlinson went next, hope we don't regret passing on him.

I may just be a casual fan who knows nothing, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement in the run defense. If there is improvement, it will be minimal at best. Miami was Top 5 against the run under Nolan. Philbin hired Coyle, the scheme was changed, and the rushing defense immediately dropped in the rankings during their first season. It kept dropping each year after that, no matter who was on the field. Out goes Philbin and Coyle and in comes Gase and Joseph. The defense under Joseph was IMO not much different than the defense under Coyle, and the results were similar... anyone could run at will against Miami's defense. This year, Burke will be running basically the same defense as Joseph. The schemes/defenses they've been using have proven to be ineffective against the run, so why won't they change them?

Personnel changes alone will improve the run defense. Timmons is far from unknown and brings a tougher mentality that hopefully will spread. I would be shocked if McMillan isn't ready early and with Misi's injury history will probably be required to play sooner than later. The DC is somewhat unknown but the run defense had been such an issue, I would expect a focus on it all camp.

We also don't know who the 2017-18 Super Bowl champ will be after OTA, and mini camps. We won't know how the run defense will be till week 4 of the regular season, or so. We did the roster work to make it better, but till it's for real we won't know.

All three inside LB spots are improved, four if you count the primary backup for those spots, that alone will improve the run D greatly. We had guys starting at inside LB last year that had no business starting an NFL game, and they started for most of the season.

Add to that improvements with our DE depth, and add to that the best single factor, the return of Rashad Jones!

Our run D should be vastly improved from last year.

One thing I can say is I believe the run defense will be better than last year with the new additions. Hayes & Timmons are locks to improve this area as sure upgrades. Even our new safeties will provide a more physical game than what we had even though IAQ was solid overall. (He wasn't all that physical). Getting Reshad back will help as well.

That being said, the question remains....How improved? I'd like to say we would jump from bottom of the league to just below mid-range based on those elements alone.

If we find a starting level DT (Phillips) who can play quality early downs then we make an even bigger jump. All they really need is someone to play run downs as Hayes should kick inside as well as some of our other DE's in certain passing situations. They really should only be counting on two of the other young players to provide relief snaps if they can make the team.

Whether or not Phillips maintains the consistency in camp and PS games will determine whether or not they go after a FA like SenDerrick Marks or Dan Williams. I would be shocked if both of the rookies made the 53 and happy if just one makes it.

I really think the big issue last year with run D was technique, not as much personnel. No, we didn't have a bunch of pro bowlers trying to stop the run, but we were horrible at setting the edge at the line, and our LB's, everyone one of them (including Alonzo), overcommitted early on many occasions and guessed wrong - that leads to big plays. What stunned me is Mr. hot commodity Vance Joseph didn't seem to enforce better discipline in those areas because we seemed to get worse on those things as the season went on. I hope this new D coord enforces that better, because I do believe we have better personnel now, but big problems will continue to exist if the discipline doesn't.

You definitely have your Dolphins glasses on with those names lol. Reshad was playing when we were 1-4 and the defense was giving up runs like candy on Halloween. Pretty sure Reshad was on the field when the Titans ran for 235 yards. McDonald is suspended for the first 8 games. Nate Allen didn't even start in Philadelphia but now he's apparently an all pro with the Dolphins. Timmons, I hope, will be an upgrade over Alonso in the middle but I do worry about his lateral quickness at his age. McMillan is a rookie...are you seriously putting him on this list? I can tell you right now that Koa Misi is better against the run...Misi is actually our best run defending linebacker he just can't stay on the field. Harris's biggest knock was his inability to play the run during the draft process and he's also a rookie. Tankersley? Seriously...SERIOUSLY!! William Hayes is absolutely a big help.

As for your second list...Phillips has been a disappointment. He hasn't shown any ability to stop the run...he's been here the last two years and we've gone from 25th against the run to 30th...he's been part of the problem.
Howard is a CB but he definitely plays the run well. He will help.
Okoye...again you're going to hurt yourself reaching this much. A guy that's bounced around practice squad after practice squad is going to make a difference? lol
Mike Hull...that's cute.
Godchaux...another rookie? I've heard more about Taylor, the other rookie, than I've heard about Godchaux...not to mention DTs don't come in this league and have early success unless they're top 15 picks.

Because there isn't anything wrong with the other 31 teams.

Back
Top Bottom