Miami Dolphins scrimmage wrap: The good and the not-so good | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins scrimmage wrap: The good and the not-so good

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
THE GOOD

-Chad Henne
The unofficial numbers went like this: 10-of-15, 146 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. Keep in mind, those numbers are indeed unofficial – in fact, un-, un-, un-, unofficial might be a better way to term it, as they were compiled by some beat hacks in the media crow’s nest. We did our best. Regardless, you didn’t need to keep stats on Sunday to realize that Henne had a very strong day. The interception was a bad one – Karlos Dansby would have returned it for a 94-yard touchdown had it been a real game – but take away that and Henne was nearly flawless. He also threw a fourth touchdown pass to Marshall that was dropped.

THE NOT-SO GOOD

-Quarterbacks outside of Henne
We still have a ways to go before the start of the regular season, and things can change, but right now Henne isn’t receiving serious competition from anyone. Matt Moore, Kevin O’Connell and Pat Devlin weren’t awful on Sunday. It’s not as if they made a lot of mistakes. But they didn’t make too many plays, either. Moore has the best shot to give Henne a run for the starting job, but Henne was comfortably out in front before Sunday and, after it, this isn’t much of a race at this point.

-Secondary play
The Dolphins secondary should be solid and shouldn’t be an area of too much concern when the season begins but the pass defense was abused at times on Sunday. Marshall was the primary culprit and that’s forgivable, perhaps, given he’s as talented as any receiver in the game. Still, there were some other lapses in pass coverage that allowed receivers to run free down the field. While Dansby had an interception, no cornerback or safety did on Sunday.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

I don't find that INT as forgivable as some do - reminded me exactly of the Raiders' pick from last season, which happened about 30-40 yards in front of me. In a real game situation that would have been a back-breaker, as it was several times last season. Keep in mind Henne's two TDs came on back-to-back plays. It's not like he marched the team down for two TD scores, then happened to throw an INT on a third march down the field.

I want to be optimistic about Henne, but I think it's important people be realistic about what they're actually observing or reading about. My takeaways from yesterday: Marshall and Henne might be developing SOME chemistry (Henne probably knows to look for Marshall in man coverage, and has agreed to get him the ball in man), and Henne is still prone to head-scratching INTs. People are acting like his performance yesterday was some sort of epic improvement.

Now what HAS improved noticeably so is Henne's demeanor and confidence (just watch his presser from yesterday). If you ask me, the coaching staff is doing EXACTLY what the Jets have done with Sanchez. Give him the easy stuff to build up his confidence, and more importantly, get his teammates believing in him (ie, Bush's tweets). You think Reggie Bush knows Henne is abysmal against the zone and did well yesterday because of man coverage? Of course not, and I'll bet most of the other guys don't think like that either.

Back
Top Bottom